IMAX 4 Wide Racing (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
Now that we have seen most of the first 4 wide race it will be interesting to here comments from Mater members.
Personally I did not care for it that much. For the spectators that were there it was most likely quite a experience - lots of noise.
Since NHRA went to 1000' the fuel racing seemed to be much closer. It didn't seem that way 4 wide.
It also seemed like there were more accidents using the 4 wide. The drivers who would have normally shut off during a run didn't as they had no idea what the other cars were doing so stayed in it when they should have shut it off. Would like to hear what others think about it.

I was there through first round of eliminations. 4 wide for qualifying is OK, especially on Friday night when it was so cold and windy, I was wishing they could have run 8 wide just so I could go get warm. I am really not a fan of 4 wide in eliminations with the current setup. I think that they should have paired up the cars with the regular 1-16, 2-15 and so on and let the higher qualified cars have pair of lanes and individual lane choice. I didn't hear anyone at the track all weekend say that they liked 4 wide. Seems like they wanted the good old "2 go down and one comes back". It's not a terrible thing, just not my thing.

personally i liked it .... but maybe u can say that i just like racing in general.... i dont think anybody blew up bcuz they were chasing people down.. yesterday 2 guys blew up in qualifying... i like that the drivers have to think a little more and when 4 funny cars do under 4.16 it is preety wild to see... jmo and i like it

Obviously, the track was in excellent shape, coupled with the cool temps...the cars were flying. I found it confusing to watch on TV and I think you'll find that most drivers....and I know the crews....would prefer it be just a once-a-year deal.

There are some things in Drag Racing where inovation is not only good, but improves the sport.
4-wide isn't one of them.

This format needs to be relegated to qualifying only. I found it becoming annoying at home. Too much going on at one time. As others have pointed out ,some runs needed aborted earlier.

This will surely effect the Points chase come the fall, going from 2 lane racing to 4 at just one race? Either do the 4 lane at ALL Races or scrap it!

Maybe on the BIG screen you could make out the cars, but on our tiny 60" they looked like 4 cockroaches running in a straight line from an exterminator.

And now how many people would still like Bruton to buy the NHRA?

BDRSS (bruton's drag racing series squared), WWE & WBC all coming to a city near you. Promotion brought to you by the one and only Don King Productions.:eek:

regarding the hight/arend incident.......mite be wrong on this one.
seems to me we generally see more cars out of shape crossing center line
than out of shape slapping the wall - i think it's just human nature knowing
that 2 yellow stripes will not cave in the side of the car; and a low percentage
chance opponent's car actually being right next to you as you cross into the
opponents lane.
i do understand the uniqueness of yesterday's race and each driver needing
to 'go for it' for 1 of 2 transfer spots; and the inability to see other
lanes/competitors, but the bottom line is each competitor is on one 2-lane
dragstrip with (1) other competitor - same rule applies running either 2 or 4 lane; stay in your lane.

If memory serves me right, when they built the track in vegas with the space for four lanes the thought at the time was to alternate the lanes back and forth
so oil-downs would not stop the show as much, would have to see the four wide in person to make call on wether I like it, TV was a little confusing

All I can say is we are glad they announced the 4 wide stuff when they did. There was a group of 20 of us going to this spring race, had hotel reservations, everything but the tickets and the day before we were to order the tickets the news came out about 4 lane stuff. Luckily we were able to cancel the hotel reservations, saved us alot of money. We're just hoping this 4 lane stuff does not happen to Bristol, that's our favorite track.

waiting for 16 wide, single round of competition, get you out of there in 2 hours, but still charge $150 a seat "Nationals" :rolleyes:

My 90% On screen time for sponsors has suffered for years, just when you think you might catch a glimpse of your logo on a tight shot..BOOM,,,ESPN graphics. (just because you have the technology, doesn’t mean you have to use it) 4 wide + wide shots =less corp logos, and where will that help? In a sport that is trying to bring in “new” blood (paying public) why make it more complicated? When was the last time you tried to explain to someone why the car that crossed the finish line first was the loser?
The other 10% K.I.S.S. “KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID” 1000 feet?? If it’s safer, I’m for it

All I can say is we are glad they announced the 4 wide stuff when they did. There was a group of 20 of us going to this spring race, had hotel reservations, everything but the tickets and the day before we were to order the tickets the news came out about 4 lane stuff. Luckily we were able to cancel the hotel reservations, saved us alot of money. We're just hoping this 4 lane stuff does not happen to Bristol, that's our favorite track.

Even if Bruton wanted to spend a ton of money to move the stands back on one side, because of being in a tight valley, there would not be enough room in the shutdown area to widen Bristol to 4 wide.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back