Pro Stock ? (1 Viewer)

FABMAN

Nitro Member
I have been reading and listening to a few people that know Pro Stock and whats happening starting next year. There will be more changes coming and , now this is just speculation , teams like Summit are not happy. In my opinion this is why Gray family is not returning, there has been talk Pro should step in and have NHRA put a hold or extend the requirements so teams would have time to develop the changes for at least a year. In my opinion I think this is the first step to eliminate the series completely. I hope this is not so, I am one of the many fans that love this class. I do think changes need to be made but let the teams have some input on what needs to be done, so far NHRA is not asking or listening they're just telling them what will be done. What do you fans of Pro Stock think ?

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to poll a bunch of fans at the next few national events either. But yeah, the racers should be included in discussions long before changes are inked.

You would never get a group of racers to agree on anything. Each would want what benefits them.

In my opinion I think this is the first step to eliminate the series completely. I hope this is not so.............
That is just the opposite of what NHRA is trying to do. The manufacturers want to be involved, but they want the cars to get closer to what they are selling to the general public. NHRA is in a tough spot in trying to make the class more appealing to fans, and more affordable to bring in more participants. They've already committed to giving the Pro Stock class more TV time next season.

You would never get a group of racers to agree on anything. Each would want what benefits them.

That is just the opposite of what NHRA is trying to do. The manufacturers want to be involved, but they want the cars to get closer to what they are selling to the general public. NHRA is in a tough spot in trying to make the class more appealing to fans, and more affordable to bring in more participants. They've already committed to giving the Pro Stock class more TV time next season.

Took the words right out of my mouth, almost verbatim, Lance.

Sean D

Johnny Gray comes to mind when I think about this, Sonoma body blows off and because NHRA jumped on changes to body he was left w/o the ability to see, he was not happy with NHRA and very vocal about it and I think this is the reason he's pulling back in P/S. NHRA has no idea what going to happen to these cars making the changes that have been mandated. Add EFI is a major change on these engines, The 2 changes cannot be done safely in less than 3 months, they need time for testing, this is something that should be phased in as teams are comfortable like maybe Indy of next year.

I like the move NHRA is making to get P/S back closer to it's roots. They just didn't go far enough. Instead of making changes every year, do it all at once and get it over with. I would have made cu. in. limits match what is available in that model. I would have made them go either full stick or full automatic. (not the trick combo we have now) and while we're at it run pump gas. We always "talk" about lowering racer cost, lets DO IT. ( but that's just my opinion )

AS far as including the teams in the talks, do we know for a fact that NHRA didn't include them??

I like the move NHRA is making to get P/S back closer to it's roots. They just didn't go far enough. Instead of making changes every year, do it all at once and get it over with. I would have made cu. in. limits match what is available in that model. I would have made them go either full stick or full automatic. (not the trick combo we have now) and while we're at it run pump gas. We always "talk" about lowering racer cost, lets DO IT. ( but that's just my opinion )

AS far as including the teams in the talks, do we know for a fact that NHRA didn't include them??
I have been checking a lot of sights to see what teams are saying and tidbits I have pick up is in the meetings with the teams was this is what you're are going to do not what they thought needed to be done, since I wasn't that little mouse I can only speculate. I do know these guys need more time and if NHRA is serious about helping this class they better give it to them.

I don't think NHRA is trying to kill Pro Stock. It does seem that NHRA thought these guys would just be able to pull the carbs and intakes off of these current motors and put throttle body injection on. I can tell you just from lurking in the Pro Stock thread at Yellow Bullet (only thread worth a damn on that site IMO) in which both Nick Ferri (Elite's engine builder) and Bob (V Gaines' engine builder) regularly post, about the only thing that will be the same on the motors next year is the engine block. The fuel injection coupled with lowering the max RPM to 10,500 will necessitate all the internals be reconfigured, which means lots of trial and error with lots of different parts on the dyno ($$$$), not to mention gearing/chassis changes that will have to be tested on the track ($$$). None of this is occurring right now because no one has gotten their hands on the Holley EFI unit yet. With each passing day the time is becoming more and more critical. Oh yeah ... No one has any idea what front end they will be running on their cars yet either since the hood scoops are mandated out, though I expect the chassis builders will get those to the teams in quick fashion once they figure it out ($$$), so even if they had the motors sorted on the dyno, they still couldn't test on the track.

