Herbert Fires Poynter (1 Viewer)

I just thought that I would update all of you on the facts from the weekend. In Q1 on Friday, the cannon failed to get charged on the starting line. In Q2, there was a clutch issue that caused tire shake, and Doug then pedaled it to a 4.26. In Q3 Saturday, there were no problems with the car, Doug just got out of the groove and drove over the center line. All of this could have been overcome in Q4, since there was nothing wrong with the car in Q3, if Doug had given Kevin and Keith Stewart, and the crew - together as a team - the opportunity to do so. Instead, once Doug got back to the pits, he fired Kevin while he was upset, and most likely not thinking about the consequences of his actions on not only himself, but also the other people that it would affect - such as the crew members that have worked so hard to achieve a common goal.
It is very sad because problems exist with every team - even the best. I don't think that there is a team out there that hasn't smoked the tires, had a part failure, had a team member, a crew chief, or a driver make a mistake, or just plain old lost a race - that is life!. And, they were right up there fighting with the best, and so close to the best finish of Doug's NHRA career. And, as far as I am concerned, Kevin and Keith Stewart ARE some of the best. And, kudos to the entire team for all of their efforts!
Those who work so very hard, and sacrifice so much of their own lives for you, should be respected, appreciated, and rewarded - not abused.
And, thank you all for all of the support for my husband. I know that he truly appreciates each and every one of you. And, he is and will be fine. He will be back next year, and appreciated and respected with whichever team that might be with.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Mater Terri.
I'm sorry it had to be in such circumstances.
Please thank Kevin for all the good he's doing in our sport.

Thank you, Bobby. I have passed your thoughts and thanks on to Kevin. He sends a thank you back at you, for not only the support you show him, but also as a fan of the sport itself!

hi Terri,
I met you in the stands at Pomona a couple years ago.

I became a fan of Kevin when he was with Baca. That was a fun time.
Am bummed out about this deal going down.
Will be cheering for Kevin no matter where he goes.

Thank you, Paul! We will be in Pomona in a couple of weeks. Not sure as to where or with who, but will be there supporting all of our friends and extended family members in the sport. I will keep you all posted as to what Kevin is going to be doing in the future.

Rahn is the exception to the rle over there, and I am glad as I like Rahn a lot. Cruz has acknowledged this, as you said.

Cruz was changing Crew Chiefs quicker than his underwear before Rahn, as Herbert has been doing for the last few years.

Rahn's definately the exception. I reckon you're pretty right Junior, Cruz seemed to have a pretty good revolving door deal happening with crew chiefs and from what I understand he, like Doug, knows more than the actual crew cheifs...:(

JMO.
I think the NHRA would be a better place without Doug Herbert.
I have a problem with a person who openly and publically berates another competitor, (Clay) as if the NHRA is "his" playground. It just demonstrates a lack of respect for the NHRA, his competitors rights and sacrifices to line up next to him, and an ego totally out of control.
Then he dives straight in to his crews "smoke blowin'" with Dougzilla.
That made me about barf right there.

It's especially sad that it happened during the "For My Boys' tour..
This kind of spoils the year and the team effort to pull together for Doug and his family.. It's not about wins or losses, at least for me it wouldn't be.. It would be about going forward under impossible circumstances, shrugging off things that get into the way and making a positive difference in peoples' lives, especially when things go wrong for whatever reason.
When many people are involved with a project like preparing a car, things can and will go wrong. It's amazing what can happen when someone faces down adversity from all directions and perserveres forward. I would bet that Coil has had a few days like that also. The reactions and the things learned are those that forge a man into a future success. Temper tantrums are what rips everything apart.

I would be so totally impressed if Doug would come out publically and apologize to Poynter and asks him to come back.
But, usually ego gets into the way of rational, personal regard and intelligent thinking.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding Terri! It is unfortunate how this all played out, but things happen for a reason and I am sure Kevin will be in a better place in the end. Good luck Kevin, you have many supporters here.

It seems with the small amount of reliable crew chiefs to choose from that Doug Herbert might be running out of options.

I don't know Doug personally and can't comment on the way he runs his business.

I just find it strange that he and Morgan Lucas always seem to jump the gun by hiring and firing people at a moments notice. Give somebody a chance to prove themself.

Just my .02.

