Drunks In The Stands (1 Viewer)

I just always hope that those drunks in the stands and in the pits don't become drunks on the road.

Hi, Jerry! Good to see you around!

They're just as bad as the people that feel that they have to stand up for every run,these fans ruin a day at the races for everyone.

They're just as bad as the people that feel that they have to stand up for every run,these fans ruin a day at the races for everyone.

:mad: GRRRR... I'm sorry, if there was some place that had elevation to be able to see all the way from start to finish for those that want to stand, we'd all be better off, because as one of those fans that enjoys standing to watch the races, I do feel for the folks that sit behind me, but there are no other options, usually because there are also people standing in front of ME..

There isn't enough fence space for half the crowd to stand at it- and I've not seen one track that has a "Seated" section and "Standing" section... If we can buy Reserved seats, why isn't "Up or Down" an option as well? How about a polite Good Neighbor policy that if asked to sit, try and swap seats with someone else in a standing area that also chooses to sit...

Sorry Scott, but there is no happiness for anyone on this sore subject, but standing fans DO NOT ruin a day at the races for everyone, unlike the obnoxious drunk.

:mad: GRRRR... I'm sorry, if there was some place that had elevation to be able to see all the way from start to finish for those that want to stand, we'd all be better off, because as one of those fans that enjoys standing to watch the races, I do feel for the folks that sit behind me, but there are no other options, usually because there are also people standing in front of ME..

There isn't enough fence space for half the crowd to stand at it- and I've not seen one track that has a "Seated" section and "Standing" section... If we can buy Reserved seats, why isn't "Up or Down" an option as well? How about a polite Good Neighbor policy that if asked to sit, try and swap seats with someone else in a standing area that also chooses to sit...

Sorry Scott, but there is no happiness for anyone on this sore subject, but standing fans DO NOT ruin a day at the races for everyone, unlike the obnoxious drunk.

Not to mention that they're called "stands." :D

My wife will never attend a NHRA drag race again because of these people. Why can't they figure out, if everyone stays seated, you have the same view as you do standing up?

Don't tell anyone else about this, but if you can make friends with a sportsman racer who is at a national event by himself and give him a little financial assistance, you possibly could get a crew pass with a PA-1 label.
Sportman teams used to be able to get driver and five limited access passes. It is now driver and one pass. Your new friend will have to take you to the Credentials trailer and sign you up as a crew member. You will sign a waiver giving up any rights should you be injured or killed at the starting line.
But . . . you can wander through the staging lanes and stand very close to the line next to drivers, sponsors and team owners! You won't get to see cars at speed down track, but you will see teams up close and feel the ground shake!
NHRA security constantly checks for valid PA-1 stickers - if you have one, you have the same starting line viewing rights as a pro team member.
Beats the hell out of sitting in the stands with the drunks! - :cool:

Why can't they figure out, if everyone stays seated, you have the same view as you do standing up?

I'd like to make a toast - to NHRA for creating the Top Eliminator Club seats!
When I lived in Dallas, I'd only sit in those seats at the Motorplex. Unobstructed view from the waterbox to the sandtrap. Plus a backrest! Highly, highly recommended.

I'd like to make a toast - to NHRA for creating the Top Eliminator Club seats!
When I lived in Dallas, I'd only sit in those seats at the Motorplex. Unobstructed view from the waterbox to the sandtrap. Plus a backrest! Highly, highly recommended.

I rememeber going to the Motoplex the first year they opened. The Top Eliminator Club seats were fantastic. It was a great event if I am remembering correctly. Never had to stand to see it all. I wonder what happened to the all the pictures I took from there???

Calif has a law that states a bartender cannot "knowingly" serve an intoxicated person. Don't know if that can be used at the drags. But it will only take one time for an intoxicated (and it doesn't take much) fan to become involved in a traffic accident after leaving the drags and then sue the NHRA for serving him the beer. As much as I like beer, maybe it's time to remove it from the consession stands. Again, a few idiots screw it up for everyone.

Since none of my family drinks at all, we'll never understand the drunks in the stands or anywhere else for that matter but I'm aware that they all drive home and that scares me to death.

I do have a strong opinion about those who stand. Being 6' 4" tall and 250 lbs I try to never stand in the bleachers, even when others do, because I block more of the other's views than a normal person. My three sons are all as big or taller and they show the same courtesy until it comes time to make a point.
You see, when the guy immediately next to me is the perennial stander he either partially blocks out our view up or down track but for some reason, he can't understand how annoying it is until we rise and do the same and we completely ruin his view the other way. At this point, we can usually strike a deal to all stay seated. Of course, when they are drunk, please refer back to the first sentence.

Don't you need to clean up the drunks that are part of the show before you you can clean up the drunks that pay to watch the show?

Last edited:
My wife will never attend a NHRA drag race again because of these people. Why can't they figure out, if everyone stays seated, you have the same view as you do standing up?

J.C. you need to go to Chi-town or Vegas. The Stands are angled at such you don't Need to stand up. And very few do.

For my next national event, I will be taking 2 of these:
looky_periscope_LRG.jpg

Problem solved.:p

For my next national event, I will be taking 2 of these:
looky_periscope_LRG.jpg

Problem solved.
Maybe they should include those with each ticket purshased... Along with a free ticket to the next years event...;)
NOTHING WORKS!!
:mad:
I've tried everything, excluding violence of course...:)
But it is real hard to hold back... ARGH!!

So these types of behavior aren't just a Virginia thing? That makes me really sad. I guess you can run but you can't hide. Does anyone have any experience staying trackside in an RV. Those folks seemed to have a good vantage point at VMSP, but the grass always looks greener.

at a place like Gainesville, if you're seated in the first row you really can't see very well. the wall is in the way. So they stand , and it's a domino effect all the way back. I don't blame the fans, I blame the track. Prior to this year, the only good place to watch was Top Eliminator. Now , there's another stand on the Spectator side that is angled. It'll be awesome.

As far as drinking , I started going to the drags again back in 97 after 17 years of not going. I didn't even think about beer. I think I read on here a few years ago that they don't serve beer. I thought, oh, yah, I guess not.

Hadn't even occurred to me. And I'm about to go pour a pint of Guiness...so I likes my beer.....but man. When I 'm at the drags, WHAT ELSE IS THERE.

So these types of behavior aren't just a Virginia thing? That makes me really sad. I guess you can run but you can't hide. Does anyone have any experience staying trackside in an RV. Those folks seemed to have a good vantage point at VMSP, but the grass always looks greener.

The worst part about standing up to see around the standing up guy is finding a safe place to set your beer down so it doesn't get knocked over.

We've been trackside in an RV at Firebird for many years. 900 ft. down track and right on the fence. It doesn't get much better than that.

Now if our neighbors would quit standing up on their RV......

I don't know who would ever expect the standing thing to end. Like was just said, "domino effect." Wouldn't it be worse if it were boring enough that nobody WANTED to stand? Then they WOULD be called "sits." :D As soon as that person on the bottom row at the end does it, everyone else has to follow. Someone just keep THAT person down! :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back