Pro Mod Class (1 Viewer)

FC138fan

Nitro Member
I know this is kinda beating a dead horse again, but I see that the Pro Mod cars are now a pro class...

I have been talking with other race fans and viewing threads on here and I still don't know why the Pro Mod cars are running the full schedule... and the pro stock bikes are running nearly the full schedule.

Im not attacking the PSB's, but from my expierence at the track and from what I hear and read, a very low percentage of fans care to watch the PSB's, so to me it makes sence to eliminate them from the national events, and replace them with a more entertaining class that people would watch.. perhaps pro mod.

My question is what is the reason PSB is still hanging around and why has pro mod been left outside most national events? This is not an NHRA bashing thread, so don't answer "because the NHRA sucks".

I saw the first ESPN2 Show of the pro mods and I thought the broadcast was good with Dave & Mike, I really liked when Brad Personnett, Rickie Smith and Melanie were interviewed about their engine combos. Plus Lewis showing some Old Dave Milcarek pix of Mike Ashley (the Trans Am that went 200 MPH "in the grass" @ RP), Bill Kuhlmann, Animal Jim ("Zeke" the Mercury Zephyr), Charles Carpenter and Rob Vandergriff, I was a little Bummed that a couple pix that weren't shown were Ronnie Sox's "1990 Version of a 1964 Mercury Comet" as he called it, and the Late Walter Henry the pioneer of the Blown Pro Mod Combination. It was a really good broadcast to intro the Pro Mod Category to the NHRA TV Masses.

Why not run both?
Will the next person that dis-likes bikes do an experiment? At the next event bring a stopwatch--and time every second that the bikes are on the track-starting-staging-runs on the track-DOWNTIME (has there ever been any?) and get back to us. Now time 1 P/S burndown-or how long the Full Throttle truck is shooting T-shirts. The bike aren't in the way of anything.

Lewis Bloom is undoubtedly one of the greatest stat men in the business ...

But no mention of Scotty Cannon?
No Shannon Jenkins
No Ed Hoover winning the first event, no mention of Pro Modified being in its 20th anniversary ...

Don't you just hate it when politics get in the way of real history.

I see what you mean with the Pro Mods. I've been at all but ONE U.S. Nat's in the past 28 years. And its true you watch qualifying and as soon as the bike's roll into the water box the people in the stands roll into the pits. I for one love the bike's but also am a big fan of Pro Mods. With that being said with all the down time NHRA seems to have and rather than get some t-shirts shot at me through a plastic gun i can't see why you can't fit them both in. I was never a big fan when they tried the Pro Stock Truck's but they seem to find a place for them. And it's not just INDY hell if anything INDY would be the hardest to fit them in but they still do. After attending other track's their is time for sure to see both. Maybe someone at NHRA will find the time to research it out and work it out. Right now we need all the help we can get to put butt's in the seat's. Just my opinion please don't hold it against me!!!!!!!!!! As some people do.

If there is time to do both they I'd agree just do them both. But there must be more to it (money wise).

It was mentioned that some markets like different classes... Were are the bikes popular? Would it make more sence to run the bikes on a limited schedule and run the Mod's all the time?

To the casual fan I would think Pro Mod has more to offer in the way of flashy paint schemes, wild unpredictable racing, fast speeds, more noise.

I can see bike lovers loving the PSB's and rooting for the Harley's over the Suzukis or whatever... but am I crazy in thinking that most people would prefer to see the Pro Mods?

[on another note, I notice the stands empty out for the alcohol cars which I can's get over because I love the alky cars..]

Lewis Bloom is undoubtedly one of the greatest stat men in the business ...

But no mention of Scotty Cannon?
No Shannon Jenkins
No Ed Hoover winning the first event, no mention of Pro Modified being in its 20th anniversary ...

Don't you just hate it when politics get in the way of real history.

but they did mention about it starting as Top Sportsman and even mentioning names such as Ted Jones and Bret Kepner, I didn't catch an IHRA Reference tho.

I think it is easier to get sponsorship of PSB than it is PM. Who is the obvious equivalent of Harley for PM? PSB has a clearly different demographic than the other classes. The PM demographic has to be broadened for it to beat out PSB in my opinion. I think the TV show has room for another class . . . way too much canned production/repetition and lane choice domination for my taste.

First off the Pro Mods are not a PRO class... They are still a sportsman class in NHRA.. Pro Mod has to register the event by grading system.... I love the Pro Mods as do I love the Bikes.... The bikes take maybe 20 mins to run our whole class in qualifying and 10 mins to run 1st round on Sunday.... PSB has 1 place to run(NHRA) and the Pro Mod have so many places to run(NHRA,ADRL,IHRA,Quick 8, and so on.... so thats why I think they run the number of races in NHRA....

Roger Burgess is funding the GSA pro mod class out of his pocket! Can you imagine what it would cost for 23 races????

Whats the difference between a PRO class and sportsman class?

Do you think they could fit in the Pro Mod and keep the Bikes in every event?

