Force Funny Cars (1 Viewer)

Dennis

Nitro Member
Just curious, is there an estimated time that Force will debut an actual Camaro funny car body? Surprised that the NHRA has allowed them to change the headlight stickers and call it a Camaro for more than a year now.

I know things take time to design and manufacture and I assumed that was why they got a "waiver" for 2015. I thought I read somewhere that the new body would be on the rails in Gainesville but I could be mistaken. Or are the bodies (among all manufacturers) more or less spec and the NHRA is letting them go with it?

First it was supposed to be Gainesville, then it was supposed to be Vegas 1. Maybe GM had to recall those bodies :D

Just curious, is there an estimated time that Force will debut an actual Camaro funny car body? Surprised that the NHRA has allowed them to change the headlight stickers and call it a Camaro for more than a year now.

I know things take time to design and manufacture and I assumed that was why they got a "waiver" for 2015. I thought I read somewhere that the new body would be on the rails in Gainesville but I could be mistaken. Or are the bodies (among all manufacturers) more or less spec and the NHRA is letting them go with it?

Seriously?
Remove the paint on any FC body, and they all look like the same unidentifiable upside down bath tub.
Is there anything on ANY funny car body that makes them remotely Ford or Toyota or GM?
Slap a sticker on any of them, and violet' you have what model you want.
They all look totally stupid to me.

George Civiletto: Your comment,

"Slap a sticker on any of them, and violet' you have what model you want."
They all look totally stupid to me.

I agree with you! I think that might make us "Old Skool" !!!

Maybe that why I find myself watching the Nostalgia Drag Racing more then the new stuff these day's.

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Want to slow down TF and FC? Make 'em run the wing, tire and bodies they had to back in the day!
A new Funny Car body never influenced me into buying a particular modern car....bring back nostalgia bodied F/C

How cool would it be to see two convertible 1970 VW Bugs sitting on the starting line belching out 100% nitro with flames as big as Dallas.:D "oop's! I got carried away for a minute" :)

The bodies are different out of the mold. It's actually quite easy to tell the difference.

Easy to tell?
May I ask, to who? You?
How about the rest of the world.. who would look at any modern Funny Car as something "other" than a car.
What is a fan supporting today? Bath tub in lane 1 or bath tub in lane 2 with different headlight stickers?
One called a Chevy, and the other a Dodge because the brand lettering on the windshield is the only clue?
Ya have to laugh at the direct insult to a consumers intellect, young and old alike.

Want to see what an actual funny 'car' should look like? One that would instantly give chills to any brand loyalist the second it fired up?
Look back to when a body resembled an actual production automobile instead of an egg with an engine.

Want to see what a funny car should look like once more?
Look up Dale Pulde's Summerset.
Raymond Beadles Mustangs.
Tim Grose's Trans Ams.
John Force's Vettes..
Back when the lines of a funny car were similar to the manufacturer represented.
Aerodynamically fair? Hell no, but Pulde won a ton of races and a ton of fans for Buick,...without going 320MPH.

I don't blame the car owners, they are simply trying to win by pressuring the NHRA for parity..
I blame the NHRA, their unwillingness to stay strong to the mission, and their lack of preserving the automotive integrity and heritage that this sport was born from..

So when someone complains that Force isn't driving a "real" Camaro body, most of us old skoolers can't help but laugh out loud at what has become of a "once" great and beautiful class of NHRA racing.

Last edited:
Easy to tell?
May I ask, to who? You?
How about the rest of the world.. who would look at any modern Funny Car as something "other" than a car.
What is a fan supporting today? Bath tub in lane 1 or bath tub in lane 2 with different headlight stickers?
One called a Chevy, and the other a Dodge because the brand lettering on the windshield is the only clue?
Ya have to laugh at the direct insult to a consumers intellect, young and old alike.

Want to see what an actual funny 'car' should look like? One that would instantly give chills to any brand loyalist the second it fired up?
Look back to when a body resembled an actual production automobile instead of an egg with an engine.

Want to see what a funny car should look like once more?
Look up Dale Pulde's Summerset.
Raymond Beadles Mustangs.
Tim Grose's Trans Ams.
John Force's Vettes..
Back when the lines of a funny car were similar to the manufacturer represented.
Aerodynamically fair? Hell no, but Pulde won a ton of races and a ton of fans for Buick,...without going 320MPH.

I don't blame the car owners, they are simply trying to win by pressuring the NHRA for parity..
I blame the NHRA, their unwillingness to stay strong to the mission, and their lack of preserving the automotive integrity and heritage that this sport was born from..

So when someone complains that Force isn't driving a "real" Camaro body, most of us old skoolers can't help but laugh out loud at what has become of a "once" great and beautiful class of NHRA racing.

I like the old stuff just as much as you do. I was mearly stating a fact that the new bodies are in fact different.

I hope those waiting for the new Camaro FC bodies aren't expecting too much. I mean, they may be slightly different than what Force is using now, but probably not a ton. I liken modern FC bodies to the fast class of the IMSA road race series, not sure if they are still called prototypes, but they basically have the grill and taillights off of the production cars they represent. What I caught this weekend about the Force camp that I think is cool is the fact that Rick Hendrick is giving some help. Hendrick is obviously a huge gearhead, and a zillionaire, having him involved in drag racing at any level is great.

the early 90's were the last great years of FC. they all started looking awfully similar, but at least the side (windows) of the canopy were still flush with side of body, and the front ends were molded slightly different as per mnfg'r. then they started to narrow the canopy. the side would come up from the ground and roll 90 degrees until the canopy started; seem to remember looking at capp's copehagen camaro sometime in mid-90's? the camaro had nice roll to it, then ford was more pronounced sharp angle, can't remember what dodge did. the bodies have been all down hill from there.....wedges with a wart. not too appealing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back