I used to respect Doug when he first started running TF. Followed his career and rooted for him in the 90's, during his IHRA run. But since he fired Dick LaHaie early (after Dicko stated he was going to Snake the following year) he lost all my respect as a businessman. Lost my respect as a racer when he fired Rob Flynn....and I may be one of the few who supported him when he brought Wayne Dupuy back to life, but didn't feel bad when DUpuy stiffed him the way he did...I kinda figured turnabout's fairplay. I don't know the intimate details of what happened this past weekend, but I can assume some stuff based on past conversations....I still respect Doug as a person, but will not be in his lane on raceday anymore.

As a racer, I also stopped supporting Doug Herbert Performance parts years ago....same reasons.

Last edited:
He seems to come across as someone who shouldn't have a problem tuning the car himself.

I would just like to say that after attending this years Reading race that Kevin Poynter became my favorite crew chief. When I walked up to the pits, he was the nicest, friendliest and most respectful crew chief in the area. Terri, I am glad you came on here and cleared things up. I wish the best for you and Kevin, and I know you will be back strong next year. This was such a dumb idea for Herbert.

I just find it strange that he and Morgan Lucas always seem to jump the gun by hiring and firing people at a moments notice. Give somebody a chance to prove themself.

I was sure hoping that Herbert was going to keep Poynter, darn he almost made it through the end of the season. :( :mad:

That said, he and Lucas share the same trait: Of the track I'm sure they're fine people but when it comes to their racing operation with firing people all the time they come off as egotistical punks who think their sh*t don't stink! :mad:

It is too bad that Doug doesn't see that attitude/tone/tenor have a lot to do with the results you get in life. Ever since the Clay Millican episode a few years ago, the "Dougzilla" affair, I stopped supporting Doug. There's just no call for it.

Doug's play-by-play with Bob Frey in TF Round 1 wavered between moderately insightful to sad and demeaning. To later find out that he had just punted Kevin to the curb when he clearly was at fault in Q3 (everyone there saw it)... well, ouch.

I'm sure sponsors see what a difference attitude makes. I've never even considered buying the parts for our car from Doug's company -- entirely based on Doug's demeanor. And don't get me started as to why I've never bought from Summit either... Let's just say it has something to do with the Summit PS cars. Nope, it's Jegs all the way for me.

It is too bad that Doug doesn't see that attitude/tone/tenor have a lot to do with the results you get in life. Ever since the Clay Millican episode a few years ago, the "Dougzilla" affair, I stopped supporting Doug. There's just no call for it.

Doug's play-by-play with Bob Frey in TF Round 1 wavered between moderately insightful to sad and demeaning. To later find out that he had just punted Kevin to the curb when he clearly was at fault in Q3 (everyone there saw it)... well, ouch.

I'm sure sponsors see what a difference attitude makes. I've never even considered buying the parts for our car from Doug's company -- entirely based on Doug's demeanor. And don't get me started as to why I've never bought from Summit either... Let's just say it has something to do with the Summit PS cars. Nope, it's Jegs all the way for me.

Jeg's and Craftsman or Matco

I was sure hoping that Herbert was going to keep Poynter, darn he almost made it through the end of the season. :( :mad:

That said, he and Lucas share the same trait: Of the track I'm sure they're fine people but when it comes to their racing operation with firing people all the time they come off as egotistical punks who think their sh*t don't stink! :mad:

I don't think Morgan's doing the hiring and firing over there Samuel....

I think it is unfair to throw anyone under the bus when you don't know the facts. Frankly, it is none of our business!

I think it is unfair to throw anyone under the bus when you don't know the facts. Frankly, it is none of our business!

Oh, come on, it's the Mater -- everything's our business, and throwing people under the bus without all the facts is the rule, not the exception :)

Remember Marty is the money man over there. Hopefully we'll see Kevin somewhere soon! Good luck Kevin!

Just to clear the air, the facts are the facts on the issue of Kevin being fired by Doug. The statements made were done in good taste, without throwing anyone under the bus - even though we all know the truth about Doug. Kevin and I only wish the best for ALL of the drivers and crew members out at the track.

Kevin is one of the most dedicated guys I know to the sport of drag racing, and has earned the respect that he so deserves, as does any other person out there that pours their heart and soul into it. I only wish that Doug realized what he had in his team with Kevin, Keith and the crew. You guys are the best!

And, as far as all of the rumors going around about Keith Stewart and the crew members that did not walk off the job or stand up to Doug when Kevin was fired goes, we still love them, and we respect the fact that they need a paycheck. Some of them, including Keith, have children, and families to support. And, we hold no blame on them for a decision that was solely made by one man.

Racing goes on, and so will Kevin!

p.s. - Susie, Kevin would like Jim-o to call him when he has a chance.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back