Herbert Fires Poynter (1 Viewer)

Let's get the facts straight Kevin Poynter left on his own after Q3 he was not fired

Yes, I am his wife! And, yes, you are correct in that a woman should stand by her man. But, the fact remains that he did NOT quit! I was there. Were you?

I could go into details, but feel that it is better left as is. Neither myself nor my husband are making this up. And, if he had quit, as you state, he would have no problem whatsoever stating such. Kevin would not quit due to the fact that they were so close to moving up in points, and he would NEVER do that to his crew, despite the actions of Doug. If he was going to quit, he would have done it back when the team was first disrespected earlier this year.

Kevin and Keith knew Doug's reputation going into this season when accepting the position, and stepped on board with an open mind and a flaming determination to win. Quitting was not an option for Kevin! He wanted to win just as much, if not more than Doug. And, he sincerely wanted to win "for the boys"!

He has not forgotten where he came from, and never will!

This is show business and the show will go on.
Kevin is a great guy but Doug is a business owner and a top fuel car owner and has been doing this for a very long time. He is very successful and when you write the checks you have a different way of thinking than when you work for the man..
Jim B mentioned Kevin bailed due to an ass chewing but so what.
I do not think this is the place for a wife to come on and defend some situation that will not matter to anyones future....here..

Kevin here! Fact of the matter, none of you were there - even Jim B., who by the way, was replaced last year, and has nothing to do with this. I will be in Pomona for any one that feels they must know the truth about it, and we can then go talk to Herbert about this man to man. If Jim B. wants to talk about it, we will do so as well. And, you are right - it will not affect my career other than the fact that I will be respected and appreciated with the next team. Everyone will believe what they choose to anyways.

Since when were there rules that forbid a wife from speaking the truth in defense of her husband anywhere?

Last edited:
This thread has reached its breaking point. Kevin, you are a great tuner and Terri, I respect you for coming on here defending your husband...I would have done the same thing. The truth of the matter is that when there are disputes there is always going to be two sides to every story and each person can decide for themselves who to believe but the simple fact is that Kevin Poynter is not tuning Doug Herbert's top fuel team anymore. It should probably be left at that.

Kevin, your not my favorite tuner by mistake! You'll be great somewhere else and don't let this get you down. You'll be back stronger than ever next year. BTW, I hear some TF champ is looking for a tuner...

First of all: We have never met somebody who has so much respect for the driver, race car, people/ crew or tools as Kevin. He knows that in this sport it is never easy. And he wouldn't want it any other way. He is a very hard working man who dedicates everything he has into the work he is doing. And behind every strong man stands a strong wife. No matter what anybody else says here on this board; Always follow your heart. And that Terri is standing behind her man is not because she has to, but because she loves him. We don't know Doug Herbert personaly so we can not give an opinion about him. All we know about him are the story's we heard. The one thing we respected about Doug was the fact that he was the first Top Fuel owner who gave Kevin the possibility to be a crew chief. And as Bob Frey said early in the season: The best thing Herbert has done in years is hiring Kevin Poynter. And that is exactly how it is. Kevin and Terri, you guys are both great people and we are very honored to call you our friends. We are very sure that Kevin will find a job again. We can't wait to see you in Pomona.

Lex & Gerda

Terri and Kevin,

Please, don't mind Terry Jones. He is the self appointed "I know everyone and everthing that goes on in the nitro ranks" here at the Mater. Just ignore him, he will go away (hopefully). ;)

Kevin, best of luck wherever you end up.

KP brought strength to that organization when it had none, just the way he brought it to our team with Baca's car. KP has long since demonstrated his aptitude for tuning these race cars, and gives a better interview on TV then ANY driver in the NHRA (save John Force from 1995. He was still funny back in '95.)

I feel bad for Kevin, but at the same time I also think he just got parolled from Shawshank. There will be a laundry list of people that will hire Kevin and treat him with respect.

Much love to Terri and Kevin...love you both!

-Mike

PS: Kev, 3.78 in Virgina?!?! You. Friggin. Stud.

Last edited:
No matter what anyone says.. KP ROCKS!! just look at his record and what he did for Herbert..

'Nuff said!!

T :D

Kevin here! Fact of the matter, none of you were there - even Jim B., who by the way, was replaced last year, and has nothing to do with this. I will be in Pomona for any one that feels they must know the truth about it, and we can then go talk to Herbert about this man to man. If Jim B. wants to talk about it, we will do so as well. And, you are right - it will not affect my career other than the fact that I will be respected and appreciated with the next team. Everyone will believe what they choose to anyways.

