I f you could change one of these (2 Viewers)

Ted,

As you say, those on this site are "Die Hard Drag Racing Fans" and I fully understand that some don't care for the 4-Wide.

But ticket sales clearly show that casual fans are interested in seeing it. And if the 4-Wide generates new fans then I think it's worth it. Because some of those new fans might have never given us a chance otherwise.

I have preached for years that if you have never been to a race in person, or if it's been years since you have, to come out one time and give us a chance. The 4-Wide does get new people to the track. And some of those will come back.

My hope would be that as hard core fans you would understand that reaching out to new fans is essential and sometimes that means finding ways to attract them. Even if it means racing 4-wide a couple of times a year.

Alan

Ted,

As you say, those on this site are "Die Hard Drag Racing Fans" and I fully understand that some don't care for the 4-Wide.

But ticket sales clearly show that casual fans are interested in seeing it. And if the 4-Wide generates new fans then I think it's worth it. Because some of those new fans might have never given us a chance otherwise.

I have preached for years that if you have never been to a race in person, or if it's been years since you have, to come out one time and give us a chance. The 4-Wide does get new people to the track. And some of those will come back.

My hope would be that as hard core fans you would understand that reaching out to new fans is essential and sometimes that means finding ways to attract them. Even if it means racing 4-wide a couple of times a year.

Alan
The race was sold out at 50% capacity I think at least a week in advance, who knows how many more would have bought tickets if they could hav, I agree that in person is the best way to experance it, but hard to follow each race

For debate... What IF all those new ticket buyers are like many/most old timers and don't really care for the 4 wide? What if they had enjoyed a two lane race better? There's no easy way to know one way or the other until they've experienced both. Personally, I think the total number of cars going down the track on Saturday or Sunday at places like Gainesville is the reason half the ticket buyers don't see the finals. The 4 wide should help with that somewhat. At the same time, if it's just a big explosion of horsepower, you get that with a T/F two wide. The stick and ball folks know their ticket buyers are happy to come back a lot for a 3.5 hour show.

It's been a while since I posted, but I think Alan's on to something here and that a lot are missing his point.

I've been to exactly one four wide, at Charlotte. My experience was two things: 1. I did not like four cars competing at once. In the least. 2. The experience of four fuel cars leaving and going down the track will make even someone who's been to years and years of racing take a step back. It is mind boggling.

Putting it plainly, these races are not for people like us who read and post here. I found it impossible to get any sense of what each racer was doing, any problems that occurred, and why they were off the pace (if they were). That held true for the slower classes like PS and PSM also.

But the sensory impact is amazing. Yes, these are races but they are modified to be more of an exhibition for those who aren't all that familiar with drag racing and may not know any car in a class from another. Those are the people who won't be telling their friends the next day "You wouldn't believe how hard Wilkerson hit the front half". It's going to be more like "The ground was shaking and I felt it all over my body!"

So, it's a different form and aimed at bringing in new blood. And sadly, drag racing needs that desperately. I don't see myself ever going to another one but I don't have a problem that they exist as long as the circus aspect doesn't take over the entire series.

Between the two options in the subject post, eliminate 4 wide. But neither is necessary. As Alan said, it’s only two races a year and having been to two of them, I won’t go back again. But if it works for the track, so be it.

On the 1000 ft vs 1320, I know there are a lot of traditionalists out there. I’ve been going to races for 60 years and the experience isn’t diminished at all for me at 1000 ft. All the action is first half of the track and I normally sit at the start. Not sure I believe anyone can tell the difference if you only showed them a clip of the last second. It’s a head game. I also believe that if you flash a 3.50 time at 350mph, the crowd would go nuts even if the run was actually 3.70 and 330.

everyone keeps mentioning traditionalist like the 1320. For me its got nothing to do with tradition. Its just less appealing. By lopping off one quarter of the track you've eliminated any kind of top end charge, pedal fest, and it comes off pretty 'Meh' on TV. To be fair though i have never been to a 1000ft race live, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't change my mind

everyone keeps mentioning traditionalist like the 1320. For me its got nothing to do with tradition. Its just less appealing. By lopping off one quarter of the track you've eliminated any kind of top end charge, pedal fest, and it comes off pretty 'Meh' on TV. To be fair though i have never been to a 1000ft race live, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't change my mind

We went to only the second ever 1000' event at Seattle in 2008. I was very disappointed when they changed to 1000' but you could see the writing on the wall that something had to change. However I was thrilled that they didn't go 1/8 mile like Jim Head and other racers were discussing when Scott Kalitta was killed.
When we saw the racing at that Seattle event I was so happy that the distance reduction did NOTHING to diminish my enjoyment of the racing ! NHRA definitely made the correct decision there.
So James, I gotta say "Go check it out, THEN comment on it". I am convinced that you will change your mind !

You haven't been to a race in over 12 years, but you know that you hate it? How?

Alan

No top end charge? What would you call this?

I'm telling you, these are not the fuel cars of years ago. Even though they click 'em at 1000ft, they cover the next 320 so damn fast that if you didn't know otherwise, it would be hard to tell when they shut them. I grew up on the sport, and still enjoy every aspect of it. I don't mind 1000FT given the performances these cars deliver. Having said that, if they backed them down so they ran 330 in 1/4 mile, I'd be ok with that too. If I could change one thing, it would be the tires. I believe Robert Hight said the modern fuel tires are some type of synthetic compound, and they just don't make the billows of smoke. That IS something I miss.

