How have the fans accepted Pro Stock this year? (1 Viewer)

sklemetti

Nitro Member
Without hood scoops, they don't look like pro stocks,
without carbs they aren't making the power they were.

The changes seemed to cause difficulties that caused the fields to be shorter than before.

What have fans thought of all this?

The changes seemed to cause difficulties that caused the fields to be shorter than before.

I always have and always will like the scoops, regardless of induction.

Latest reports suggest they actually are pretty close to making the same power. It's the RPM cap that's making the difference.

The new expenditures undoubtedly had an impact on participation, but make no mistake, the fields weren't exactly flourishing in the couple of years prior to the change. The class doesn't get the exposure the nitro classes do, nor will they ever, so it is a millionaire's playground. And as long as an engine leasing program runs nearly a million dollars a year, it will remain that way.

Overall, I still enjoy the class. It's not the class I grew up loving, but nothing is like it was 30 years ago. The bottom line is the EFI change, although about 15-20 years late, was necessary. The scoops are just aesthetics, and the wheelie bar change (which is the most baseless change of them all) has had no measurable impact.

Sean D

The EFI was a change that need to happen long ago. I prefer the scoops but it doesn't make a difference either way. Like Sean, it's not the class and love I had for it growing up. This year has been boring with one team being so dominant. To be fair, it's only boring because it's not my team. If my racers were racking up all the wins, I'd love it. Still closer competition regardless of who wins, is better for the class. The gap has closed in performance so hopefully next year we will be back to more cars with a real chance of winning,

The overall expense to run is still out of whack, next to comp, PS might be the most lopsided. As with other classes, until that is figured out, I still see the class struggling. I wouldn't mind them mandating more down force on the back.

Like Fuel Injection.

If team wants to use Hood Scoop let them, I'm with Sean D i like hood scoops

Hoods and injection are not going to fix pro stock. I don't have an answer to what is going to fix it ether. I think lack of manufacture involvement is part of it. Pro stock prime for me was from when they went to the 500" rules up to the mid 1990's. For some reason, Glidden vs WJ or Reher & Morrison type racing was real exciting. Greg Anderson vs Shane Gray is not, at least to me. How do we recapture that? Heavy involvement from GM, Ford and Chrysler in the factory stock type cars would be a nice step, BUT most people now days worry more about how well their phone sync's to their car, or if it's a wi-fi hot spot more than how fast it goes, or if it "Wins on Sunday".

Even if they allowed hood scoops there wouldn't be any benefit because of where the throttle body is located. Too far forward.
Now if they allowed the throttle body on the top of the manifold then the hood scoop would be beneficial.

I think Pro Stock needs to go back to it's roots. Limit the class to Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers. Mandate that all builds start with a "body in white" with certain carbon panels allowed,ie front clip, doors and such. Allow some latitude in windshield layback and other aero tricks but make the body fit a standard template. Keep the new EFI engine combo.

I think Pro Stock needs to go back to it's roots. Limit the class to Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers. Mandate that all builds start with a "body in white" with certain carbon panels allowed,ie front clip, doors and such. Allow some latitude in windshield layback and other aero tricks but make the body fit a standard template. Keep the new EFI engine combo.
We already have that. It's called Super Stock or Factory Stock.

Two things Pro Stock can offer that the nitro classes cant are Brand Rivalries, wheel standing launches and side by side racing. They no longer have two of the three and therefore are boring to watch, compared to nitro racing to most.

I haven't been much into P/S since they became essentially naturally aspirate funny cars. Call me a dinosaur, but when I looked at Lee Shepard's car I saw a Camaro, when I looked at Bob Glidden's car, I saw a Thunderbird. For me the class lost me on the day I saw Warren Johnson's hood bowed up to nearly the roof. The cars got narrowed, wheelbases went wherever they fit, noses got stretched and dropped and I lost interest. I couldn't care less what they mandate under the hood or how fast they run or in all reality, how close the racing is. If they don't look kinda like what's on the street, I'd rather watch funny cars or pro mods. Or better yet, the new Cobra Jets, Mopars and Copo Camaros. Just my opinion...

Watch Pro Stock racing in 2014 and 2015 it was fun to watch because it took driver and car performance to win race and championship. Last round at Pomona decides champion doesn't get better than that.

I am all for stock body with aero , would be plus for class.

Any car that's available from the factory with V8- RWD be it anything from VW to an American Ponycar.
Every time I see a Cobalt or a Dart with 500" RWD is a joke to have the word Stock in the name.

Even if they allowed hood scoops there wouldn't be any benefit because of where the throttle body is located. Too far forward.
Now if they allowed the throttle body on the top of the manifold then the hood scoop would be beneficial.

the performance "gain", air induction, of the hood scoop was negated by the aerodynamic loss in drag. the main reason was to fit the carbs "under" the hood.

I haven't been much into P/S since they became essentially naturally aspirate funny cars. Call me a dinosaur, but when I looked at Lee Shepard's car I saw a Camaro, when I looked at Bob Glidden's car, I saw a Thunderbird. For me the class lost me on the day I saw Warren Johnson's hood bowed up to nearly the roof. The cars got narrowed, wheelbases went wherever they fit, noses got stretched and dropped and I lost interest. I couldn't care less what they mandate under the hood or how fast they run or in all reality, how close the racing is. If they don't look kinda like what's on the street, I'd rather watch funny cars or pro mods. Or better yet, the new Cobra Jets, Mopars and Copo Camaros. Just my opinion...

pro mods look more like factory cars. they argue the aero is needed for safety at speed, the pro mods run faster with less aero, maybe they just need some down force. no aero might slow them down a little also.

I don't claim to be expert in aero design but in 86 ,87 I had an 86 Corvette which I purchase body from Harrys. Other than wheel base there was no changes to body other than tin work underneath car. My first past down 1/4 was at Texas. At 185 mph I could fill the down force. So we put a wing on back of car a lot noticable down force went away and cars speed increased and it took more effort to drive car. So I can understand the aero effect on cars running 210 to 250 mph and how important it is, so if it changes the look of car some i'm ok with it.

I'm all for the FI, it was way past time. The scoops were a safety problem, glad they are gone. As for performance I didn't see a big loss in ET's. And the early season dominance of the Summit cars made the class more exciting, (How long can they keep the streak goin?) type thing. Yet we have also had new, (first time) winners. What more can we ask for?

We are always gonna have the "NITRO or NOTHIN" fan, and that's ok, to each his own.

I have never been a die hard pro stock fan. Only casually interested. But the last few years when erica came into her own grabbed my attention big time. Suddenly pro stock became a drivers game. With great battles involving amazing reaction times coming right down to The finals and .000 lights. WOW. At a time when many were complaining that drivers didn't matter as much as tuners in the nitro classes i cant imagine that pro stock was not exciting fans in a big way. And now that the class has become so one sided I've lost interest. We have the potential for big rivalries but efi has ruined that for now. Remember when erica was whipping greg and jasons butts. That was fun to watch. But now that ( in my opinion, the most talented driver in any class) erica is off the radar things have gotten real boring

It's a Spec Alterd class.
Let them use other than Holley stuff and I'll be interested

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back