I want to be clear, I am all for these changes. In fact, I don't think they went far enough (stock blocks and bodies is the next logical step). But I am also for the teams having a reasonable amount of time to get their programs together. I say either give the teams the tools so they can start now and be ready for '16 ... Or delay it a year and "clean sheet" the class. It is pretty obvious everyone's stuff is going to be boat anchors at the end of the season anyway, so let them run them for 1 more year and make Pro Stock back into a class that somewhat resembles stock and gets the manufacturers at least marginally interested in 2017.

Last edited:
:)Johnny Gray just came out and said no matter what the two boys decide to do they will continue the engine program and there will be a team car racing P/S next year. I am really glad to here this from the boss.

Chris,

I agree on everything you just posted, and especially about yellow bullet. I would like to see a forum that was about P/S that Nick, Bob and other builders and fabricators would chat on.

Last edited:
I always said that pro stock needs to be the factory cars. But maybe NHRA is thinking with these new rules we might get 3 new teams for every one team we lose. I don't see it going that way.

A very smart man once said that an engine is just a big air pump; that being said, I truly believe that there is not one team out there that doesn't know how EFI works, and quite a few of them have already hot rodded a system to know where they will baseline the rest of the components to be where they are, performance-wise, on Day One.

Some of the best engineers in the sport work for P/S teams- I think they got this

I have seriously been wondering why the P/S class was still running 500 inches for this long. When was the last production year for a BIG BLOCK of any make in a model car you can buy off the lot? Over the last 2 decades almost all major motor sports classes have been running less than 400 inches. Modern cars are more efficient and with turbos, EFI and all..you can squeeze a helluva lot out of small block. I think not only P/S but ALL nitro classes should go to smaller inches. That'll fix a lot of issues quickly. Hell, how many inches are run in the alcohol classes, or even better yet, how about he nostalgia fuel classes???? Make more efficient combos and come forward to the 21st century. Now with that being said, I love big block Chevys and always will....LOL

Johnny Gray comes to mind when I think about this, Sonoma body blows off and because NHRA jumped on changes to body he was left w/o the ability to see, he was not happy with NHRA and very vocal about it and I think this is the reason he's pulling back in P/S. NHRA has no idea what going to happen to these cars making the changes that have been mandated. Add EFI is a major change on these engines, The 2 changes cannot be done safely in less than 3 months, they need time for testing, this is something that should be phased in as teams are comfortable like maybe Indy of next year.
Its a freakin' motor. Stop it !! Safety has nothing to do with this. The top teams all have engine wizards available to them. I can't build one in 3 years, but I bet 3 months is nothing for the top PS engine builders.

This could actually open the window of opportunity for other engine builders out there who are already adept at EFI. This could help the underfunded teams out instead of leasing high $$ engines from the top PS teams.

It doesn't matter what sport you are involved in, people are change averse. I tend to think the squawking is more about the concept of change, not how long it will take to build new engines or the expense.

Its a freakin' motor. Stop it !! Safety has nothing to do with this. The top teams all have engine wizards available to them. I can't build one in 3 years, but I bet 3 months is nothing for the top PS engine builders.

This could actually open the window of opportunity for other engine builders out there who are already adept at EFI. This could help the underfunded teams out instead of leasing high $$ engines from the top PS teams.

It doesn't matter what sport you are involved in, people are change averse. I tend to think the squawking is more about the concept of change, not how long it will take to build new engines or the expense.
NHRA is requiring these teams to change the integrity of these cars, changing the length of wheelie bar( important part of how these cars function in first 60') completely changing the front end of car. The motor will be a major transformation from heads, cam, manifold to injection, that they haven't received yet.. These teams have a month and half of racing yet. After that they have 2 months before start of season. These changes can't safely be done in that period of time. They need a year of R&D and test to do it right. 500" is a whole different breed than 900" Kasse and Sonny are doing.

The EFI's not not a safety issue....the shortened wheelie bars are a biggie. These cars are animals off the line anyway, with the wheelie bars as a very useful steering device (why do you think they are set at the same height on the line).

Change, should be a good thing, but short term
The EFI's not not a safety issue....the shortened wheelie bars are a biggie. These cars are animals off the line anyway, with the wheelie bars as a very useful steering device (why do you think they are set at the same height on the line).
You're right EFI Is not but changing the integrity of the car is without time to test. They have spent a lot of time making these cars safe at 215 mph, and I would say they are the safest hot rod out there over 200 mph

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back