Pro Stock ? (1 Viewer)

I agree with Jesse R. Changing power plants is one thing, fine, but restricting wheelie bars length is wrong. That's part of the handling of these cars which
makes it a SAFETY factor. Best leave that to the chassis builder & crew chief.

Shane Gray has a 16 year old son Tanner who is doing very well in NASCAR and is going to test a K&N East car for a pretty big team and Shane would like to be there. Not just for the test but to see him race.

I'm fine with the changes but since they are so major, it seems giving them a year would have been good. Make it effective 2017. Still the people doing this are crazy good, they will figure it out.

On the plus side, the first couple of races might be very interesting. Some of these part time racers (or perhaps a professor sitting at home) with extra time might be able to get a jump on the others that are still finishing out the season and start next season with some surprise winners.

I also wonder by the end of the season, how many pro stockers will show up to races or if they are out of the running, will they be off working on the new setup.

I have seriously been wondering why the P/S class was still running 500 inches for this long. When was the last production year for a BIG BLOCK of any make in a model car you can buy off the lot? Over the last 2 decades almost all major motor sports classes have been running less than 400 inches. Modern cars are more efficient and with turbos, EFI and all..you can squeeze a helluva lot out of small block. I think not only P/S but ALL nitro classes should go to smaller inches. That'll fix a lot of issues quickly. Hell, how many inches are run in the alcohol classes, or even better yet, how about he nostalgia fuel classes???? Make more efficient combos and come forward to the 21st century. Now with that being said, I love big block Chevys and always will....LOL

Me too. I expected them to go 358 like NASCAR.

Change, should be a good thing, but short term

You're right EFI Is not but changing the integrity of the car is without time to test. They have spent a lot of time making these cars safe at 215 mph, and I would say they are the safest hot rod out there over 200 mph
I agree that any untested combination is dangerous to put on the track. I just don't think they're large enough, wholesale changes to need much track time to sort out.
I'm quite sure that most all of these guys, that build their own engines, already have an EFI motor built with dyno....heck I wouldn't be surprised if the KB or Elite teams have track time already. I for one, look forward to how the changes affect the class.

So- how long does it take to test a new chassis?

V was in chassis test mode for the entire time he had the Dart on the track until he turned turtle...

I'm guessing a certain "perfessor" who's been campaigning for a switch to EFI for a long time has probably done some testing on the dyno. Maybe not with the specified unit, but I'd bet he's learned a lot already. WHo knows? Mebbe the new rules would entice him to come out of retirement.

I don't know, all these changes make it really exciting for me to watch.
Who will figure it out first? Or who will get close for the first few races and then get passed? Actually makes me want to go to Pomona to watch Pro stock for the first time in a while. Lots of great bench racing coming up. Can't wait.

The RPM ceiling is going to be a challenge for the teams.One thing that has not been brought up is how this is going to affect Australian Pro Stock. Granted, we only run 400ci, but man, it was wishful thinking when they announced the changes because I was hoping for a drop back to small blocks with EFI. OK, they would be slower but we have gone into the 6.80's with 400 cubes here...

I cant help but feel like it's a step in the right direction, but not far enough in the right direction.

I'd like to see the engines downsize to something closer to factory specs, GM 427, Mopar 426, and Ford 429. I'm not an engine guy so I don't know what advantage if there is one between those numbers, or if it's really just a marketing ploy. I don't see how shorter bars are suddenly a safety issue, I mean I'm pretty sure these teams will be out testing and not just set some crazy height into the bars and drop the clutch. Furthermore, I don't expect to see someone that's been sitting on the sidelines to suddenly jump back in the water because NHRA changed the rules. If someone like WJ didn't have the necessary funds to go racing with parts and pieces that have been sitting in his shop for the last couple of years how is he going to afford to sink more money into his operation? Also in WJ's case the GXP will be ineligible after this year. Pontiac ceased existence at the end of 2010. So for WJ or KJ to make it back to the track they'd have to get a new car, or re-body one of their GXP's, purchase the new EFI setup, and invest in new wheelie bars. And without a sponsor that's all coming out of their pocket. I know they're in the engine building business, but fiscally it doesn't make any sense to commit a large sum of money when they haven't been actively racing for the sake of showing up for a couple of events. As of right now a national event purse for their class doesn't even cover the investment required to even show.

I think the biggest challenge for any drag racing team will be trying to figure out how they can give back to the manufacturers. Look at what other forms of auto racing are doing. Teams like Corvette Racing for example have been utilizing street car technology in racing environments and winning with it. This has enabled GM to build some of the best high performance production cars on the road. Others like Audi Sport, Porsche North America, MazdaSpeed and even Ford with their new GT are developing parts and technology in racing environments. Drag Racing is inherently limited compared to those road racing efforts. So what does Drag Racing have to offer for potential street car application?

I'd like to see the engines downsize to something closer to factory specs, GM 427, Mopar 426, and Ford 429. I'm not an engine guy so I don't know what advantage if there is one between those numbers, or if it's really just a marketing ploy. I don't see how shorter bars are suddenly a safety issue, I mean I'm pretty sure these teams will be out testing and not just set some crazy height into the bars and drop the clutch. Furthermore, I don't expect to see someone that's been sitting on the sidelines to suddenly jump back in the water because NHRA changed the rules. If someone like WJ didn't have the necessary funds to go racing with parts and pieces that have been sitting in his shop for the last couple of years how is he going to afford to sink more money into his operation? Also in WJ's case the GXP will be ineligible after this year. Pontiac ceased existence at the end of 2010. So for WJ or KJ to make it back to the track they'd have to get a new car, or re-body one of their GXP's, purchase the new EFI setup, and invest in new wheelie bars. And without a sponsor that's all coming out of their pocket. I know they're in the engine building business, but fiscally it doesn't make any sense to commit a large sum of money when they haven't been actively racing for the sake of showing up for a couple of events. As of right now a national event purse for their class doesn't even cover the investment required to even show.

