We're talking Pro Stock. (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
On another discussion board we were talking about something totally unrelated to Pro Stock. Then I mentioned this:

Remember "Race 'em on Sunday, sell 'em on Monday?"

Back in Pro stocks infancy you could by a hemi powered Cuda on Monday. But today you can't buy a 500 CID Grand Am on Monday. And you can't buy ANYTHING with carburetors.

If I were in charge (we'd all be in trouble) Pro stock would look more like Brad Personett's turbo Toyota. The younger generations could relate and would be more interested in a class that more resembles what you can buy today. Plus, it runs 6.40's at almost 220 miles per hour.

Get rid of those big hood scoops, too. Let me zip up my firesuit first...Okay, flame away!

RG

Last edited:
Sweet!:

Personett1.jpg

Photo courtesy Dragracingonline.com

Last edited:
Dead on Randy
NHRA has stiffled innovation in the name of cost control, but they haven't controlled costs and now the factory hot rods don't look like anything coming out of anyone's factory. Remember Buddy Ingersoll's turbo Buick, just like something GM was selling at the time.

S/F
D

Omigoodness Randy- it's getting supporters! Maybe Unblown Nitro Funny Car and Turbo Pro Stock are the wave of the future!

damn randy, why would you want to start up another thread after the beating you have been taking from the online crew chiefs over the a-fuel funny car thread. :D

PS to above:

Even drag racer Richard Hibbard's Chevrolet dealership - THE racer's Chevy dealer in So Cal - can't sell me a Cobalt with a big block Silverado engine in it!

Or even an Impala!

Let alone, Glendora Dodge selling me a Stratus with a Hemi!

damn randy, why would you want to start up another thread after the beating you have been taking from the online crew chiefs over the a-fuel funny car thread. :D

I started my drag racing life in 1970 as a huge Sox and Martin fan. I've always loved the Pro Stock class and I'm amazed at what they can do with a little air, a tank of gas and a lot of $$.

Being honest I'll say this: Because of Pro Stock, I wanted a hemi Cuda/Challenger from the local dealer so bad I saved every nickle as a kid I could get my hands on to buy one. Why? Because Ronnie Sox had one, and Bill Bagshaw, Arlen Vanke, Dick Landy and they were cool.

Considering the concern for NHRA's aging owners and demographics, the kids are now looking at sleek body styles with smaller engines, turbos and fuel injection at the new car dealers. How current Pro Stockers could be called "Factory Hot Rods" amazes me. To get new blood, if I were GM, Ford, Toyota or Mazda I'd like to see a combination in NHRA's premier factory pro catagory that represents todays technology, not stuff similar to what was last sold in 1971.

Also, this might be a good time to implement lead free racing fuel (hasn't NASCAR already done that?). On board Pro Stock engine management programs would make it possible. I'm amazed watching the sport compact racers tune with their lap tops. That's the kind of stuff that interests the "next generation."

The grandstands empty out when anything but nitro runs. Could a change, change that?

RG

Last edited:
That is an idea that I could get behind! Look, I love my carbs, but f.i. sure makes things easy! With the exception of the Mustang and the Corvette, how many V-8 rear wheel drive cars can you walk into a dealership and buy today? I'll go one further than you Randy, how about allowing OHC motors into the mix!:D
P.S. I'm gonna be ducking behind you, cause you started this! LOL!:D

Go to your local Dodge dealer. hemi's are rear wheel drive.
Pro stock is like NASCAR, cars you can't buy with the engines in them. But they both got to have carburators. Must be 20 years since the last one was sold in a car of the show room floor.

I agree with Randy though its not just pro stock. Funny Cars look nothing like the car there suppose to either.

I agree with Randy though its not just pro stock. Funny Cars look nothing like the car there suppose to either.

I think you should be able to look at a funny car without the brand name on it and still be able to identify it. I like the 70s ones because actual bodies being represented were used to make molds off of, thus the accurate noses. A Vega looked like a Vega, etc.

Randy - you need to stop this Technology stuff! We all know that word strikes fear in NHRA's heart - :D

Seriously, this is a great idea. Since NHRA would have no idea how to police computer controls, I'd suggest limits on injector flow rate and turbo size and let 'em race! - :cool:

Randy - you need to stop this Technology stuff! We all know that word strikes fear in NHRA's heart - :D

Seriously, this is a great idea. Since NHRA would have no idea how to police computer controls, I'd suggest limits on injector flow rate and turbo size and let 'em race! - :cool:

Are you saying someone might actually use traction control? Yikes! How much would you be willing to bet they aren't already doing it? Can't say for sure, but one easy way to police it is...to allow it. Hey, it's current technology and it's another piece of the tune up.

I know when the TC light comes on in my car it SLOWS DOWN!

Let 'em rip.

RG

PS, One of the early concerns was only a handfull of people would be able to get the latest in computer technology and programs. This stuff has been around so long now, I doubt that would be the case now.

I would think that the NHRA would appreciate comments regarding the future since many at the top wonder what to do next as far as fans go. They know what they would like to accomplish in terms of $$ and growth but suggestions like this might go a long way.

I said in another thread that the NHRA membership in 1990 was 80,000. Today, it's still 80,000. Put some current and new stuff out there that will bring new blood out of the woods.

I sit and watch the sport compact series on TV just to see who Brad Personett will run against, or if he will run at all. That car is very impressive and probably more so in person. Young-uns looking to buy turbo Mazdas and Civics flock around that thing to see what it's all about hoping to get ideas for their ride.

Gotta love it.

Last edited:
Randy:

That has got to be one of the best idea's I have heard on how to TRULY Increase the Membership base at NHRA!!!

The Pro Stock Class, was (from what I've been told) the TRUE FACTORY WARS! The Concept of RACE EM ON SUNDAY, BUY EM ON MONDAY, worked very well, especially during the late 60's with the Musclecar Wars between Dodge Chevy and Ford. Changing the Pro Stock class to market the newest in Technology would, I believe also increase FACTORY REPRESENTATION and Bring in MORE FACTORY $$$$'S. That being said, with NHRA Pulling the plug on the IMPORT SERIES, what does that tell you about their VISION????

I also believe that it's time to bring in the younger crowd. This Younger Demographic are also, (Unfortunatly but true) responcible for the majority of the Illegal Street Racing done in the US! I think changing the Pro Stock Class to these type of cars...could help bring kids off the street and onto the track!

Great Idea Randy I'd support it!:cool:

RG, Haven't you heard about the excessive heat that the unleaded
fuel makes in the Nascrap cars? No thanks!

Sorry! My last post was too Negative!!! Yes on Fuel Injection and whatever else to modernize the class. Please forgive, I race a 64 Thunderbolt
Ford and I am WJ's age, but I still love drag racing after 47 years of it. BK

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back