We're talking Pro Stock. (1 Viewer)

This subject's come up several times in the last few years here. The turbo idea is cool but I think it's unrealistic.

I'd like to see PS go to roughly PST engine sizes and allow EFI. You'd then have the possibility of seeing motors within reach of factory-floor dimensions. LS, Hemi, and Ford OHC motors would all be eligible. Imagine having Mustangs vs. Camaros vs. Challengers vs. GTO's with factory size motors, who'd a thunk it?

I can't remember the sanctioning body, I am not too sure if they are still in existence. At any rate, it was a short oval racing series. They allowed EFI. When you came into the gate, you were asked what EFI manufacturer you were using for the race. Then you were giving the LCU from the sanctioning body. It worked out quite well. The teams put in there own fuel maps and raced.

Randy you can't just open up the flood gates. There would be four to six cars at a race. You have no idea how R&D expenses can go wild on EFI systems. I know carbs aren't cheap either. I am Pro-EFI, I just think there would need to be some regulation. Bruce Allen's brother works at McLaren. They have injectors that cost like a grand a pop!!!.

I worked with Lingenfelter on his turbo import. It was pretty bad ass. I never get a chance to go to the stands while the imports are running their exhibition runs at national events. How are they received?

On the fuel front, I say go to alcohol in PS!!!

Are you saying someone might actually use traction control? Yikes! How much would you be willing to bet they aren't already doing it? Can't say for sure, but one easy way to police it is...to allow it. Hey, it's current technology and it's another piece of the tune up.

I know when the TC light comes on in my car it SLOWS DOWN!

Let 'em rip.

RG

PS, One of the early concerns was only a handfull of people would be able to get the latest in computer technology and programs. This stuff has been around so long now, I doubt that would be the case now.

I would think that the NHRA would appreciate comments regarding the future since many at the top wonder what to do next as far as fans go. They know what they would like to accomplish in terms of $$ and growth but suggestions like this might go a long way.

I said in another thread that the NHRA membership in 1990 was 80,000. Today, it's still 80,000. Put some current and new stuff out there that will bring new blood out of the woods.

I sit and watch the sport compact series on TV just to see who Brad Personett will run against, or if he will run at all. That car is very impressive and probably more so in person. Young-uns looking to buy turbo Mazdas and Civics flock around that thing to see what it's all about hoping to get ideas for their ride.

Gotta love it.

RG,
You must be bored playing golf or the car is all ready for next year. Leave those pooooor P/S kids alone. They already have 2 competitive teams in the class.:D

RG, Haven't you heard about the excessive heat that the unleaded
fuel makes in the Nascrap cars? No thanks!

Probably pail in comparison to the heat the EPA could make for the NHRA. It would be a lot better for all concerned to be proactive rather than reactive. Some day, if the environmentalists decided to make motorsports their next target, it would be nice if the NHRA could step up and say "We're concerned, too. That's why we switched our pro cars to unleaded fuel back in 2009 (or whatever)."

The writing is on the wall with all the global warming stuff being pushed down our throats (I think it's crap, but that's another topic for another board). All we need is some do-gooder deciding that NHRA is poisoning our kids when Warren Johnson warms his car up in the pits because he runs leaded fuel. Like NASCAR did, it might become necessary some day to head them off at the pass before they get the bright idea that we are an unnecessary polluter.

After deciding WJ is killing the kids they may decide the yellow cloud around Tony's car is, too, with that stinky nitromethane. Don't be so sure it can't or won't happen. In California we can't buy the good brake cleaners anymore along with literally hundreds of other chemicals. The stuff we get works about as well as Pledge or Endust. Try buying good automotive paint, solvent or any of that stuff here.

I saw Nancy Pelosy, Diane Feinstein and a few of their pals in an interview on TV last week that got me kinda scared. They were talking about Algore's fictional environmental extreme movie and about how the good ol' Peoples Republic of Kalifornia is on the cutting edge of enviro-wackism making the right laws and reg's to eliminate global warming...and they said that the rest of the Country is going to follow their lead.

With TV coverage of tire smoking burn-outs, yellow clouds in the pits during warm-ups and huge engine fires at the finish line you would have to be naive to NOT think that some day there will be AQMD test equipment set up in the pits to find out how big our carbon footprint is. Shoot, they set up equipment right down the street from my house to monitor the cars as they drive by. And I only live about 30 minutes from the Fairplex at Pomona.

Many may poo-poo the thought, but reality might be just around the corner. I certainly hope not.

Some have suggested a three year implimentation period. This would give teams, engine suppliers and tuners time to blend in new stuff rather than a drop dead date of something like January 1, 2008.

Hey, I hate the idea as much as anyone. I also hate the idea of the government telling us what we can and can not race. If you think it can't happen, I've got a case of California approved brake cleaner I'll sell you...cheap.

RG

Last edited:
I'm all for the growth of the sport and I can understand going the EFI route for the cars and exploring other options. But 80% of the reason I go to a national event is to see pro stock and if they would make the cars look like an import event(that no body watches now) i honestly wouldnt go anymore. no interest in seeing that garbage. I like seeing what a NA motor can do over some small motor turbo car can do. just my $.02

Good thoughts Randy. (and I'm glad YOU posted the topic because any "keyboard racer" <like me> may well have been shouted down).

This sport hat GOT to attract a new generation of hard-core enthusiasts. I don't think it has to have jello-wrestling or bikini contests to bring young(er) people either.

