John? What's the deal?? (1 Viewer)

John deserves respect. I do think he should let us know something but maybe he's wanting to wait till he has all the information he needs to give a statement. He could be waiting on answers from his sponsors. As much as he loves the sport maybe it's just a very difficult statement to make. I can't imagine the stress he's under.

If you are a MAJOR sponsor of NHRA - Mello Yello "The official drink", Sonoco is the official fuel, etc, etc one of the benefits you get is any competitive product is not allowed.
I have a friend that uses Nitro a lot of it and said there are ways to save on the high price of Nitro that's why you don't hear the big teams complaining. !!!!

Schumacher was caught and it cost him $100k.
he had a drum of nitro for Monday testing, being stored in one of the trailers...they saw it and fined...it was NOT being used during the event. Before anyone says anything, a Monday test session is put on by the track and is not part of the national event, therefore, drink all the Mountain Dew you want and burn all the off brand nitro ;-)

NASCAR is in Texas this week ... Texas Motor Speedway holds 130,000 but regulations are allowing only 50% capacity. Be interesting to see if they can actually sell 65,000 seats and how many racing fans are willing to go. True litmus test for fans and motorsports this weekend.
No one hardly goes to any outdoor sporting event in Texas, in July!

he had a drum of nitro for Monday testing, being stored in one of the trailers...they saw it and fined...it was NOT being used during the event. Before anyone says anything, a Monday test session is put on by the track and is not part of the national event, therefore, drink all the Mountain Dew you want and burn all the off brand nitro ;-)

He paid the fine.

No one hardly goes to any outdoor sporting event in Texas, in July!
Hard to tell due to the monstrous size of the main grandstands. TMS spaced each group out in advance when the tickets were purchased (basically you were assigned seats for your group) to provide built-in social distancing. But to me there were plenty of fans cooking in them stands yesterday. I'd bet 20,000 or so.

Not at all because of COVID-19, but free tickets wouldn't be good enough for me to spend almost 4 hours in the searing July Texas heat. That would go for any sporting event for me motorsports or otherwise.

If you are a MAJOR sponsor of NHRA - Mello Yello "The official drink", Sonoco is the official fuel, etc, etc one of the benefits you get is any competitive product is not allowed.

Not true, Lucas is the official oil, Toyota is the official car, Summit is the official mail order company. Should I go on?

Alan

Than why can't a competitor of Mello Yello (Coca Cola) or Sunoco (nitro) sell their products?
Alan, Mike, Don, or Tony can correct me if I'm wrong but when a fuel company like Sunoco or VP signs a contract with NHRA I think they request exclusivity. It is a huge commitment they are making and if anyone can sell the fuel it would obviously cut into their profit margin and it may not be worth the commitment they make. They are committing to more then just selling fuel to the racers. They have at least 3 semi truck and trailers that stay out and follow the tour to every race that has drivers that have to be paid and housed in hotels. Plus, they have another couple of semi trucks and trailers that will bring in new drums and pick up the empties. They also have a lot of federal and state rules they have to abide by like having security at night watching the trailers when the drivers are at the hotel. Their drivers, Frank, Terry, and Ralph that stay out on the road also bring the barrels to the racers pits and pick up the empties or a partial barrel and haul it to the next track so the teams don't have to haul it and they stay over and supply fuel on scheduled Mon test days. They also have to work with Homeland Security to make sure that there is not another tragedy like the bombing of the Oklahoma City Federal building. Every year at the start of the season in Pomona the fuel supplier and Homeland Security has a mandatory meeting that at least 1 team representative has to attend to get certified. I have had to attend those meetings ever since that unfortunate tragedy. So yes it is important that they control who sells the fuel...because the next time something goes wrong there will be no more nitro racing.

Last edited:
Than why can't a competitor of Mello Yello (Coca Cola) or Sunoco (nitro) sell their products?

Denver (Bandimere) among others are Pepsi sponsored tracks and Pepsi products are sold. NHRA has a spec. Nitro, just as NASCAR has a spec fuel, Pro Stock has a spec fuel, and many others as well. Spec fuel is not uncommon at all in Motorsports.

Alan

Denver (Bandimere) among others are Pepsi sponsored tracks and Pepsi products are sold. NHRA has a spec. Nitro, just as NASCAR has a spec fuel, Pro Stock has a spec fuel, and many others as well. Spec fuel is not uncommon at all in Motorsports.

Alan

The Worsham's had Pepsi logos n their trailers.I asked Chuck about them & he told me NHRA wanted them removed. He refused & NHRA backed down. :)

Alan, Mike, Don, or Tony can correct me if I'm wrong but when a fuel company like Sunoco or VP signs a contract with NHRA I think they request exclusivity. It is a huge commitment they are making and if anyone can sell the fuel it would obviously cut into their profit margin and it may not be worth the commitment they make. They are committing to more then just selling fuel to the racers. They have at least 3 semi truck and trailers that stay out and follow the tour to every race that has drivers that have to be paid and housed in hotels. Plus, they have another couple of semi trucks and trailers that will bring in new drums and pick up the empties. They also have a lot of federal and state rules they have to abide by like having security at night watching the trailers when the drivers are at the hotel. Their drivers, Frank, Terry, and Ralph that stay out on the road also bring the barrels to the racers pits and pick up the empties or a partial barrel and haul it to the next track so the teams don't have to haul it. They also have to work with Homeland Security to make sure that there is not another tragedy like the bombing of the Oklahoma City Federal building. Every year at the start of the season in Pomona the fuel supplier and Homeland Security has a mandatory meeting that at least 1 team representative has to attend to get certified. I have had to attend those meetings ever since 911. So yes it is important that they control who sells the fuel...because the next time something goes wrong there will be no more nitro racing.
Thanks for the info Eugene. You've given a great synopsis of all that Sunoco provides. They obviously have a lot of overhead.

One possible difference between simply being a "spec" fuel (like NASCAR, IndyCar, etc. have had for many years) and what NHRA/Sunoco are doing is how the fuel is provided to the teams. NHRA teams have to BUY the fuel from Sunoco; I honestly don't know if, in some of these other series, the teams have to pay for the fuel or if it is just provided by the fuel sponsor? And even if they do pay for it, I would bet that fuel makes up a MUCH greater portion of the budget for a nitro team than in almost any other series. So being able to shop competitively and get the best price (on a product where we have seen there CAN be a significant variation in price between suppliers) can make a reasonably significant difference in the operations of a nitro team.

If I were NHRA and negotiating the sponsorship deal with Sunoco and giving them a monopoly on fuel sales, I would want to have something in there regarding pricing to ensure that teams in my series, many of whom are living hand-to-mouth, are paying the lowest price possible for fuel.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back