Herbert Fires Poynter (1 Viewer)

KP brought strength to that organization when it had none, just the way he brought it to our team with Baca's car. KP has long since demonstrated his aptitude for tuning these race cars, and gives a better interview on TV then ANY driver in the NHRA (save John Force from 1995. He was still funny back in '95.)

I feel bad for Kevin, but at the same time I also think he just got parolled from Shawshank. There will be a laundry list of people that will hire Kevin and treat him with respect.

Much love to Terri and Kevin...love you both!

-Mike

PS: Kev, 3.78 in Virgina?!?! You. Friggin. Stud.

Ditto,
ps where the hell have you been

I wouldnt defend mine. Hell most of the time I dont even like him. Did I say that. Guess I been married a long time. LOL

Ha! Isn't that the way they say it goes.

Father Doug, the priest at our church is a widower, he entered seminary after his wife passed away, he likes to say "Sometimes marriage is a rosebush with thorns and sometimes it's a thornbush with roses"

As usual, I'll be the odd man out here.
Not only do I really like Doug Herbert, what he's done for this sport, his BRAKES program as a tribute to his sons, his staying power in a sport where names come and go with the wind and his willingness to associate directly with the fans, but I happen to believe he should continue to manage his team as he sees fit, as long as it has his name on it - without all the second-guessing from outsiders who neither take the credit/blame for the overall outcome of their efforts but don't have a financial stake in the discussion.

From reading every page in this thread, you'd swear most of you either paid the bills or were somehow invested in the operation financially.

Not to mention what Herbert did for Billy Williams ...RIP......during the years after hus wreck.......THANKS DOUG......

From reading every page in this thread, you'd swear most of you either paid the bills or were somehow invested in the operation financially.

I've always found this attitude interesting -- just because someone doesn't have a financial stake in an endeavor means they can't have and/or express an opinion about it? Surely, without a stake, Doug doesn't have to listen or care, but that means people can't say it?

Jenn's post hits the bulls-eye.
I remember Jim O saying of working for Connie Kalitta: "He (Connie) signs the front of the checks and I sign the back."
I think if Doug Herbert began posting on the Mater, he would soon be glorified with the usual fawning, butt-kissing, and hero-worship thrown the way of every other sponsor, owner, driver, crew chief, or crew-member that posts here.

Now that the money has been taken away from him. I don't think he will be hiring of firing anybody anytime to soon!

Herbert isn't an ambassador for the sport, he's the poster child for bad behavior. To get into a heated conversation with his crew in front of fans demonstrates his lack of control and focus.

KP, and Snap On are better off without him

This is show business and the show will go on.
Kevin is a great guy but Doug is a business owner and a top fuel car owner and has been doing this for a very long time. He is very successful and when you write the checks you have a different way of thinking than when you work for the man..
Jim B mentioned Kevin bailed due to an ass chewing but so what.
I do not think this is the place for a wife to come on and defend some situation that will not matter to anyones future....here..

An ass chewing? KP was a former Marine, he knows what an ass chewing is. Being publicly humiliated by a guy how couldn't control his car is a whole different story!

Herbert fired him, a number of people in the pits heard it. It's a fact.

Ask Snap On or NHRA and find out how many letters, calls, and Emails they got complaining about the un professionalism exhibited by Dumbzilla

An ass chewing? KP was a former Marine, he knows what an ass chewing is. Being publicly humiliated by a guy how couldn't control his car is a whole different story!

Ask Snap On or NHRA and find out how many letters, calls, and Emails they got complaining about the un professionalism exhibited by Dumbzilla

Jim - a little advice. Don't attempt to confuse Terry with facts! - :rolleyes:

Ask Snap On or NHRA and find out who many letters, calls, and Emails they got complaining about the un professionalism exhibited by Dumbzilla
That says a lot there doesn't it..or is it just a coincidence that the sponsor left?

And I respect Doug..and this is not a bash..but the inability to control emotions or whatever..might have cost him. Even though you write the checks and make all the calls..going overboard and firing on the spot might have been a bad decision.

I wish him luck..in spite of it all..seems like spur of the moment may have bit him in the butt.

i don't know how anyone who was dealt the cards doug was dealt
earlier this year could continue to do anything, much less race/travel continously.

IMO doug had a tremendous run with snap-on and represented them well.
best of luck to both in their future endeavors.

I'd bet that some folks that are offended if Herbert blows a gasket are the same ones that are OK with the Coach of there favorite Football or Baseball team going bananas. I'm sure that none of these people have ever gotten upset themselves. How come nobody here complains about the good old days when Mr. Kalitta would freak out and start throwing things? That's probably because there are so many Kalitta supporters here. Looks like we are back to this problem with showing emotions again. The day care center is down the hall to the left. Enough already.

Dave

Isn't it ironic how some throw a fit and are hailed for mixing it up and keeping it from being boring and others are thrown under the bus for having emotions at all? There's a certain mentality that finds pleasure in other's misery. It's easy to see reading this thread that some will gladly kick a man while they are sufficiently down.

First, a very difficult divorce then news that your only two sons have been taken home way early then after enduring maybe the toughest year ever, you cap it off with news that you lose your long-term sponsor. Is that far enough down to start the kicking?

Eight pages and counting says it's perfect timing for some.

I prefer to say "Thank you Doug for all you do."
I also want to wish Kevin the best of luck and congratulate him for all the progress he's made toward being a "Top-Shelf" crew chief. I hope to watch him for many years to come.

Isn't it ironic how some throw a fit and are hailed for mixing it up and keeping it from being boring and others are thrown under the bus for having emotions at all? There's a certain mentality that finds pleasure in other's misery. It's easy to see reading this thread that some will gladly kick a man while they are sufficiently down.

First, a very difficult divorce then news that your only two sons have been taken home way early then after enduring maybe the toughest year ever, you cap it off with news that you lose your long-term sponsor. Is that far enough down to start the kicking?

I also want to wish Kevin the best of luck and congratulate him for all the progress he's made toward being a "Top-Shelf" crew chief. I hope to watch him for many years to come.

Bobby, May I say very well put. Mike

I dont think people are kicking Doug while he is down...
He has gone throught some bad times.
But in this case losing your temp and firing a great CC like KP is grounds for the nick name Dumbzilla!

Good luck KP! you had a great year.

Now that the money has been taken away from him. I don't think he will be hiring of firing anybody anytime to soon!

After a divorce and the loss of his two sons, I don't think the loss of a sponsor or a crew chief is any big deal to Doug Herbert. He's a self-made successfull business owner and racer, he'll find a way to race in 2009.

After a divorce and the loss of his two sons, I don't think the loss of a sponsor or a crew chief is any big deal to Doug Herbert. He's a self-made successfull business owner and racer, he'll find a way to race in 2009.

I’m well aware Doug owns a parts company but he won't race with his own money! If he did he would have nothing to worry about.
I feel for him. I was simply pointing out that he will probably be sidelined for 2009 as sponsorship’s will be hard to come by and anybody who wants or is thinking of sponsoring a car will look for a successful operation which unfortunately they have not been.
I would like to see Doug win a Championship but the likelyhood is pretty slim.

I wasn't there so I don't know (or care to know) how or what went down between Doug and Kevin but there are some guy's who are pretty harsh and that is what I think doc is refering too.
I hope he gets a sponsorship they (NHRA) needs as many cars as they can get to have a complete field.
You think this is bad wait till the credit card crisis hits the economy what ever spending that is happening now will become stagnant!

Yep Doc, you said it best.

Sometimes all this gets downright disgusting.

And I am disgusted.

'Nuff said:mad:

REX

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back