the Brainerd experience (1 Viewer)

FC138fan

Nitro Member
I've only been going to Brainerd for the past 9 years but it seems that BIR has much impoved since the days of the Colonel... Now post a responce if you disagree, but heres my two cents..

Sat. night.. the fireworks show was the best I've ever seen there, better then even the Zambelli's pride and joy in Pittsburgh on the 4th of July. Those exploding gas barrels were insane!

The ZOO.. the police and security presence was everywhere, but they seemed less strict (confirmed by a young group of drunks as we drove around the zoo on their lawnchair trailer - let em breathe!). I didn't see any.. but they were apparently aplenty -

The family camping.. its like they doubled the size of that area! We partied hard Friday night, decided to sit out Sat, and had a good time discussing the races with these Canadian and Dutch dudes. As it should be.. go to the zoo to party.. go to family to relax. There were no dirt roads in the family area too, cut down significantly the dust (even though we still got a good coating sat night)

The return road.. paved last year.. I thought big deal, but what a nice touch.. simple addition that adds alot.

The start.. last year they had jersey barriers lining the start.. therefore half the cars in the near lane were covered, and the headers were coverd as well.. cut down on the noise. They must have realized their mistake and cut the jersey barriers at the start, exposing the full car.. much appriciated.

and the FANS... in our area at least.. did not stand when the cars launched.. so everyone could enjoy seeing the full run without seeing the backs of people. (except for the 4 douchebags who stood early on.. but must of overheard us *****ing about them and knocked it off for most of eliminations)

what did you think?

What do I think? I think I have never been to BIR and definitely hope to have a chance to go there someday.

and the FANS... in our area at least.. did not stand when the cars launched.. so everyone could enjoy seeing the full run without seeing the backs of people. (except for the 4 douchebags who stood early on.. but must of overheard us *****ing about them and knocked it off for most of eliminations)

what did you think?

They stayed in their seats in our section (EE) for the most part too. A nice change!

I do miss the video board that used to be behind the starting line across the track from the timing tower. The one board was tough to see from our angle.

Marsha and I had a wonderful time this year. Great weather. Good racing. friendly fans. Even got a souvenir. (Luigi Novelli's blown head gasket. Them mothers are HEAVY.)

Last edited:
I agree. We're still here, packing up and leaving in the morning, which is another big plus of the super week ticket. I've been to quite a few other national events, and of the ones that allow camping on site, none let you stay after the event is over. This allows everyone to enjoy the finals, and not have to worry about packing up, or driving a huge distance in traffic after a full day of sun and possibly drinking. It's by far my favorite event, I've been coming here the last 16 years, and the days of the Colonel were the darkest. I totally agree on the improvments, and the fireworks were the best I've seen and the closest I've been to ever. They were incredible, they filled the entire sky at the end. Fast Jack hanging out of the window on the return road was a perfect example of what changing the return road route gained us. I was sure if he had won, he'd be dancing on the roof the next time by. It was great. No one in our section stood once that I could see, but we're pretty low, row 14, 15, and 16. Can't wait till next year.:)

Last edited:
mark,
i agree with everything you said.
plus for the first time, they had all roads in zoo watered down = way less dust.
what a great weekend.

I didn't watch the race on TV yesterday, was recording the Olympics and the Caveman Tivo can't do both! But I did look at the results on DRC and that was some of the best side by side racing I've seen all year!

And I've decided I couldn't handle Brainerd! I'd get so caught up in the goings on in the Zoo I'd get amnesia and forget where the Dragstrip was!:p;):eek:

mark,
i agree with everything you said.
plus for the first time, they had all roads in zoo watered down = way less dust.
what a great weekend.

How was the zoo area with all the road course construction? I haven't heard many comments so it must not of been too bad.

How was the zoo area with all the road course construction? I haven't heard many comments so it must not of been too bad.

i could be wrong, but basically 2 entrances to zoo......over new bridge
that passed over new road course section, and then over by 'bud corner'
and grandstand, actually drive across road course (i think that's the only
location campers came in contact with new paving?
bud corner was moved down (towards zoo) a little; also new roads cut in
back in zoo - where old moto/snowcross track was.
todd, i'd say where you guys camped last year is now the zoo side of bridge.
good view of whole area from bridge too.
it's all good.

I agree. We're still here, packing up and leaving in the morning, which is another big plus of the super week ticket. I've been to quite a few other national events, and of the ones that allow camping on site, none let you stay after the event is over. This allows everyone to enjoy the finals, and not have to worry about packing up, or driving a huge distance in traffic after a full day of sun and possibly drinking. It's by far my favorite event, I've been coming here the last 16 years, and the days of the Colonel were the darkest. I totally agree on the improvments, and the fireworks were the best I've seen and the closest I've been to ever. They were incredible, they filled the entire sky at the end. Fast Jack hanging out of the window on the return road was a perfect example of what changing the return road route gained us. I was sure if he had won, he'd be dancing on the roof the next time by. It was great. No one in our section stood once that I could see, but we're pretty low, row 14, 15, and 16. Can't wait till next year.:)

Hey Mark.........GREAT AVATAR!!!:D

i could be wrong, but basically 2 entrances to zoo......over new bridge
that passed over new road course section, and then over by 'bud corner'
and grandstand, actually drive across road course (i think that's the only
location campers came in contact with new paving?
bud corner was moved down (towards zoo) a little; also new roads cut in
back in zoo - where old moto/snowcross track was.
todd, i'd say where you guys camped last year is now the zoo side of bridge.
good view of whole area from bridge too.
it's all good.

sounds just as good. Thanks for the update.

My only complaint about the facility itself is the stupid a$$ ticket pricing policy they have. I can't think of another venue where you can't buy a Friday only or Saturday only ticket in advance. BIR offers these at the gate only...for $80. Are ya kiddin' me? You can get in at Indy for $60 if you wanted a 1-day ticket. I had a couple friends who decided not to come because they could only come Saturday and didn't want to pay $120 for a 2-day ticket in advance or $80 at the gate.

My only complaint about the facility itself is the stupid a$$ ticket pricing policy they have. I can't think of another venue where you can't buy a Friday only or Saturday only ticket in advance. BIR offers these at the gate only...for $80. Are ya kiddin' me? You can get in at Indy for $60 if you wanted a 1-day ticket. I had a couple friends who decided not to come because they could only come Saturday and didn't want to pay $120 for a 2-day ticket in advance or $80 at the gate.

I agree!

I remember in 1997 or 98 you could buy a Friday only ticket at the gate for 10 bucks. Then they stopped selling Friday tickets and everone complained. After a few years on no "Friday only" tickets they started selling them again but they were 40 or 50 bucks. Now they are 80 bucks like you said..... Stupid!

I think they're worried someone might not leave property after the day is done and watch racing for the rest of the weekend without actually paying for it. Which is completely possible with the security guards they have working the check points. All they care about is the pit vehicle decal..... they never check to see if you have your ticket with you. I could have a golf cart full of "non paying" people with the NHRA pit vehicle decal on the front and they wouldn't look twice.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back