Since when were there rules that forbid a wife from speaking the truth in defense of her husband anywhere?

This is why I like this guy. Kevin will not be unemployed very long. Good luck Kevin. Dave

I'm not going to coment on who was fired or hired at Herbert's. The thing I find really funny about this thread is how many people are enjoying crapping all over Doug. I seem to recall a lot of love being directed towards him earlier this year from several people here on the Mater. I don't know about others, but Doug has always been very nice to me.

Dave

"He's nice to me".
What exactly does that mean?
Does a snipet of "nice" transcend a man into anything more than a one second's worth?

I don't think anyone needs to know the situation here because it really doesn't matter. It's totally secondary. It's about how one man treats another publically, professionally and another ugly unveiling for the world to witness..

There are a lot of "nice" things said to people at a rope line. There are a lot of "nice" things said when autographs are signed and pictures are taken. I would hope that people can look past the "nice" and understand that being nice is simple a component of representing a sponsor. Some are actually "nice" because they are good people. Some people are extremely nice when they shake your hand with the right, and nicely stick a knife in your back with the left hand. Then there are some who a really not nice at all, but must summon up everything they have to fake it for a short time with the fans.
Just smiling and being nice doesn't impress me.
I see it different here.
Using the period where Doug lost his sons as people being nice isn't fair.
People can understand the pain that the man was going through, and NO person on Earth should have to endure that particular cruel hardship. I think people also felt horribly bad for Doug because he somehow was unaware of what was going on at home. But, how that loss hasn't helped him evolve into a different person is a little strange to me. This tour was about his boys, not "him".. That alone was telling to me. Even if he HATED Kevin P., he should have gotten through the year with the same passion for the mission for his boys without this selfish distraction. The message this year was about his boys, and how to save others in the same situation, and not about a qualifying slot.

"Nice" is done 24 X 7.
Nice is treating others with the same respect that you would like to be treated with as well.
Nice is not using your silver spoon position to look down on another man, and boy oh boy have we seen that before out of him.....
Nice is never embarrassing another in front of his piers.
"Nice" and "class" are the same thing here.
Doug doesn't seem to care about any of these things....
I know personally that being berative doesn't do anything other than bolsters one self image as some sort of badazz.
I don't know KP, never met him, but I can bet that like any hard working man, if he were treated with respect, offered encouragement instead of "holier than thou" attitude, and was told to "get-r-done" in a respectful and understanding way, he would have taken a bullet to get the man another win.. And, win they would have.....
Get it?

We may not all agree with Doug's decision regarding his race team, but that can not be the sole indicator on the type of person he is.

Doug has done a lot of great things and has been very generous to many in need at various times. Doug's support for Billy Williams after he was injured should be considered more of an indicator of the type of person he is that whether he fires Crew Chiefs regularly.

We all have personality flaws, like it or not, but someones true character comes out in adverse times and I think that Doug has proven he is a good guy and that he deserves a little more respect than he is getting here.

We (I) may not agree with what appears to be a revolving door for crew chiefs at Doug's pit, but Doug's deal is exactly that, Doug's deal!

I do wish Kevin the best of luck where he lands next, he is one of my favorite Crew Chiefs, and a great tuner, and will be a great addition to the team that selects him.

I finally watched the qualifying recording last night. I thought Tony's comments after Q4 and they were giving him the trophy and jacket were interesting. I'm paraphrasing, but he said something about when things aren't going well, THEIR team doesn't get mad and start firing people...they work through it as a team.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.......

All things being equal.............my guess is that AJ would have been fired way before "the run" :) just too many first round losses ;)

I'm not going to coment on who was fired or hired at Herbert's. The thing I find really funny about this thread is how many people are enjoying crapping all over Doug. I seem to recall a lot of love being directed towards him earlier this year from several people here on the Mater. I don't know about others, but Doug has always been very nice to me.

Dave

Good call, everyone jumpin him for the "clay" incident.So what, heat of the moment, by the way wasn't that about 5 years ago.What about Warren callin Dave a punk OH MY.I am sure it wasn't anything Kevin did great tuner .My guess Doug had very very high hopes this year due to the circumstances.

In all fairness, Peter Lehman was the one that really caused the "Dougzilla" incident. Clay wasn't the bad guy in that tussle.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back