One thing in Common between Factory Stock Showdown and Pro Stock.... (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
I can tell you this, based on what I saw at the Gators. If anyone thinks FSS should replace Pro Stock due to "more variety," it isn't the case. The class is certain entertaining (low 8's from a car you can buy from the factory is pretty cool) but again, the majority of the cars were Camaros and the race was won by.... a Camaro. Either GM has figured it out better than Ford and FCA, or the latter two are behind and not exactly in a rush to get up to speed, so to speak.

I can tell you this, based on what I saw at the Gators. If anyone thinks FSS should replace Pro Stock due to "more variety," it isn't the case. The class is certain entertaining (low 8's from a car you can buy from the factory is pretty cool) but again, the majority of the cars were Camaros and the race was won by.... a Camaro. Either GM has figured it out better than Ford and FCA, or the latter two are behind and not exactly in a rush to get up to speed, so to speak.
But the fastest car is a Mopar and is the only one to break in the 7's.

Sam ... Not exactly true. 30 cars attempted to qualify for a 16 car field. 17 of them (a little over half) we Camaros. The other 13 cars were Mustangs (9) and Challengers (4). I call that pretty good variety, wouldn't you? The qualified field consisted of 10 Camaros, 3 Mustangs, and 3 Challengers. Again, to me, pretty good variety. Yes it was only Camaros in the Semis and Final as that program seems to be a bit stronger.

Just sayin' that I would not suggest / condem the Factory Stock program to be the same as Pro Stock which is in fact all Camaros (except for 1 lone Dodge independent).

Just sayin' that I would not suggest / condem the Factory Stock program to be the same as Pro Stock which is in fact all Camaros (except for 1 lone Dodge independent).

I agree. The format is in its infancy and I would expect it to continue to grow and change over time. Factory Stock is infinitely more exciting than the current iteration of pro stock - and quite frankly Factory Stock SHOULD be "pro stock".

With the NHRA carving out this subset of the stock class is the writing on the wall for the current iteration of "pro stock"? I hope so.

I'm going with the majority on this one, the Funny Car semis was three Dodges and one Toyota and the final was two Dodges, so would you say based on that one race that Dodge is dominating Funny Car? That would mean ignoring that the current Champion and the last race winner were both Chevys.

Or you could make the argument that the Factory Showdown finals were both Camaros powered by Greg Stanfield engines so he is the dominate engine builder in the class, but you have to overlook the fact that they both won their respective semi races on holeshots.

Factory Showdown is alive and well, and a lot of fun to watch and to call.
Alan

at least on the return road you can still tell what brand the factory stockers are :p

I'm going with the majority on this one, the Funny Car semis was three Dodges and one Toyota and the final was two Dodges, so would you say based on that one race that Dodge is dominating Funny Car? That would mean ignoring that the current Champion and the last race winner were both Chevys.

Lets be honest here... Mopar based Hemi's have been dominating nitro racing for 50 years. Put whatever brand sticker you want on it.

Factory Showdown is alive and well, and a lot of fun to watch and to call.
Alan

Couldn't agree more. Pretty cool seeing what these cars can do.

Sam ... Not exactly true. 30 cars attempted to qualify for a 16 car field. 17 of them (a little over half) we Camaros. The other 13 cars were Mustangs (9) and Challengers (4). I call that pretty good variety, wouldn't you? The qualified field consisted of 10 Camaros, 3 Mustangs, and 3 Challengers. Again, to me, pretty good variety. Yes it was only Camaros in the Semis and Final as that program seems to be a bit stronger.

Considering that the qualified FSS field was 62% Camaros; 19% Challengers; and 19% Mustangs, I would agree that is sufficient diversity of brands. Pro Stock had 94% Camaros and 6% Dodges...... but since it's only 16 cars that 6% only represents 1 car. And I don't think anyone necessarily cares if one brand is dominating, as that has happened on and off for different brands over the years. I think what most are objecting to is the participation is overwhelmingly one brand (save the lone Dodge of Alan Prusiensky). And with the new 'any engine' rule most any newcomer will be a Chevy as well, regardless of body brand.

FSS at the Gators had some very interesting names as either drivers or involved with the car....

Pro drivers with Pro Stock experience:
Roy Hill
Allen Johnson
Aaron Stanfield

Pro drivers without Pro Stock experience:
Leah Pritchett

Sponsors who are either in, or come from, Pro Stock:
Stanfield Racing Engines
Ray Skillman Ford - with a Skillman at the wheel
Gray Racing
Tasca Ford - with a Tasca at the wheel (ok, it's a stretch to go waaaay back to stock-bodied racing for Tascas, but they were there)

I think these folks can see the handwriting on the wall.....the days of Pro Camaro are numbered. FSS is more exciting anyway.

Honest question because I don't know. How many of those cars have a clutch pedal in them?

I like all of the classes, including this one, but I'm especially drawn to the classes where qualifying is actually hard .... FSS and PM have that "something" right now for me.

Would anyone think FSS is kinda like the old Factory Experimental? I mean, the FSS blower cars are not street legal, right? But boy do they sound cool! The old FX cars were basically not something you could order from the dealer, like a Pontiac Tempest "compact" with a 421 Pontiac big block. Fans loved them, they were fast for the time & put on a good show. I think Pro Stock (and F/C) came out of FX. Today's FSS remind me of that. Little 9" tires, can do big wheelies, capable of 7.90's, and they put on a good show. I'd say let's see how the class does this year and then go from there. I'd like to see current Pro/S drivers run a PS car and a FSS car. I know a fellow named Allen who might be waiting for them....

But there have been so many comments that the fans leave the stands when Pro Stock runs.

Did the fans stay in the stands and watch the FSS cars or did they leave the stands just like when Pro Stock runs?

Honest question because I don't know. How many of those cars have a clutch pedal in them?
Stephen Bell's car had a manual last year but went to a automatic to make if more consistent. I remember the stick car actually being faster when if hooked.

The Fords I saw had automatics. Cool to see them stage...rump, rump, rump, the sound a blower car makes when staging with an auto trans. :)

the average person still can not afford to race in either class ...........................

Agreed. At least at this stage of the game, it doesn't take what the current top-level Pro Stock teams spend to compete in FSS. And if NHRA allows it to evolve to that point.........again, shame on them.........again.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back