A 4-Wide Compromise.... (1 Viewer)

Thrill

Nitro Member
What about this:

Pro qualifying is ran 4 Wide. 1 run per lane just like the 4 Wide Nats were.

Eliminations are ran under the traditional 2 wide format. The top 4 qualifiers get to pick which 'track' they want to run on. ie if the No. 1 qualifier liked the left lane on the left track, he would pick that lane, No. 16 would have to run the right lane on the left track.

Each round would have equal runs on each track. Let's say the top 4 qualifiers liked the left track better than the right track. So the pairings 1v16, 2v15, 3v14 and 4v13 would be on the left track, the other 4 pairs would be on the right track. In the event one or more of the top 4 cars chose the 'right' track, the higher qualified car would have the choice of which track until all pairs are 'staggered.'

While in the traditional format, the higher qualified cars and cars with lane choice in the later rounds get to pick their order, this would be modified so that the two tracks would always have alternating pairs.

The next pair would be fired almost immediately after the previous pair finishes their race. This would give benefit to the 4 lane track to speed the show up.

In the event of a clean up situation, crews could be working on the situation while the other pair is doing their burnout, etc. A protocol could be established to pause the work as the drivers are about to prestage to not distract the drivers and to be alert. With some thought, this could be developed. While there are certain situations that need to be worked out and accounted for, I don't see where track crew on the other track would be in any more danger than the track side observers who check the lane after each run.

Much like last year's Charlotte race, the quick losers from round 1 could be brought back for a 4-wide exibition during the down time between the semi's and finals.

I have mixed emotions on the 4 wide deal, but I see both sides to this. If the NFL allowed forward laterals, it would be a big buzz and create higher scoring games no doubt, but it would fundamentally transform a sport we have loved just like it is for years.

This gives the fans 2 days of 4 wide qualifying, getting to see 4 nitro cars at once, etc. On raceday, we would go back to the tried and true 2 car format/ladder, with a taste of 4 wide as an exibition (not to mention a free test pass for those cars).

What you think? We'd love to get some callers on this on next week's Radio Nitro Monday night at 8 EST.

not a bad concept but I don't see the teams going for it simply because you could run 3 rounds on one "track" then get swapped to the other one for the final where perhaps you only made 1 pass down all weekend in a qualifying attempt.

That sounds like a great compremise for all. The safety issue would go away since it's only qualifying, no need for the drivers to keep up with what's happening on the next track. The fans would get to witness the 4 Wide spectacle, and this would have no effect on the points outcome. Also, with how well the track was prepared, I don't see any issue with which lane someone has to race in, they were all pretty equal.

The idea for running two lanes while the other two were being cleaned up was one of the reasons bruton wanted to make vegas 4 lanes when the track was first built, I like Will's ideas to.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back