Herbert Fires Poynter (1 Viewer)

I like K.P. and I like Herbert, but I respect the decisions that Doug makes for his team since he pays the bills. Since I'm a bill payer myself, I can understand the reasoning for firing and hiring at will. (One of the cool things about being boss).

As soon as somebody here pulls together a couple million dollars plus KPs asking price, sets themself up a fuel team, they have the option of swiping KP, or any other crew chief within their budget, up and giving them the job and keeping them or letting him go whenever the fancy tickles them.

If there was a contract, buy out package or just a 'don't let the door hit you on the way out'. It's still Doug's decision, he's got the money, he's got the say. Soon as a crew chief starts bringing the money to the table, and paying the driver, the crewmen, the fuel bill, the mortgage like trailer payments, they can hire and fire whichever driver that dunks their oreos.

Hey All,

I’ll admit I’ve been a lurker for a very long time. Until now nothing has been important enough to me to want to get off the porch.
I do not know the circumstances of the issues between KP and Doug. In all honesty it’s not my business. What I would like to share is what KP and his wife Terri have done for me.

You see, I’m just a fan. I’ve never been a team member nor have I been subjected to the pressure cooker that makes up the 24 events that we call the NHRA tour. However, I have been a fan of drag racing since the 70’s and I’m obsessed with it.

Within my family I have struggled to feed my lust for nitro racing because my wife and kids did not get it. I had been able to get the family to the Winternationals and the Finals with persuasion but they were not attending because they enjoyed the show.

I first met Kevin while he was serving time on Baca’s “We need a little more money” tour. I have to say Baca and the menagerie fought hard and were valiant in their struggles. (I’ve always rooted for the underdog, if we’re lucky I’ll root for Sarge next year).

Fortunately, my situation changed when my family got the chance to meet Kevin at Vegas-1 a couple of years back. Even though the team was embroiled in their usual struggles and without a request he went out of his way to show my son around the car and trailer. Terri in her usual effervescence saw to it that my daughter found the apparel that she wanted. In both cases Kevin and Terri were gracious and made my family feel extremely welcome.

To this day my wife and kids look back on that weekend and no longer question why I love this sport so much. These are kids that have has their pictures taken with Robert Hight, Ashley Force and many others. No one has made them feel more welcome than KP. When I watch ESPN2 they are eager to sit with me so as to catch a glimpse of Kevin while he gives an interview or prepares the car to launch.

What I’m trying to say in 5000 words or less is that Kevin is a phenomenal ambassador for the sport. His future is bright and my family looks forward to rooting for the next team that’s lucky enough to land him. We'll see ya’all ya’ll at the finals – Burnt Nostrils

Eric, nice post. Welcome to the mater.

Like I said in another thread....

"Kevin is deffs the man!!! From the first time I met him in 05, to the numerous times I saw him last season, he always had time to chat with me. He truly is a nice guy!! It's people like Kevin, that make me miss being back stateside and at the track."

Michael

But it is his business. Regardless of how many crew members he's gone through, he's still out there so he must be doing something right.
I understand that, Jenn..it's his toy-box..I just hate to see him going through the alphabet with crew chiefs.

Geez..he fired LaHaie once right? How does THAT happen?

There was a difference of opinion between LaHaie and Herbert. If you remember, Herbert went through a period where he deep staged on almost every run. Dick felt it screwed up his tune up. Their styles just didn't gel.

I like K.P. and I like Herbert, but I respect the decisions that Doug makes for his team since he pays the bills. Since I'm a bill payer myself, I can understand the reasoning for firing and hiring at will. (One of the cool things about being boss).

As soon as somebody here pulls together a couple million dollars plus KPs asking price, sets themself up a fuel team, they have the option of swiping KP, or any other crew chief within their budget, up and giving them the job and keeping them or letting him go whenever the fancy tickles them.

If there was a contract, buy out package or just a 'don't let the door hit you on the way out'. It's still Doug's decision, he's got the money, he's got the say. Soon as a crew chief starts bringing the money to the table, and paying the driver, the crewmen, the fuel bill, the mortgage like trailer payments, they can hire and fire whichever driver that dunks their oreos.

Jenn's post hits the bulls-eye.
I remember Jim O saying of working for Connie Kalitta: "He (Connie) signs the front of the checks and I sign the back."
I think if Doug Herbert began posting on the Mater, he would soon be glorified with the usual fawning, butt-kissing, and hero-worship thrown the way of every other sponsor, owner, driver, crew chief, or crew-member that posts here.

All of the "I pay the bills so I can hire/fire who I want" talk here misses the point. Of course you can (as long as it's within any applicable contract, and follows applicable laws).

You can also go up to the starting line with a brand new engine combination and a whole new crew every time too. The point is you're not going to win many races that way.

Listen to AJ about the Army team. What does he say about why they're doing so well? First thing he talks about is "some of these people have been with me or on this team for as many as 10 years". That team wins because it works like a machine, because it's a superb team. Sure they have essentially unlimited resources, but they're not the only one in that situation. What they have that few others have is one heck of a team. With a different crew chief several times a year, you'll never put together a winning team.

I don't have any idea why they keep turning over. But I've got 20+ years of managing huge teams, including working with CEOs of some of the biggest companies in the country and I can tell you that with a repeated pattern like this one, the odds of it being the fault of the one getting fired are very close to zero.

J
I think if Doug Herbert began posting on the Mater, he would soon be glorified with the usual fawning, butt-kissing, and hero-worship thrown the way of every other sponsor, owner, driver, crew chief, or crew-member that posts here.

DING DING DING We have a winner.
Sometimes it just gets very deep on here.

Glad someone has more gumption then I do who shares similar thoughts me.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back