We're talking Pro Stock. (1 Viewer)

On another discussion board we were talking about something totally unrelated to Pro Stock. Then I mentioned this:

If I were in charge (we'd all be in trouble) Pro stock would look more like Brad Personett's turbo Toyota. The younger generations could relate and would be more interested in a class that more resembles what you can buy today. Plus, it runs 6.40's at almost 220 miles per hour.[/I][/B]

Get rid of those big hood scoops, too. Let me zip up my firesuit first...Okay, flame away! RG

With the environmental folks wanting to get rid of the combustion engine entirely and racing being a complete waste of energy in their agenda, perhaps future performance might be linked to the size of your extension cord.

With the environmental folks wanting to get rid of the combustion engine entirely and racing being a complete waste of energy in their agenda, perhaps future performance might be linked to the size of your extension cord.
Maybe they could bring back peroxide rockets? :D

Why not let them run as they are, but with EFI on them. No turbo's or blowers (if you want to use them, go run Pro Mod). Make everyone use a controlled ECU. Let them have TC, as it has been stated it mostly slows you down, but its also another tuning parameter for crew chiefs to play with.
At least that would start to bring Pro Stock out of the dark ages of carbs.
Just my 2c

Bo Butner's East Texas Racecars Cobalt CC/A comp eliminator car featuring a Pro-charger 400" SBC probably best represents where Pro Stock should be but will never happen. What do race teams do with all the money sank into today's 500" Pro Stock motors? Can you say LAWSUIT? Yes it would happen faster than John Force's return to FC.

Last edited:
I think you should be able to look at a funny car without the brand name on it and still be able to identify it. I like the 70s ones because actual bodies being represented were used to make molds off of, thus the accurate noses. A Vega looked like a Vega, etc.

While I agree that modern day TF/FCs are out of control, the late 1980's and early 1990s car could easily be recognized as long as the headlights, grill, tail lights, etc were airbrushed in. Think of one painted like a street car, Ron Capps' Cope car jumps to mind. IIRC it was a Camaro. :)

I agree with you that the Vega FCs could be identified even in primer, but not so with a real modern car. No reason why the FCs should be any different.

That having been said, the current Funny Cars with the 'doghouse roof' is ridiculous.

EDB

On another discussion board we were talking about something totally unrelated to Pro Stock. Then I mentioned this:

Remember "Race 'em on Sunday, sell 'em on Monday?"

Back in Pro stocks infancy you could by a hemi powered Cuda on Monday. But today you can't buy a 500 CID Grand Am on Monday. And you can't buy ANYTHING with carburetors.

If I were in charge (we'd all be in trouble) Pro stock would look more like Brad Personett's turbo Toyota. The younger generations could relate and would be more interested in a class that more resembles what you can buy today. Plus, it runs 6.40's at almost 220 miles per hour.

Get rid of those big hood scoops, too. Let me zip up my firesuit first...Okay, flame away!

RG

AAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH! No! Bad Randy! Bad! Bad!

Keep the $@&#($#&*@& imports out of Pro Stock. PLEEZ !

the fact that the 'old timer's like WJ are pushing for F.I. proves that it's time for a change. however, you need to give the teams a few year to prepare for it. in other words, announce in 2008 that F.I. will be legal beginning in 2010.

on a side note: WHOA....2010 is almost here! where are the flying cars???!!
bf2_freeway.jpg

I say run PS with small blocks, EFI and STOCK ECUs. Allow traction control. Until it gets ridiculous, allow teams to adjust the ECUs for Fuel/Air and TC settings, etc. Maybe even bring in a rev-limiter, say 10,000 RPM to keep the cost of the internals down.

I think most of you don't understand how traction control works. If it truly slowed cars down, why would race teams use it? What traction control does is manage the efficiency of the power being put to the track via controlling wheelspin. In simple terms, instead of letting a car spin the tires, it slows either wheelspeed down via application of the brakes or engine speed down via rev limitations or both to keep the car moving forward and building the all important mechanical vector known as momentum. Basically, a car that shakes the tires and pedals (loss of momentum) is not going to beat a car whose ECU manages the shake part of the track and keeps the car moving forward (minimal or no loss of momentum).

In a street car, TC is activated to allow you to keep control of a vehicle and prevent a crash. When your PT cruiser activates TC, your wheels are still driving rather than spinning and it should give a greater degree of control in an emergency situation. TC in a street car definitely slows a vehicle down, but that is to prevent soccer moms from cracking up the family car, rather than negotiate a race course efficiently as possible.

I say FI, flat hoods, big blocks, and traction control. Give them everything except power adders.

I'm all for the growth of the sport and I can understand going the EFI route for the cars and exploring other options. But 80% of the reason I go to a national event is to see pro stock and if they would make the cars look like an import event(that no body watches now) i honestly wouldn't go anymore. no interest in seeing that garbage. I like seeing what a NA motor can do over some small motor turbo car can do. just my $.02

I'm really curious about this. What's so exciting about watching cars that you can't buy going down the track and pretending the manufacturer actually has anything to do with them? No one really believes those are Chevys or Pontiacs or Dodges...do they? Why shouldn't the Pro Stock cars be imports? I've disregarded that whole group of racers (Imports) for so long that it's just become second nature, but there's just something decidedly odd about front wheel drive cars, from any country, with big V8s stuffed in the front and having the word 'Stock' anywhere in the title. I for one am ready for something a little closer to today's reality.

AAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH! No! Bad Randy! Bad! Bad!

Keep the $@&#($#&*@& imports out of Pro Stock. PLEEZ !
Let's see what's an import, the cars made in Mexico and Canada by multinational corporations based in Detroit or the cars made in the U.S. by multinational corporations based in Japan. Hmmm? Oh yeah what cars do most Americans drive and can relate to these days?

S/F
D

Let's see what's an import, the cars made in Mexico and Canada by multinational corporations based in Detroit or the cars made in the U.S. by multinational corporations based in Japan. Hmmm? Oh yeah what cars do most Americans drive and can relate to these days?

S/F
D

I'm pretty sure you understood what I was refering to.

And, if most Americans are driving imports and want to see them race, they can watch sport compacts... oh wait.... no one was watching them I heard. ;)

Here's a suggestion for some of you folks.....if watching Pro Stocks as they exist, is not exciting enough for ya, don't watch them. If you like imports, watch them in the classes they already run in. Really seems simple. ;) :D

For my money, IHRA large motor pro stock is one of the best shows in drag racing, Bar none!!!!:D

Here's a suggestion for some of you folks.....if watching Pro Stocks as they exist, is not exciting enough for ya, don't watch them. If you like imports, watch them in the classes they already run in. Really seems simple. ;) :D

Hi Jackee:

I reread all the posts here and no one but you has said they aren't exciting to watch, except that unless nitro is running the grandstands empty out.

Repeating what I said earlier, I am amazed at what they can do with a little air (meaning naturally aspirated), a full tank of gas (meaning no nitro, no alky, and no nitros) and a lot of $$.

Pro stock has always been a high tech class. They should be allowed to take the class to the next level with stuff available at any dealership.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back