Chevrolet to start the reproduction of the Camaro (1 Viewer)

Well then you must have not read all of my post, especuially the link at the bottom........................http://www.dodgechallenger.com/forums/m_4921/tm.htm

Didn't read the entire link, but the reply from the good German Doctor stated that DB has no plans at this time to build the 'Cuda... but they could, both being based on the platform.

The real question is why? I always liked the Cuda better than the Challenger, but unless they get them in the 22-25 thousand base range, 29-32 with the big motor, why bother...

I think Ford screwed up with the Stang, one major way... You can't get one without power everything and AC... I've used the AC once since I bought the car. I can live with hand cranked windows, key locked and unlocked doors and trunk, no cruse control (still haven't figured that out) and traded all the extra weight and cost for a larger base engine...

If I wanted a luxury car, I would have bought one, I was looking for a pony car... cheap, with enough horses to get from stop light to stop light, and have a little fun on a back road.

All that other stuff should be options, ya should be able to buy yourself a Q-boat, if that's all you want or need

Shan, you must be new to drag racing. It's really only been a few years (2003-2004) since the Monte Carlo was made the body of choice for ALL GM teams. Prior to 2004 everyone that had GM affiliation ran either a Camaro or Firebird body on their Funny Cars, and it has been even more recent that the Alcohol bodied funnies got the Monte Carlo body. They still ran Camaro's and Firebirds (some still do) as the Nitro Funny Car version of the Monte Carlo was not suitable aerodynamically for Top Alcohol since they don't and can't use the extreme downforce that the Nitro cars need. Prior to 2004, there were tons of Camaro bodied funnies, although the Firebird seemed to be the body of choice out of the two pony cars.
Of course I am familiar with the Firebird body, but I honestly can't recall ever hearing someone say a camaro body, not on a funny car anyway. But it's probably one of those things where you hear it all the time and it never registers (I'm sure it isn't because I wasn't listening :p ), because I've been watching racing for as long as I can remember. My dad and brothers ruled the television growing up! :D

As a dealer I will tell you that they have 2 problems right now with the car, not retro enough, and they not sure if they can sell 100,000 cars a year which tells me that its probably over priced. Like a mustang, this car should be offered with a V-6 automatic and them go from there. It has a very limited market as they want to build it.

Of course I am familiar with the Firebird body, but I honestly can't recall ever hearing someone say a camaro body, not on a funny car anyway. But it's probably one of those things where you hear it all the time and it never registers (I'm sure it isn't because I wasn't listening :p ), because I've been watching racing for as long as I can remember. My dad and brothers ruled the television growing up! :D

Shan,

Here is a link (click here) to a very recent pic of a Camaro bodied Funny Car driven by Bob Gilbertson. It was taken just last year (2005). Bob purchased the Camaro body from Don Prudhomme Racing as they had extra Camaro bodies from the two-car Skoal Team when both Tommy Johnson and Ron Capps drove Camaro bodied cars prior to the release of the Monte Carlo funny car bodies in 2004. Another team that ran Camaro bodies was the Chuck Etchells/Whit Bazemore Kendall Oil-Matco Tools team from the late 90's and early 2000's, before Whit moved over to DSR. There were others, although the Firebird was the body of choice for most GM affiliated teams. The only ones that ran the Camaro were those that had a close relationship (sponsorship) from Chevrolet/GM. But you are right, there weren't alot of recent Funny Cars that ran the Camaro body, but in the past (60's - 70's - 80's) there were tons!

Shan, and others who may have clicked on the link posted in my previous thread. It doesn't actually take you to the pic of Bob Gilbertson as I thought, but rather to NHRA.COM's 2005 Photo Gallery main web page. You then have to click on the sub-category Funny Cars, and then it lists all the drivers names to choose from. Bob Gilbertson and Terry Haddock who is listed right after Bob, both have pics of Camaro bodied funny cars in the 2005photo gallery. By 2005, all the higher funded racers had the newer & slicker Monte Carlo body, but these two independent racers didn't have them.

I looked back in prior years on NHRA's site, and the photo gallery's only go back to year 2001, and the links to those years are below:

Year 2001
(You will find Camaro bodied funny cars for Jim Epler, Chuck Etchells Bob Gilbertson, Ron Capps & TJ Jr.)

Year 2002
(You will find Camaro bodied funny cars for Todd Paton, Louis Sweet, Ron Capps & TJ Jr.)

Year 2003
(You will find Camaro bodied funny cars for Bob Gilbertson, Tony Pedregon, Louis Sweet, Ron Capps & TJ Jr.)

Year 2004
(You will find Camaro bodied funny cars for Tony Pedregon, Jack Wyatt, and Stephen Neese)

Hope you enjoy viewing some of the LAST Camaro bodied funny cars...until the new one appears in 2008 or 2009.

It's Official!!!!

New Camaro Gets Production Green Light
Written by: News Wire Traverse City, Mich. – 8/10/2006

GM president Rick Wagoner poses with the Camaro concept.

GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner announced today that GM will build an all-new version of the Chevrolet Camaro sport coupe based on the concept displayed at the North American International Auto Show.

“The overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to the Camaro Concept continues to remind me of the uniquely iconic place our products can have in customers’ hearts,” Wagoner said. “Camaro is much more than a car; it symbolizes America's spirit and its love affair with the automobile.”

The all-new Camaro will begin with early production versions at the end of 2008 and will go on sale in the first quarter of 2009.

“The new Camaro will be almost identical to the concept, a thoroughly modern interpretation of the 1969 model, considered by many to be the best design of the car’s first generation,” said Ed Welburn, GM's global vice president of design, who owns a 1969 Camaro SS. The front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport coupe will feature an independent rear suspension, and will be offered in a variety of models with the choice of manual and automatic transmissions and V-6 and V-8 engines.

Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper said the new Camaro will appeal to both men and women, and unite customers with fond memories of previous Camaros with those who first experienced a Camaro when the concept was unveiled in January.

“We intend to make the all-new Camaro relevant to younger buyers while retaining its appeal to current fans,” said Peper. “The beauty of the best Camaros is that they have always been beautiful to look at with performance that rivals expensive European GTs. Yet they were practical enough to drive every day and priced within the reach of many new-car buyers.”

Peper said the Camaro will complement Chevy’s already-popular portfolio of performance vehicles led by Corvette and including its broad SS lineup.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back