You haven't been to a race in over 12 years, but you know that you hate it? How?

Alan

No top end charge? What would you call this?
correct, i haven't been to a race in 12 years, however i've been to well over a 100 in my lifetime so i pretty much know what to expect. and your gonna cite a random race to disprove my point !! I'm sure a top end charge occasionally still happens but with a shorter track and only a handful of races per event, where both cars are even under power, at the stripe, i'm sure it's a rarity

James,
Your mind is made up and I'm not arguing with you. You made a blanket statement and I pointed out that it was inaccurate.

I don't get how you can be so sure of something that you have never experienced, but if you are then you are.

The cars today are at least a couple of thousand HP stronger than they were in 2008 and the in person experience is pretty amazing.

I'm off to Atlanta, I hope you have a great weekend!
Alan

I hope you have a great weekend!
Alan
were you sincere about that or did i detect a tone of sarcasm :p :p

. . . . make no mistake , the reason i stopped attending was not solely because of 1000ft but because the carload of people i used to go with are either no longer around or to frail to endure a full day at the drags and all the young people i know are not into it enough to spend a hundred bucks and 12hrs of driving. I'm not sure i can tell the diff between 8k Horsepower and 10K but from what i do remember about the last time i went, was it seemed louder than it ever was. Of course that was probably due to my eardrums getting another year older :p

were you sincere about that or did i detect a tone of sarcasm :p :p

. . . . make no mistake , the reason i stopped attending was not solely because of 1000ft but because the carload of people i used to go with are either no longer around or to frail to endure a full day at the drags and all the young people i know are not into it enough to spend a hundred bucks and 12hrs of driving. I'm not sure i can tell the diff between 8k Horsepower and 10K but from what i do remember about the last time i went, was it seemed louder than it ever was. Of course that was probably due to my eardrums getting another year older :p

Completely sincere.
You once had a passion for the sport and now seem to feel differently.
I have a deep passion for it and understand that it must evolve to survive. And while not all of the evolvement process is painless, it is necessary and I continue to support the sport. I think that if you came back you might remember why you cared so much before. And you might also find some new friends that feel like you do. Or you might reinforce what you now believe. But at least you would know.

Whatever you decide. I appreciate your passion for the sport. And I hope you have a Great Weekend!

Alan

Completely sincere.
You once had a passion for the sport and now seem to feel differently.
I have a deep passion for it and understand that it must evolve to survive. And while not all of the evolvement process is painless, it is necessary and I continue to support the sport. I think that if you came back you might remember why you cared so much before. And you might also find some new friends that feel like you do. Or you might reinforce what you now believe. But at least you would know.

Whatever you decide. I appreciate your passion for the sport. And I hope you have a Great Weekend!

Alan
Well stated Alan. I hope James goes. Nothing like feeling that feeling again... 😁

I'm definitely gonna return, after all maple Grove is only a 2 1/2 hour drive from my front door. but here's an example of the good ol' quarter mile days circa 75 or 76 my mom sent me these the other day (my favorite is the Prudhomme one, He actually stopped what he was doing and posed fore me)

IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1194.jpg
IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg
IMG_1200.jpg
IMG_1192.jpg

Back to the option of 1320' or 4-wide... I'm not sure the four wide really "brings in new blood" to drag racing. Do those who witness a 4 wide the first time leave impressed? They would be kind of weird not to be. At the same time I've witnessed a Space Shuttle launch and was blown away at that spectacle. Even though I only live an hour from the Cape... we never went back. Sure, we stepped out into the back yard and watched a trail of smoke go up a few times when we remembered one was going up. But we did not become "fans" of space launches and I have a feeling the 4 wide to most is the same thing as that or going to the circus or watching a Monster Truck show. Just because you bought a ticket or tickets one time doesn't mean your going to buy every year the NHRA Nitro Show is in driving distance. What's your definition of "brings new blood"? For me it's like playing that first round of golf and hitting that one lucky shot that's a great shot and your hooked for life. You play every chance you get.

Not every person that sees the 4 wide for the first time becomes a lifer, same as not every person that sees a traditional 2 lane race for the first time does either. There are many people that experience drag racing for the first time and are blown away, yet, don't become real fans. But, many do! It's a numbers game, like everything else. And to those who have boycotted going to the races because of 1000ft, or PS has too many Camaros, or Funny Cars don't look enough like street cars, or WHATEVER, I say they are biting their nose to spite their face. The sport is 70 years old, what do you know of that hasn't changed in 70 years? I miss many aspects of the old days from when my dad raced. But, I've always stayed involved at different levels, and still have a blast every time I go to an event, because at the end of the day, it's still a helluva show. But, that's just me, LOL.

James,
Your mind is made up and I'm not arguing with you. You made a blanket statement and I pointed out that it was inaccurate.

I don't get how you can be so sure of something that you have never experienced, but if you are then you are.

The cars today are at least a couple of thousand HP stronger than they were in 2008 and the in person experience is pretty amazing.

I'm off to Atlanta, I hope you have a great weekend!
Alan
I'm heading to Atlanta too. Have to go one more time before it's closed. Hope to run into you there.

The pics above make me long for the past diversity of the cars. Gapp/Roush, Butch Leal, Grumpy, A/FX cars. Much more interesting than the cookie cutter Pro Stock and even some FC. Put the scoops back on P/S at least! Give me some injectors popping out of the hood!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back