I think the biggest challenge for any drag racing team will be trying to figure out how they can give back to the manufacturers. Look at what other forms of auto racing are doing. Teams like Corvette Racing for example have been utilizing street car technology in racing environments and winning with it. This has enabled GM to build some of the best high performance production cars on the road. Others like Audi Sport, Porsche North America, MazdaSpeed and even Ford with their new GT are developing parts and technology in racing environments. Drag Racing is inherently limited compared to those road racing efforts. So what does Drag Racing have to offer for potential street car application?
Chevrolet 572 cu.in.

After thinking about it, almost everything these guys do is experimental proof-of-concept to a certain degree, and they are all WAY smarter than me, so I have every confidence they will be ready Pomona 1 in 2016. Is the situation ideal? No. But whatever is ideal? And it is the same for everybody. I am looking forward to it.

Thank Goodness Gray Motorsports is putting together a Fuel Injected Engine Program Already and no doubt a Chassis Tuning Program will start as soon as possible .

DENVER, N.C. (September 15, 2015) – This summer, NHRA announced a series of major changes for the Pro Stock category with the intent of developing a more relatable and appealing experience. The newly designated rules were monumental, but the Gray Motorsports NHRA Pro Stock team embraced the announcement and has been in constant motion ever since as they work to finish the 2015 season of NHRA's Mello Yello Drag Racing Series on a strong note while preparing a viable program for next season and years to come.

The Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis marked the end of the regular season for the NHRA competitors, and the surging team finished with three Gray Motorsports-powered Chevrolet Camaros in the top 10. Engine customer and teammate Larry Morgan is No. 6 in the FireAde Racing entry heading into the 2015 Countdown to the Championship, Shane Gray is No. 7 in the Gray Motorsports Camaro, and Jonathan Gray is No. 10 in the Gray Manufacturing Chevrolet.

Crew chief Justin Elkes, based out of the Denver, N.C., race shop, oversees the Gray Motorsports program. Since motorsports veteran Johnny Gray opened the doors in 2009, the Gray Motorsports Pro Stock team has accumulated 11 of those coveted NHRA national event trophies. Shane has four, 2014 teammate Dave Connolly earned three, and Jonathan scored one last year in his rookie season. Morgan, who joined forces with Gray Motorsports at the beginning of 2015, has made a powerful push and had one of his best seasons on record this year with two wins in three final rounds already on his scorecard.

"We're definitely ready for the Countdown," said Elkes. "I think our competitors see that we're ready as well, and what's coming next is what we've been working towards all year – these last six races."

The rule-changes that were announced in Denver this year at the Mile-High Nationals didn't perturb the young tuner. In fact, Elkes and the Gray Motorsports crew are ready to rise to the challenge.

"We didn't know exactly what the rule changes would include, and we certainly didn't know the magnitude of the changes, but we all knew something was coming," said Elkes, 34. "We've already started working on them, and I feel like we're in a good position. We should be up and running with an engine package for next year within the next few weeks, with all the rule changes implemented. I'm really excited for it, and I'm looking forward to this winter, for sure."

Starting on January 1, 2016, NHRA will require all Pro Stock teams to equip their cars with electronically-controlled throttle body fuel injection systems, specifically Holley EFI. NHRA is also mandating a 10,500 rev limiter to be added to the fuel injection systems. Hood scoops will no longer be allowed, and wheelie bars will be shortened.

"These are big changes, but we support them," said Elkes. "As NHRA competitors, I think that's important. It certainly changes how we do things, and it means that during the Countdown to the Championship we will really have a lot on our plate. But we have our guys back at the Gray Motorsports shop working on everything it's going to take to comply with the new rules, and that just shows the depth of our program. We have a great group of people who are all willing to work very hard, and that will show when we get to Pomona in 2016 for the Winternationals. While we're out racing these next six and the Countdown, our shop is going to continue working on what's in the future.

"It will be a totally different platform. Everything is going to be so different next year. We're focused on winning the 2015 championship, but right after the NHRA Finals, we're heading right to Bradenton, Fla., to start testing what we've been working on for 2016. We can't wait."

I don't know, all these changes make it really exciting for me to watch.
Who will figure it out first? Or who will get close for the first few races and then get passed? Actually makes me want to go to Pomona to watch Pro stock for the first time in a while. Lots of great bench racing coming up. Can't wait.
I agree. I bet a lot of the PS owner / driver pushback is because nobody wants to take a step back and possibly struggle early on. The current hierarchy of PS teams remain at the top and not slide back. I say, oh well. Things change. This could be where we see a "changing of the guard" so to speak. At least early in 2016, maybe.

I agree. I bet a lot of the PS owner / driver pushback is because nobody wants to take a step back and possibly struggle early on. The current hierarchy of PS teams remain at the top and not slide back. I say, oh well. Things change. This could be where we see a "changing of the guard" so to speak. At least early in 2016, maybe.
Biggest brains with the best teams now...

Meet the new boss; same as the old boss

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back