Morgan Lucas Racing Pulling the Plug? (1 Viewer)

Has anyone noticed on the Fox broadcast how much time cameras spend viewing cars at a distance? From the finish line and above the rear. They spend very little time showing the billboard sides of the cars. I was paying more attention today than I normally do and it's almost as if they are avoiding closeups until the few seconds before cars leave the line. I'm sure Morgan Lucas isn't the only one unhappy with ratio of money spent verses exposure. With ESPN cameras were so close teams were often shooing them away.

Lucas Oil is even on the Sheraton Hotel sign on the 10 fwy by the Fairplex!

I dropped by the MLR early pit today and it was business as usual, lots of activity in the hospitality tent. But when I left the track late after the race, it was quiet. Usually at that pit, on Sunday nights of the Finals, they are party central and this time there was no party.

I for one extend a thank you to the Lucas family for everything they did to further this sport of drag racing that this fan loves. I respect and applaud Morgan for setting aside his pursuit of play time with the cars and stepping up to the plate of handling serious business.

I find it strange it wasn't mentioned on todays broadcast even though they talked about Richie a few times.
I don't. Remember, the FS1 show we see is essentially an NHRA produced program. That also means the content is chosen, and therefore edited for content by the NHRA. I doubt they could put any positive spin on a successful businessman worth hundreds of millions of dollars leaving the sport because he could no longer justify it as an advertising tool when NHRA is constantly pushing drag racing as a viable advertising tool for businesses.

I think that the producers behind the scene should work on their reaction times as to when to push the button to change cameras as the cars go down the track. Seems like they are asleep when the tree comes down.

Lucas Oil is even on the Sheraton Hotel sign on the 10 fwy by the Fairplex!

I dropped by the MLR early pit today and it was business as usual, lots of activity in the hospitality tent. But when I left the track late after the race, it was quiet. Usually at that pit, on Sunday nights of the Finals, they are party central and this time there was no party.

I for one extend a thank you to the Lucas family for everything they did to further this sport of drag racing that this fan loves. I respect and applaud Morgan for setting aside his pursuit of play time with the cars and stepping up to the plate of handling serious business.
Paul, they didn't have the Lucas party last year either.

Guys , be realistic about this. The Lucas TF operation, I'm betting, was more about Morgan following his dream. Does everyone here realize how often the Lucas name is seen at the races? Series sponsors, zillions of sportsman cars, event sponsors, and on and on. I knew this was coming when Morgan decided to stop running fulltime. Read Morgan's explanation, they've saturated the market. How could they possibly get a return on 3.5 Mil a year on top of everything else they do? This isn't rocket science. Now, having said that, NHRA should pay attention to what Morgan touched on, like selective airtime for certain teams, and the never ending spiraling costs.

if lucas oil only had a TF team and did not sponsor the plethora of other motorsport series, events, competitors and other sporting entities, i would be very worried about their departure from actual TF racing......that doesn't seem to be the case. i sincerely hope they continue with their event sponsorship @ brainerd every august with charlotte handing out the winner's trophies.....it's kinda' cool. would guess their team members will be quickly absorbed by other teams

Aaron Brooks has his hands in a few team's joint ventures as for the guys working on their team, It might be a bit difficult but it's the end of the season where other teams have turnover in that dept.

Lucas will still have their name on the JFR cars. The little Lucas Oil decals on the JFR cars got way more air time on tv than the MLR TF car did. Plus I'm sure they are still keeping "The Greek" on the "pay roll"

funny that Lucas makes the argument the class doesn't provide enough exposure to warrant their participation,
yet jegs is jumping in feet first with a first rate operation.......IMO i like lucas' move out of the class. would rather see them
participate in and sponsor many other events and series than tie up too many dollars with one effort.
the old adage, would you rather have ten $1000 jobs or one $10,000 job.....i'll take the ten $1000 jobs every day.

funny that Lucas makes the argument the class doesn't provide enough exposure to warrant their participation,
yet jegs is jumping in feet first with a first rate operation.

I wouldn't compare the two. For Morgan's team to compete for top fuel world championships, he would have to add 2 to 3 cars, some kind of R & D department and other stuff. That's a big difference from someone showing up at an established team with a check.

.... as well as how outrageous the costs are, even for the wealthy.
^^^^
This is the big takeaway. What happens if one morning The Don wakes up and decides, "I don't want to do this any more."?

.... NHRA should pay attention to what Morgan touched on, like selective airtime for certain teams ....
And this, which is a sore spot for TV viewers as well as team owners.

Last edited:
Jeg's is not going TF racing for more exposure. Seriously, could they get any more exposure at the races? Just like the Lucas family did, they ran TF for their kid. And now Jegs is doing the same thing for Troy Jr. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not about getting "more exposure". IMO, anyway, maybe I'm way off...

^^^^
This is the big takeaway. What happens if one morning The Don wakes up and decides, "I don't want to do this any more."?

It's gonna happen eventually but the big question is when?? The Don is no spring chicken.

Also read somewhere that Kenny Bernstein wanted to hop back into a car but that could be a pipe dream as George Bryce was thinking about hopping back on a bike. Believe it when you see it, cool...well... yes. If the Greek is still doing it, Why can't they?

I imagine the weekly grind of waiting for your flight and waiting again for you rental car to the hotel then waiting there to get into your room and up at the crack of dawn to head to the track can take a toll. And then factor in the time zone changes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back