I would think the cost for pro mod is similar to an alcohol FC.. do the alcohol cars run most events? If not enough cars show up maybe make it an 8 car field?

My thoughts on the subject are my opinion:

Im not saying the bikes don't have their share of fans
Im not saying nobody finds them entertaining
I do think the bikes take a tremendous amount of skill and guts to drive
I do think the drivers are totally dedicated and in love with their class

but

In Gainesville for example, for those who were there, were there more people in the stands during the PM's or PSB's? Where did they run in the order of cars (most likely whavever runs after fuel cars will have less in the stands) Shouldn't the NHRA be catering to the classes that more people are intereseted in watching?

Why does Roger Burgess have to fund the class? If the interest is there shouldn't it work itself out and make money (not cost money).

For a PM driver, is it more rewarding (money wise and pride wis) to win at another venue (IHRA, ADRL, etc)?

Roger Burgess is funding the GSA pro mod class out of his pocket! Can you imagine what it would cost for 23 races????

Well who is funding Pro Stock? I thought all the Detroit auto makers were bankrupt? How does an eliminator get funded anyway? Who funds top fuel & FC or does NHRA "fund" them. If so why would they not prefer to fund pro mod?

Well who is funding Pro Stock? I thought all the Detroit auto makers were bankrupt? How does an eliminator get funded anyway? Who funds top fuel & FC or does NHRA "fund" them. If so why would they not prefer to fund pro mod?

NHRA is funding Pro stock, just like TF/FC!

Whats the difference between a PRO class and sportsman class?

Do you think they could fit in the Pro Mod and keep the Bikes in every event?

I would think the cost for pro mod is similar to an alcohol FC.. do the alcohol cars run most events? If not enough cars show up maybe make it an 8 car field?

My thoughts on the subject are my opinion:

Im not saying the bikes don't have their share of fans
Im not saying nobody finds them entertaining
I do think the bikes take a tremendous amount of skill and guts to drive
I do think the drivers are totally dedicated and in love with their class

but

In Gainesville for example, for those who were there, were there more people in the stands during the PM's or PSB's? Where did they run in the order of cars (most likely whavever runs after fuel cars will have less in the stands) Shouldn't the NHRA be catering to the classes that more people are intereseted in watching?

Why does Roger Burgess have to fund the class? If the interest is there shouldn't it work itself out and make money (not cost money).

For a PM driver, is it more rewarding (money wise and pride wis) to win at another venue (IHRA, ADRL, etc)?

Nick, in Gainesville the Pro mods followed The Fuel cars, which looks real bad since the Stands empty out! As for the cost comparison between a Pro mod and an Alky FC? It's not even close, Pro mods are Far more expensive! Motor's are pretty much the same except for the Blower difference, but a Pro mod Roller is like $80-100,000!

Nick, in Gainesville the Pro mods followed The Fuel cars, which looks real bad since the Stands empty out! As for the cost comparison between a Pro mod and an Alky FC? It's not even close, Pro mods are Far more expensive! Motor's are pretty much the same except for the Blower difference, but a Pro mod Roller is like $80-100,000!

I had / have no idea how much PM's or TAFC's cost. How do maintenance costs compare? Once someone buys in - if you aren't too rough on parts and know how to drive can you make it with only a little bit of help from sponsorship?

What does everyone mean NHRA is funding... you mean payouts? Ideally doesn't that come from ticket sales / advertising / registration etc. Isn't the payout money for most pro teams chump change anyway?

First off the Pro Mods are not a PRO class... They are still a sportsman class in NHRA.. Pro Mod has to register the event by grading system.... I love the Pro Mods as do I love the Bikes.... The bikes take maybe 20 mins to run our whole class in qualifying and 10 mins to run 1st round on Sunday.... PSB has 1 place to run(NHRA) and the Pro Mod have so many places to run(NHRA,ADRL,IHRA,Quick 8, and so on.... so thats why I think they run the number of races in NHRA....

How does the Grading system work for Pro Mods? They don't run other than the NHRA National Events unlike the Lucas Oil Cars in the Divisions.

How does the Grading system work for Pro Mods? They don't run other than the NHRA National Events unlike the Lucas Oil Cars in the Divisions.

The GSA guys came up with their grading system to give racers who have supported the series in previous years first dibs on Entries. Former series champs, and those who have entered the most races over the past say 3-5 years get priority.

uh... I don't know... but it wouldn't take bread and water off his table I'm pretty sure of that...:cool:

Oh, maybe if the 'Team Maroon' were to sponsor the other few races on the circut.... oh wait, I think possibility of snow the forecast for a certain place where bad people go after they die might actually happen first.
:eek:

sponsor the other few races on the circut.... :eek:

Is prize money the reason they are not running the full schedule? Do teams still race for prize money? (isn't the price to run high dollar vehicles so high that the prize money just disappears into the budget somewhere).

If prize money is the issue, then are we are back to eliminating a class that has high dollar prize money bringing in the least tickets (maybe PSB [assuming that they would be the 4th highest payout]).

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back