In the stands today at the Texas Motorplex (1 Viewer)

When I first started reading your post I thought I was back at Englishtown...we had Leroy, Dontrell and Jamequah..betting $$$ on every round, every division...had to stand up as soon as the tree went green :mad: OMG...I couldn't take it anymore and 1-2-3 we all yelled sit your @$$e$ down!!! They were a bit rude for awhile but took the hint and decided to move on.

I didn't pay $40 to watch betting...:D

I think I sat next to Leroy, Dontrell and Jamequah at Memphis & Madison. These guys must make the rounds!
I consider myself an easy going guy, but I would've had to speak up about the umbrella thing. We did that at Memphis years ago at the brutally hot May race, but we were on the very top row & wire tied the umbrella high on top of the fence.

I personally like to be at the top at Joliet. It is a long haul up there. But, when you want to stand up to stretch your legs you can. Or when I have gone to Pacific Raceways, we like to sit at the end of one of the bleechers. That can help too.

Your experience of the jumpers (you hit it in the head) is why we years ago paid up the bucks and went to the Super Seats on the pit side. No standing except under an unusual happening, direct view of the track, great view of the cars coming to the line and all the groupies. ;) We have had these seats for about 10 years and unfortunately this is my last year, as I am retiring and have to watch the budget. We will still go on Fridays, but not anti up $700-800 six months in advance to guarantee our seats. I want those interest $$ now, not giving them to Billy! :D

When I first started reading your post I thought I was back at Englishtown...we had Leroy, Dontrell and Jamequah..betting $$$ on every round, every division...had to stand up as soon as the tree went green
I think I was sitting behind these same "gentlemen" at Pomona a few years back...

We did that at Memphis years ago at the brutally hot May race, but we were on the very top row & wire tied the umbrella high on top of the fence.

If you were seated by the starting line on the very end of the top row on the spectator side, that may have been my life you saved. Someone wired an umbrella there that I got under whenever they left the stands. I don't know if I would made it without that little bit of shade every now and then.

Did anyone happen to catch the Whit Bazemore fan in the crowd at the end of the NHRA Today show? I'm suprised as PC as the show is they even showed it.

Good point, Kenneth. Another option is to get a pit-side hospitality pass and more or less stay in there all weekend. At some tracks (like Denver), you can foller' your favorite team all the way down the staging lanes, watch them run... and be back as they're coming back from the scales.

Last edited:
I love hanging out with the Wannabe's... at just a tad under 6 ft, I look like a shrimp in the ocean... The great thing about these big guys is that they wouldn't intentionally start anything with anyone. Just good people!

BTW, I got to see the Buzzz and the Slant Eyed Fish Heads on Friday night at the West Coast Hot Rods race... That man nailed "Seek and Destroy" by Metallica, which is not an easy one for sure! It was a great time.

Hey Travis, that guy giving play by play is probably my uncle calling me giving me updates as I was suppossed to be there today, but had an unexpected "accident" last night while putting chlorine in the pool!:eek: I got a "lung full" of chlorine gas straight to the face and can hardly breathe today, so I am pretty pissed at myself that I had to miss todays action.:mad::eek:

Hey Travis, that guy giving play by play is probably my uncle calling me giving me updates as I was suppossed to be there today, but had an unexpected "accident" last night while putting chlorine in the pool!:eek: I got a "lung full" of chlorine gas straight to the face and can hardly breathe today, so I am pretty pissed at myself that I had to miss todays action.:mad::eek:

That's what the Audiocast is for......:)

Take care of yourself - that's scary.

Mark, I watched the show. But, what is my memory failing on me now? ;)

Some goober in the back of the crowd held up a sign that read WHIT'S A CRYBABY- that's if my memory is not failing me! I was kind of leary about mentioning it at first because I didn't want everybody thinking I was on the Whit bashwagon. ;)

Travis:

Your experience today is very similar to the one I had at the Gators this year on Saturday. Sad that a few self-centered ignorant people can ruin the day for so many others. In addition to having idiots around us in the stands, we also had them in the parking lot when we were trying to tailgate. Next year we are going to try the Top Eliminator Club for the first time. Kinda' pricey, but I am hoping the "neighbors" will be civil.
you won't be sorry. The people in TEC are hardcore and are there to watch the race.

you won't be sorry. The people in TEC are hardcore and are there to watch the race.

I second that Bob. We do the TEC in Topeka and while it is pricey indeed, my pals and I believe the food, great seats & parking are worth the extra bucks. Plus we see the same regulars every year. Up until this year we had the same usher who wouldn't let anybody stand in our way to block our view. They had a new kid this year & we had to break him right.

Since watching the backs of everyone's heads at Pomona top-end in 1990, I've always done TEC on my NHRA trips. $325 for 4 days of the world's best drag racing, great seat, food & drink, surrounded by nice people ... Expensive? You're kidding. Has to be the best bargain in sports.

I agree I went to Memphis last year and we had the jumpers. Well I decided to pay the extra for the super seats at Texas it was pretty good on Friday not very many people. Then Sat was horrible couldnt see people would'nt sit down and they watched every race not just the fuel cars. What suprised me about Texas is I never really saw the mad dash from the stands in between the fuel and sportsman. All I really wanted to watch were the ProMods but that was'nt going to happen as I also had Bob Frey next to me telling everyone around him that the Force daughters were going to run Pro Mod next year, annoying with all the information out there how can you not know what is going on. I am starting to think that you have to drop thousands on a suite....

We will only spectate at Indy if we have the TEC seats. It really is a bargain, if you break it down. Great seats, no standing to see, go down below to the tent when you need to cool off and watch the TV monitors, continental breakfast in the morning and a really good lunch every afternoon, coolers of ice tea & lemonade going all day, and for a few bucks more you can park very close by. If I have any gripe, it's not price, it's the fact that I wish the seats were spread out a little more, but other than that, the TEC is THE best deal going.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back