Drunks In The Stands (1 Viewer)

Notice everyone complains how expensive Beer is at the Track ($6-7 per) yet people still get trashed. Can you imagine how problematic it would be at $3-4 per beer? Gainesville and E-Town have No Beer sales at all, and while that sucks for me personally, it does make for a much more Family friendly environment. I've been to G-Ville 6 times and haven't seen a Fight yet!

Firebird actually has a beer stand in the middle of the nitro pits; hopefully one of those idiots doesn't get run over in the pits and sue; that's the kind of thing that could close the pits to the public.

Talk about unruly, we were leaving the '64 Nationals on the east side of the track and people from the upper level were throwing bottles at the fans in the lower level. Unreal!

I see two problems with this:
First -- Who's driving these clowns home? Who's going to die because of them.

Second -- Why do I have to apologize to my family, women and children all day for their behavior and language? My only fault is buying seats surrounded by a bunch of folks who seem like they just tasted liquor for the first time and can't control their intake.

Prior to their killing our friends and family on the road home however, they can, at times, provide a measure of entertainment. Paul, Buzzz and I got to hear about the vastly superior Toyota 500 inch Top Fuel Motor that Scott Kalitta was running. Our wavering informer went on to tell us all that this Top Fuel Toyota power plant is also in his pickup in the parking lot? Who knew. When they called Comp to the lanes he proudly proclaimed that Pro Street was next up! He went on to make it clear that Pro Stock had a 568 cubic inch limit! Wow, is my rule book out of date! His stellar information flowed for one entire Pro session.
This lush was entertaining - almost to the point that I could stand being near him -- no, not that good.

I love when they get so drunk they make no sense like that. My fav was a few years ago at Etown, I was sitting at the thousand ft mark in the stands and they gamble down there. One drunk is throwin $5 on this race, $2 on that one, and so on. They're running pro stock at this time. The announcer comments that he thinks Alan Johnson is gonna make Schumacher go 4.50 next round. All this guy hears is "Johnson" and "4.50". Too drunk to think for himself, he thinks he's hearing God predicting Warren Johnson's next record setting run and proceeds to make a $20 bet that WJ's gonna run 4.50!, Well I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. What a disappointment for him whaen I won his money b/c WJ went about 2 and 1/2 seconds too slow....

There's idiots everywhere... certainly not just at racetracks. My favorite though is the morons who need to peel out in thier pickup trucks as they're waiting in line, exiting the track after a long day of beer drinking & sunburns. Not only do they honk thier horn, flip everyone off in the parking lot and don't let anyone cut in line..... but once they get onto the pavement they need to rev thier motor & squeel the tires.... only to slam on the brakes so they don't rear end the family in the car in front of them...........MAN those guys are COOOOOL!

Not as cool as the guys with the beer guts, shirt off but still look like they're wearing a sweater, hubcap sized belt buckle, "Powered by Beer" hat, rubbing their bellies and saying to every girl who walks by "yeah, you want some of this prime beef mama??". Yeah, THAT'S coolness!

nascarbackhair.jpg

I've been to enough races across the country to know some places are worst than others. That's why I usually scour the facility prior to any runs to find a place to sit in the "no alcohol zone".

I'm like Joe in the fact I like my beer. But I try to make sure to keep it low key. Try.:)

Oh good gravy - I certainly have a fondness for beer as well. But in reality, I don't drink at the track at all when the PowerADE tour hits town. The Hospitality area doesn't allow it, and besides, that weekend is like the frickin Super Bowl, Christmas and Birthday for me all wrapped into one. The smell of Nitro and being with all my friends is good enough - I don't need beer to get me high!

I remember the "good ole days" in Brainerd, when it wasn't unusual to walk up to the grandstands from the first turn camp area, and find people in the stands down by the finish line, keg in a trash can, already half passed out before the first pro sessions had even run. Me? Even though I loved my juice, I had waited too long for the race, and paid too much money for my tickets to spend most of my time at the track passed out.

Now there is the answer! I know some people can control their intake but all are going to get in their cars and drive home!

Carol

He says if anyone ever slips by them and is already drunk and runs into someone, on a return road for example, it's going to be tricky enough as it is. If the track ALLOWS consumption on the property, that's just a liability case waiting to happen.

Haven't had any encounters yet, but it is in the back of my mind everytime I'm out there.
For sure without fail, "loud" drunk and his equally loud/drunk friend are at the fence having a good ole:rolleyes: time.

Cigarsmoking guy sits upwind from me sometimes.

The ones that get me are the ones that are coming back from the concession stands with pizzas, hot dogs, churros, powerade, snow cones, cotton candy, goodies,
and don't share with me!!!!!!:p

Prior to their killing our friends and family on the road home however, they can, at times, provide a measure of entertainment. Paul, Buzzz and I got to hear about the vastly superior Toyota 500 inch Top Fuel Motor that Scott Kalitta was running. Our wavering informer went on to tell us all that this Top Fuel Toyota power plant is also in his pickup in the parking lot? Who knew. When they called Comp to the lanes he proudly proclaimed that Pro Street was next up! He went on to make it clear that Pro Stock had a 568 cubic inch limit! Wow, is my rule book out of date! His stellar information flowed for one entire Pro session.
This lush was entertaining - almost to the point that I could stand being near him -- no, not that good.

LOL. I love it Doc. I have witnessed the same type of thing and kind of got a kick out of it. I wish I could remember what this particular "know it all" said but it was mostly who was who's crew chief and such and he was about 80% incorrect. Too funny. But he sure was edjumacating his friend about NHRA!! :D :eek:

I've been to enough races across the country to know some places are worst than others. That's why I usually scour the facility prior to any runs to find a place to sit in the "no alcohol zone".

I'm like Joe in the fact I like my beer. But I try to make sure to keep it low key. Try.:)

I agree, Chris definitely likes Her Beer, LOL! Seriously it can get comical to hear some of these guys when they get 3 sheets in the wind. I've heard guys tell me that after final eliminations, the Comp winner will face off with the Pro stock winner. And just like Bobby Miller said; How some guys car in the Parking lot run's 8's!

And then you have the Newbies who think the Alcohol cars are different Top Fuelers!

Last edited:
My brother went to the a race in Vegas last year, and I couldn't believe it when he showed me a picture of him having a beer in the stands! I couldn't believe you could drink at the races!!
Here in Aus, all 'big' races are alcohol free, and the only time you can drink is after the racing has finished, and its BYO. We don't seem to have any problems with drunkeness.

Aren't a majority of NASCAR fans there to party and the race is secondary? It looks like one big drunkfest over at those races.

My drinking days are long over, so I'm kinda neutral on this one. I would be concerned that a large? percentage of "fans" might avoid paying big bucks to attend an NHRA race if they couldn't drink themselves to oblivion at the race?

At Arizona Cardinals home games, you can only purchase 2 beers at a time and the beer stands close, I believe, at the end of the 3rd quarter. I've only been to a couple of games, but don't recall any drunks in the stands.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back