John? What's the deal?? (1 Viewer)

I heard the same rumors of a possible shutdown after this weekend. If Forces shop is shutdown, he would have to hire back 4 qualified full time crews, for a month? That makes sense to me, but again, I agree that something should be released to the media...even if to say, “we are evaluating the current landscape” or something like that

Honestly I don't think John or anyone one from JFR owes anyone an explanation about why they are absent. I doubt we will see a press release soon. Reason being John is a very smart businessman. I have been told by several teams that sponsors are using their “out” clause in their contract to either sit out the entire 2020 season or renegotiating their contracts based upon reduced number of races, what will be low spectator count and anticipated low viewership on broadcast programs. I doubt John will throw any sponsor under the bus by saying so and so company backed out of their contract, so I am not racing. Imagine what the so called fans would do on social media to any sponsor he would name. I do expect after another week or so for John’s “people” to have a spin on the story where John accepts responsibility for parking all the teams – that is unless he is able to work out some type of reduced budget that both the sponsor(s) and JFR can live with. Keep in mind payouts were cut by 30% plus nitro has increased in price. In addition there is a rumor for the last three weeks that NHRA will be pulling the plug on 2020 if the COVID-19 pandemic continues to show a second wave which it is. I think he made a great business move one that should keep JFR alive into 2021 and beyond.

I would normally agree with the ‘they don’t owe anyone an explanation’ line for practically any other team, but JFR is a whole different ballgame. It’s a team built on a fan following, and the fans are getting pretty riled up on some of their social media. And in some ways I don’t blame them, as they have been loyal to Force for a lot of years.
I don’t think they even have to explain anything in great detail, just a simple statement like ‘we are planning our next move in these strange times, and we will have news for you all soon’.
That said, Force is way smarter than me when it comes to running a team, so I do have faith that whatever they are doing in the background will be the right thing.

I would normally agree with the ‘they don’t owe anyone an explanation’ line for practically any other team, but JFR is a whole different ballgame. It’s a team built on a fan following, and the fans are getting pretty riled up on some of their social media. And in some ways I don’t blame them, as they have been loyal to Force for a lot of years.
I don’t think they even have to explain anything in great detail, just a simple statement like ‘we are planning our next move in these strange times, and we will have news for you all soon’.
That said, Force is way smarter than me when it comes to running a team, so I do have faith that whatever they are doing in the background will be the right thing.
Exactly Luke ... the fans have provided JFR with a lot of revenue through merchandise purchases and the like. That reason alone is why some type of release should come out of JFR.

Fans are fickle and do hold grudges. If John wants them back when (if) they return, a generic communication about making a business decision to sit out would carry a lot of weight. Doesn't have to name names. Simply state he alone made a business decision he felt was in his best business interests right now.

I'm on the side of the folks that believe there should be a statement out of that camp. If there were ever a person to be tagged as the "franchise" of the NHRA, he would most certainly be it. I will go further in saying that I believe that he also sees it that way, as well as believes he should be making a statement of some sort. That alone tells me there could very well be something much bigger going on behind the scenes as Marc suggests.

I hope I'm wrong.....

Sean D

Exactly Luke ... the fans have provided JFR with a lot of revenue through merchandise purchases and the like. That reason alone is why some type of release should come out of JFR.

Fans are fickle and do hold grudges. If John wants them back when (if) they return, a generic communication about making a business decision to sit out would carry a lot of weight. Doesn't have to name names. Simply state he alone made a business decision he felt was in his best business interests right now.

True. John Force is pretty unique in that he actually made his fortune via drag racing. And not just from purse money by winning a ton of races, but mostly from fans. By buying his merchandise and/or simply making him extremely popular and well-known (and thus attractive to sponsors in a way that almost no one else in the sport has been in the past couple decades, though that has clearly slipped in the last few years) his popularity with fans has made him wealthy and successful. And that popularity is due in large part to his talkative, communicative personality. JFR is a PR and marketing organization as much as, or more than, a race team. It would be a different story with someone like the Capco or Scrappers teams who pretty much do it because they want to, and NHRA just happens to sell tickets for us to watch their hobby (though both of them have actually done a better job with this than Force has over the past couple weeks).