After having lived through the 70's factory prostock wars it was a good time. With the coming of the factory pony cars it seems it would be a good time to go back to the factory and say we want to have a class where we can show case new cars with equipment made today and that will help us and you.

Engine could be limited to 427 [7 liters : )], Pony car bodies, blowers or turbos with restrictions, EFI with the afore mentioned injector flow rate limits and you should be able to get performance equal to or better than today with a product that a version of it could be sold today.....

With the big changeover coming [hd] now would be a good time to set this deal up and give a date when it would start...

I know people talk about money but new cars are built all the time and what do you think it cost for N/A motors of today??? Same money but differnet project.

Just might bring in the younger crowd of racers. BTW: There is an entire group of people out there racing OTHER series that know how to do this already. Imagine if they found out they could race in the BIG leagues witht he same sort of combination they know now????

Just thinking out loud.

jim

Not bored, it's the off season.

Time to discuss the future. So we can have one.:D

RG

Randy,

How about a ADRL class for 4 & 6 (V or str) turbo, EFI, tube car with a weight break of 2150 for 4 cyl and 2350 for 6 cyl using stock blocks. Engine must match the body style using any trans combo you want. Heads up racing.

Simple rules. Car must weight according to it engine and you can make the motor any CI you want.

While a catagory like Personett's car would make sense, I think a Turbo Pro stock class would get boring as hell! Race cars are supposed to loud, not quiet! BTW, how does Nascar still bring out Millions of fans since you can't buy any Toyota's with 360 V8's?

Randy, I could really go with you on this. However, after having attended one of those NHRA import races, I'd like to see a few more years of them hashing out that combo before it happens. I don't think there'd be enough full pulls between both cars to keep fans of the current Pro Stock class interested. Those turbo cars are very impressive.

Randy, I could really go with you on this. However, after having attended one of those NHRA import races, I'd like to see a few more years of them hashing out that combo before it happens. I don't think there'd be enough full pulls between both cars to keep fans of the current Pro Stock class interested. Those turbo cars are very impressive.

You'd see full pulls if the Cagnazzi's, Anderson/Black's, Johnson's were in the mix. With budgets and factory assistance, the class would go through the roof. The issue would be legislating technology to control spending.

Cool thread! Makes me ask a couple questions of the group. Okay, you go fuel injection; presumably electronic fuel injection, not mechanical. How do you prevent teams from using traction control? F1 tried to ban it years ago and gave up because their scrutineers/tech inspectors could not find it. NHRA tech inspectors already have their hands full with classes from Street to Top Fuel. Now they're going to spot something not even the most technically advanced series in the world could find? Seems a tall order? :confused: Also, the teams have to come up with all new motor programs and buy new hoods/front clips. So what do the teams and the NHRA get for all the headaches? Maybe a few less fans bolt for the nitro warmups? I'm not seeing the benefit? :confused:

Cool thread! Makes me ask a couple questions of the group. Okay, you go fuel injection; presumably electronic fuel injection, not mechanical. How do you prevent teams from using traction control? F1 tried to ban it years ago and gave up because their scrutineers/tech inspectors could not find it. NHRA tech inspectors already have their hands full with classes from Street to Top Fuel. Now they're going to spot something not even the most technically advanced series in the world could find? Seems a tall order? :confused:

Perhaps the answer is within your question. Why not make it legal just for Pro Stock ??? Of course that does beg the question...Are they already using it and NHRA hasn't found it??? Another time and thread....

Also, the teams have to come up with all new motor programs and buy new hoods/front clips. So what do the teams and the NHRA get for all the headaches? Maybe a few less fans bolt for the nitro warmups? I'm not seeing the benefit? :confused:

Don't see much difference in comparison when the NHRA went from Factored small blocks to Single big block use. Needed new equipment then. Or even when the tube cars came in, needed new equipment then. It is called evolution...

jim

Cool thread! Makes me ask a couple questions of the group. Okay, you go fuel injection; presumably electronic fuel injection, not mechanical. How do you prevent teams from using traction control?...

In my scenario (NA smallblock V8's, EFI), I'd say don't prevent it, encourage it.

In my scenario (NA smallblock V8's, EFI), I'd say don't prevent it, encourage it.

Pro Stock: Professional category racing with components that are available on my car from the factory.

TC is not sci-fi stuff. Heck, my PT Cruiser came with it. It should be part of the tune-up. In a street car, whenever TC is activated it slows the car down. They key would be...don't activate it.

Anyone that thinks some form of TC isn't being used now by someone somewhere is mistaken.

RG

When I first read the post my reaction was that's a terrible idea. After reading the reasons why it would be good I have to agree, it would be good.
Guess I'll never see a Maverick and Vega race in Pro Stock again. You guys can sure make a man feel old.

While a catagory like Personett's car would make sense, I think a Turbo Pro stock class would get boring as hell! Race cars are supposed to loud, not quiet! BTW, how does Nascar still bring out Millions of fans since you can't buy any Toyota's with 360 V8's?

Actually, you can almost get that in a Tundra - the 5.7L. It's a good motor when the cams don't snap. :p

want to see innovation-watch comp eliminator. They'll be more four valve motors racing next year. Some comps cars already use EFI and more will be using it in the future.

But it is also the case that the carb wizards have really done wonders. And of course, those blown motors in all classes and the A/FD are still using mechanical fuel injection, as are some pretty good comp cars (See the cars that next year will have the numbers 2, 4, and 9).

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back