Wayne Dupuy unexpectedly leaves Herbert Racing (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Wayne Dupuy unexpectedly leaves
Doug Herbert Racing

LINCOLNTON, NC: Doug Herbert received a surprising phone call while boarding his flight leaving Denver on Sunday evening. Wayne Dupuy called to let him know that he was overloaded and needed to take a leave of absence and would not be able to continue as crew chief on the Snap-on Tools race team.

"To say I was shocked would be a huge understatement," said Herbert. "I spent time with Wayne after we lost in the first round and we were both encouraged with the consistency of the car in Denver and agreed that going to Seattle would be a great place to turn our season around. I had no clue Wayne was even contemplating a change. Since his accident last Thanksgiving I have stuck by Wayne and done everything that I could to help him and his family with the recovery. I wish Wayne the best."

Herbert raced to a career-best 6th place finish in the 2005 POWERade Drag Racing Series season-ending point's standings and ran a career-best 4.441 elapsed time in a No. 1 qualifying effort in Dallas with Dupuy as crew chief.

"Right now I am talking with several people about helping us run the car," said Herbert, an 8-time NHRA Top Fuel national event winner. "Luckily, I have a bunch of friends in the business and I am sure that we can find someone to help us even though it is a little tough on such short notice."

Man.....that's too bad. I've just had a sort of vibe that something personally for Wayne just hasn't been right ever since the accident.

I just hope Wayne is able to get whatever it is straightened out and come back soon. He's a great asset to the sport.

Best of luck to Wayne and Doug!

any ideas of who herbet will end up with, mabey johnny west along with jim brissette (if he would come back) ? and did wayne leave to go somewhere else? mabey the kalitta f/c ?

I read Johnny West went to work with Millican/Klober....

Who is left?

I don't know if Jim Brissette would go back???

That is a pretty shocking story....

I hope they parted on good terms. I read all Dougs blogs all winter and the concern he had for Wayne was the same anyone would have for a close family member. I wish them bost the best of luck in their futures, and hold out hope they can get back together. I know it's been a tough tough year for Wayne.

Here's a real kick in the crotch from a guy who was basically nursed back to health by Dougzilla?
I understand that there's friction in every pit given certain circumstances or at certain times but loyalty to Wayne seemed in full supply. Either way, since I would like to Herbert sift to the top of the heap, maybe this will be the closed door that necessitates opening another window?

With agent 1320s latest rumor about Alan Johnson, I can put all my energy into hoping he and Herbert could work something out. I'd love to see the field chase him for a couple decades? Hey, I can wish, right?

WOW!!! I am shocked!!!
As an outsider it seems like Doug has bent over backwards for Wayne. Even having to make the decision to let Brissette go.

If I had to guess (hey, we get to do that here...) I would bet it is more family related. Wayne moved away from his family to run Herbert's crew. I can't imagine the strain of that after the accident and everything.

I really wish them all the best.

You have to wonder if Dupuy felt he wasn't able to tune the car to the best of his abilities. I expected big things from Herbert this year after he ran so well last year.

I didn't see this one coming. With the recent results, I could only imagine how much pressure was building on the team. Good luck to all involved.

[/COLOR]
Here's a real kick in the crotch from a guy who was basically nursed back to health by Dougzilla?
I understand that there's friction in every pit given certain circumstances or at certain times but loyalty to Wayne seemed in full supply. Either way, since I would like to Herbert sift to the top of the heap, maybe this will be the closed door that necessitates opening another window?

With agent 1320s latest rumor about Alan Johnson, I can put all my energy into hoping he and Herbert could work something out. I'd love to see the field chase him for a couple decades? Hey, I can wish, right?
a double kick to the crotch if he ends up with Schumacher:D

It may be something related to his accident, after a major head trauma, I understand that sometimes tempers and personalities change along with abilities.

I like watching Herbert win and Wayne tune and it doesn't say that he's leaving for good, just a leave of absence, or am I not reading this right?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back