Good job Whit! (1 Viewer)

sdwarf36

Nitro Member
Boy-I can't believe no-one has made any comments on Whits job as a pit reporter. While I am in no way a fan (or wasn't anyways) I thought he did a great job. Asking The Don "how much more does it cost to run per car in Denver?" Or Tim R. about having the wrong pistons--excellent! Actual tech questions. Too much time has been spent on trying to get the newbies (that probably fell asleep watching girls volleyball + woke up to find drag racing on) "up to speed"-- how about tech stuff for us gearheads? It was sooo much more worth listening to than Gary Gerold asking the same silly crap over + over again"you just redlite your way out of the countdown-how does that make you feel?"- just giving the drivers a place to plug their sponsors.
I expected a "loose cannon" Whit-not at all. Maybe its because all the questions asked of him were set ups--trying to get him to go off? And here he was able to ask the questions. No sour grapes at all.

Been getting my 15 to 20 minute doses of Whit weekly over at RPM2night. I enjoy listening to him.

We'll get to hear and see him the next two weekends... I'm looking forward to it.

d'kid

He's a nice addition to the broadcast. Of course, I've always liked him anyway.

Boy-I can't believe no-one has made any comments on Whits job as a pit reporter. While I am in no way a fan (or wasn't anyways) I thought he did a great job. Asking The Don "how much more does it cost to run per car in Denver?" Or Tim R. about having the wrong pistons--excellent! Actual tech questions. Too much time has been spent on trying to get the newbies (that probably fell asleep watching girls volleyball + woke up to find drag racing on) "up to speed"-- how about tech stuff for us gearheads? It was sooo much more worth listening to than Gary Gerold asking the same silly crap over + over again"you just redlite your way out of the countdown-how does that make you feel?"- just giving the drivers a place to plug their sponsors.
I expected a "loose cannon" Whit-not at all. Maybe its because all the questions asked of him were set ups--trying to get him to go off? And here he was able to ask the questions. No sour grapes at all.

To be fair, Whit asked a lot of "How does that make you feel?" questions, as well.

Networks love that. They want to convey the emotion of the moment to the viewers at home. Especially when it's a bad emotion. Those will always be around.

I also really liked the segments Whit added to the show. I really miss the "harder core" tech stuff and angles that seemed to go away since the Diamond P days.

I must admit I already liked Whit, ever since he stopped by our sportsman pit on his way back to his after blowing up the "fast orange" body on his FC at Topeka and petted our dog. I asked, you going to be able to make it back for tomorrow? and he replied something along the lines of "yea but I may need to borrow this dog so I have a freind back there...I think my crew is going to be mad at me"....good stuff.

I also thought (although I wasn't' thrilled about all the outcomes) that the overall show was good, actually made it all the way through. Like the on board camera stuff, Whit's stuff was good, overall seemed to be a good show.

To be fair, Whit asked a lot of "How does that make you feel?" questions, as well.

Networks love that. They want to convey the emotion of the moment to the viewers at home. Especially when it's a bad emotion. Those will always be around.

Your right alot of the questions were shallow, Force hinted at what a crappy question about whether that explosion was in his head was in the top end interview.

I love whit, but I just don't think he is a good interviewer. Leave it to the guys who do that for a living. Might be good at prepared interviews or taped segments though.. maybe a little commentary, but not interviews.

I love whit, but I just don't think he is a good interviewer. Leave it to the guys who do that for a living. Might be good at prepared interviews or taped segments though.. maybe a little commentary, but not interviews.

Couldn't agree more Nick!

I'm biassed and enjoyed Whit on the coverage. I'd have preferred it if he was on the other side of it. Maybe one day.

Whit did an outstanding job for the "First time out" Most people don't understand how hard it really is, to get comfortable with a camera in your face for the first time. I can almost guarantee that he will be "performing like a pro" before the swing is over!:)

I too admit I always liked Whits "Tell it like it is" attitude while driving.
I think he really outperformed his last stint as pit reporter on the deuce.

My question relates to the wrong pistons ordered by The General. Can anyone remember another pit reporters' question that would rival the insight
and knowledge Whit displayed when he spoke of thinner head gaskets to
increase compression ratio to compensate for pistons that were {I assume}
the wrong dome height. And my question excludes Mike Dunn as he is not a pit reporter.

Next, we get John Kernan on each broadcast and I think all would be good!
I also like that with extra pit reporters, they get the chance to briefly talk to the looser @ topend, not just the winner. Makes the whole deal more rounded and the viewer gets to feel more like an insider!

Just my opinion. Someone get Whit in here to give us his thoughts on the weekend!

John

While I have my own personal reasons for not being a Whit fan, I was actually very impressed with his interviews. He did seem a bit nervous at times (might just be my perception) but I really liked the way he came across as "racer to racer" instead of just a reporter sticking a mic in someone's face. I won't mind watching him again the next 2 weekends. And that's saying a lot....

I'd sure like to see them bring on TJ to pit report for a few races too :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back