Those of us who hae been around and fremember John when he was a leaker and begging to get into races are appalled at some of tghe things gthat are being said. :(

I have said this in the past and it still holds true. The people that know are not going to talk which is the way it should be, and the people that don't know are going to guess. When JFR is ready I suspect they will inform the rest of the drag racing world. Until then we will just have to make our own decision if we think drag racing is still exciting without the JFR cars. I have already made my decision, so I will still be here as long as there are at least 2 cars racing side by side... and I'm still breathing. :)

Last edited:
They allowed 30,000 fans to attend the NASCAR All Star race in Bristol , but about 20,000 showed up. There were no fans at any of the races previously.
People are staying away during this second wave.....you would think there wouldn't be any unsold seats

They allowed 30,000 fans to attend the NASCAR All Star race in Bristol , but about 20,000 showed up. There were no fans at any of the races previously.
People are staying away during this second wave.....you would think there wouldn't be any unsold seats

Not sure how much of THAT has to do with the virus at all... it's just NASCAR. Fans have been social distancing at their races for years now. Heck, 30k is MAYBE what they got for the night race at Bristol last year- one of the more hyped races on the calendar, and not that long ago one of the toughest tickets to get in sports. This was an exhibition race in the middle of the week. I would say it was gimmicky as well, but it's hard to say if there are any more gimmicks in this race than in a regular points paying race anymore. Not to mention the fact that NASCAR spent the past six weeks or so further alienating whatever traditional fanbase they have left and unabashedly jumping on the social justice bandwagon. Finally, I think a lot of people are like me and know that any "major" sporting event is going to be ridiculous virus theater, with never ending reminders of just how wonderfully responsible they are being. That last one will be a definite problem for NHRA if they continue to run their events like they did at Indy, but the rest are NASCAR'S own issues...

Not sure how much of THAT has to do with the virus at all... it's just NASCAR. Fans have been social distancing at their races for years now. Heck, 30k is MAYBE what they got for the night race at Bristol last year- one of the more hyped races on the calendar, and not that long ago one of the toughest tickets to get in sports. This was an exhibition race in the middle of the week. I would say it was gimmicky as well, but it's hard to say if there are any more gimmicks in this race than in a regular points paying race anymore. Not to mention the fact that NASCAR spent the past six weeks or so further alienating whatever traditional fanbase they have left and unabashedly jumping on the social justice bandwagon. Finally, I think a lot of people are like me and know that any "major" sporting event is going to be ridiculous virus theater, with never ending reminders of just how wonderfully responsible they are being. That last one will be a definite problem for NHRA if they continue to run their events like they did at Indy, but the rest are NASCAR'S own issues...
NASCAR is in Texas this week ... Texas Motor Speedway holds 130,000 but regulations are allowing only 50% capacity. Be interesting to see if they can actually sell 65,000 seats and how many racing fans are willing to go. True litmus test for fans and motorsports this weekend.

NASCAR is in Texas this week ... Texas Motor Speedway holds 130,000 but regulations are allowing only 50% capacity. Be interesting to see if they can actually sell 65,000 seats and how many racing fans are willing to go. True litmus test for fans and motorsports this weekend.

IndyCar is in Iowa with fans as well. They did have fans at Road America this past weekend for a doubleheader (with no real requirements for spectators other than them not being allowed in the garage area FWIW). But that's a little different because it is a road course and is very spread out and "rural" even by road course standards. It's as much like spending the day at a park as it is going to a race, so it's not unusual to not be close to people if you don't care to be. Haven't looked for attendance numbers (formal or informal) there, but I'm guessing it was pretty good. Iowa will be the first typical grandstand type race with fans for them.

Doesn't it seem odd that the state of Texas is bringing 65,000 fans into a track, at the same time that they're bringing refrigerated trucks into the state?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back