Chevrolet to start the reproduction of the Camaro (1 Viewer)

1) I own a 05 Stang, with the six and a 5spd... I have Probs trying not to light the back tires... and she's at a buck ten, top of third gear at the end of a on ramp... First Colonial heading toward Norfolk... Kelly R can tell ya about that on ramp... call it a thousand foot pass...

I know it well!!! I use it often, but the best is always right after getting the car tuned up. My mechanic was on South Birdneck until just last week. I'd come back up to Laskin and hit that ramp and really get into it. And only have a 3.4L 95 Pontiac.:D :eek:

Since there's no such thing as Plymouth anymore it's the Dodge for me...and I'm a Chevy guy! I missed out on the 425 Horse Hemi the first time around, but NOT the second. Also due in 2008!

And I smile when I think I only paid $19,000 for my stang. So it has a six, still has more ponys than I can use on the street... and it gets over 32 on a road trip... when I can keep my 90 pound right foot out of it, gets 22 round town... my prob is keeping rubber on the rear... tourquey lil witch :D

And I smile when I think I only paid $19,000 for my stang. So it has a six, still has more ponys than I can use on the street... and it gets over 32 on a road trip... when I can keep my 90 pound right foot out of it, gets 22 round town... my prob is keeping rubber on the rear... tourquey lil witch :D

Do you ever go to Genroes on Independence? Some of those folks have taken their cruise in to Red Mill Commons out here near Dam Neck. We went to Handell's for ice cream Saturday night, and low and behold, the lot was full of restored beauties. Only two were trailer queens.

Ugly cars! When will they design a RETRO car that looks like the original? The Cuda needs steel bumpers to make it look better none of that plastic crap and then over charge us a mint. :confused:

Nope, been working Friday/Saturday Night (every Fri/Sat) for the last 6 years... Seriously, stop at Pinboys at Hilltop, and I'll buy you and your other half a shot o Jager... and you can meet Kat and my kids... (they all work there)

Now Doumars back in the eighties (and late 70's) now that was fun... car hops on roller skates, great burgers... :)

Ugly cars! When will they design a RETRO car that looks like the original? The Cuda needs steel bumpers to make it look better none of that plastic crap and then over charge us a mint. :confused:

Steve,
You're right, that drawing of the 'Cuda looks way too much like Big John Mazmanian's '71 Flopper, and my Stang looks way too much like M/T's 70 Mustang that Larry Fullerton drove... and no, you couldn't check a box on an order form back then and get color keyed bumpers...

I just dreamed that all

I am a Chevy guy through and through. I think Ford hit a home run and Chrysler will to with the Challenger. Those two stayed close to the original that sells for tons of money at auctions and this is the best GM can do? I hate to say it but the Camaro Concept car is BUTT ugly. If GM would have come close to the old 69 styling, put the LS1 in it, a 6 speed and a 12 bolt they would fly out the door, at least to mine<g>

I would love to get a nice new Camaro but if thats what it looks like Ford or Chrysler will get my fun money. If the price of the GTO is any indication what the Camaro will go for, the(Camaro) will probably be discontinued quickly also.

My .02
Bob

The camaro looks like GM went thru Dodge's trash can and found some rejected drawings.:eek: I rented a tang when we flew into Pomona for the race in Feb., nice ride. :) Waiting for the challenger to see what it really looks and runs like.

Dude! It is the El Camino of hairstyles! Business in the front- Party in the back! Only allowed to be worn by REAL men (or women) :D
Daaaamn! That's the best description of a mullet I've ever heard. Business in the front, party in the back. That is hilarious! :D

Karl, remember that cat that sang that country song My Achy Breaky Heart? I don't know what his name is, but he used to have a mullet haircut. :p

FWIW, the pictures do not do the Camaro justice. Seeing it in person, the car is simply stunning. The silhouette is pure '69 Camaro. However, it's not a regurgitation of a 40-year-old car. The concept has the 364ci LS2 V8 currently found in the GTO and base model Corvette. It rolls on a fully independent suspension. If 75% of what's in the concept makes it to production, the Camaro will be a world beater. Rumors persist that an LS7 powered model may see production. IMHO, I doubt you'll see any GM product that shares the same motor as top of the line Corvette... well... unless the long rumored "Blue Devil" Corvette ever sees the light of day. Here's some shots I took on the Hot Rod Power Tour and some from LS1Tech.com

3/4 Front view
Interior
LS2
Close up of the gas cap
Close up of rear bumper

Front suspension courtesy of LS1Tech
Rear suspension courtesy of LS1Tech

P.S. Thought this one might be interesting. It's GM's original full size, clay model concept. It shows the 2 front end looks that GM considered for the Camaro. The concept shows which one they went with.

Last edited:
2) what the heck is a mullett? :confused:
Karl, this is Mr. Mullet from mulletmadness.com :D
mr-mullet.jpg

To me the 1/4 panels on the Camaro look like the Mustang.The Challenger looks closest to the original car,but it will be wider.Mopar will need to price the car accordingly,or it will be a low sell vehicle.The 'Cuda ain't a happenin'.

To me the 1/4 panels on the Camaro look like the Mustang.The Challenger looks closest to the original car,but it will be wider.Mopar will need to price the car accordingly,or it will be a low sell vehicle.The 'Cuda ain't a happenin'.

Comments from the DM/Chrysler team stated the following changes to the production Challenger:
- bottom side of the car will not "tuck under" like it does on the concept & original Challengers. Car will be more slab-sided like the Charger/300C

-A pillar will not be raked quite so much - again more vertical like the Charger/300C

Will be interesting to see what these changes to the car's look.

Jon, I think I read that the engine is modeled after the Corvette engine, too.
I'm not a Corvette fan, but I do like those sleek new headlights on the '06 model.

Shan, you must be new to drag racing. It's really only been a few years (2003-2004) since the Monte Carlo was made the body of choice for ALL GM teams. Prior to 2004 everyone that had GM affiliation ran either a Camaro or Firebird body on their Funny Cars, and it has been even more recent that the Alcohol bodied funnies got the Monte Carlo body. They still ran Camaro's and Firebirds (some still do) as the Nitro Funny Car version of the Monte Carlo was not suitable aerodynamically for Top Alcohol since they don't and can't use the extreme downforce that the Nitro cars need. Prior to 2004, there were tons of Camaro bodied funnies, although the Firebird seemed to be the body of choice out of the two pony cars.

As far as the new Camaro concept, it doesn't bowl me over like the new Mustang did, or the new Challenger. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out as others have suggested. I may not like the looks of the new Challenger based on the changes that someone already mentioned will be made. I agree with everyone else about price, though. If GM and Chrysler can't keep the price under $30,000 for a V-8 version of these new cars, then they won't grab even part of the market that Mustang owns all to itself right now. I'm hearing of a very big redesign on the new Mustang coming up in the 2008-2009 model year and if Ford messes up the looks, then GM and Daimler/Chrysler might have a chance. But not if they overprice the cars.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back