Coaches Top 25 preseason Poll (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

Of Stoops and Brown, from the Austin American Statesman:

Stoops, Brown polar opposites

COMMENTARY: KIRK BOHLS

Stoops, Brown polar opposites
One demands accountability; other pats backs
Click-2-Listen
Friday, October 05, 2007
NORMAN, Okla. — Count up the national championships. Circle the number of All-Americans. Figure up the conference titles, the records, the number of interceptions Chris Simms threw or the touchdown passes that Texas' Roy Williams never caught in this rivalry. Take any measurement you like.

Any comparisons between the overall football programs at Oklahoma and Texas — of late — come down to one monumental difference.

Accountability.

Bob Stoops demands it.

Mack Brown requests it.

OU operates with more of a no-nonsense, no-excuse approach than Texas, and that philosophy starts at the top.

Both head coaches are recruiting the same living rooms, chasing the same blue-chippers, wooing the same moms. They're coaching the same top-level athletes, as evidenced by the 22 All-Americans and 32 NFL draft choices to come out of Norman during Stoops' tenure, and the 27 All-Americans and 33 NFL draft picks to come out of Austin since Brown's arrival at UT. They both have solid staffs, Greg Davis' latest brain lapses notwithstanding, and have sent nine assistants to college head coaching gigs.

They remain the two flagship programs in the Big 12. Stoops has won five games in this series, Mack has won four.

But the two head coaches bring vastly divergent philosophies to the table, and it seems to be a pivotal reason that OU has won four conference titles in Stoops' previous eight seasons, while Texas has won just one in Brown's nine. Stoops calls a spade a spade. Mack calls it an elongated tool for digging soil.

"It's just my nature. I'm pretty matter of fact," Stoops said before insisting he in no way compares himself to Mack. "I'm not much for calling things other than what it is."

Both teams are clear reflections of their head coaches in every sense. The Sooners come off as cocksure sorts, full of bluster and willing to back it up. Recent police blotters aside, the Longhorns have been viewed as goody-two-cleats who play hard and do not want to disappoint their coach or teammates, que sera sera.

"Our coaches are the greatest guys in the world," Longhorns senior center Dallas Griffin said. "We'd love to be a reflection of coach Brown. He's a father figure to a lot of the guys."

But even a father has to spank once in a while. It absolutely devastates Brown to be critical of a player, and Stoops said he prefers to criticize an area of the game rather than specific players.

After OU's shocking loss to Colorado last week, Stoops said his team was "not very smart," his receivers dropped four balls, and his cornerbacks didn't play very well.

Marcus Walker agreed. And he's one of those cornerbacks.

"We're 21, 22 years old," said Walker, a senior. "We've got to be accountable and own up to our mistakes. That's one of the main reasons 80 to 90 percent of the players come here."

Such accountability seeps through on the field, in postgame interviews, in the way the Sooners carry themselves. They take no prisoners. The Longhorns seem to be imprisoned by the fact they want to be nice guys and, consequently, may have become complacent and lost their edge. Texas' players and head coach never articulate a burning, gut-wrenching hatred of losing.

We're still waiting for a Longhorn to do his best Mike Hart impersonation this season, to stand up boldly and defiantly guarantee a win over OU. Worked for James Brown against Nebraska a while back. Senior linebacker Scott Derry, for example, is a fine, upstanding player who said the Texas leaders stood up at the team's Sunday meeting and addressed the rest. And who are those leaders?

"I don't want to mention names," Derry said.

Excuse me. Aren't leaders supposed to be public? When is someone going to step up and take charge of this team?

Derek Lokey adamantly defends his coach's approach and underscores the players' deep-seated respect for Brown.

"The thing you've got to understand about coach Brown is he takes care of the players so well," the Longhorns' defensive tackle said. "Instead of launching a tirade, he can whisper something to you, and it has the same affect. One little whisper opposed to someone who goes crazy and embarrasses a guy. But he's not soft, I guarantee you that. He's a tough ball coach, and he demands results.

"That's how he eats — by winning. He can't be soft and stay here 10 years."

But the very public perception persists of Mack clapping on the sideline. February's Coach has become Coach Clapper. Few would be offended if Brown raised his voice to admonish a player, not to embarrass him, but to correct him. Doing so wouldn't mean he cares about his players less. Football is a violent, contact sport best played by angry people. Darrell Royal used to say as much.

Stoops understands that better and exudes toughness.

Mack exudes class, an excellent attribute but not as relevant during those critical 60 minutes every Saturday.

Stoops' players would run through a brick wall for him. Mack's players have way too much respect for those who took the time and energy to construct the brick wall and, therefore, would look for an alternative route to the other side.

"Coach Stoops has always been one to call it like it is," OU defensive end Auston English said. "We don't sit around here saying, 'What if? What if? What if?' We always find being straightforward to be the best way."

As a result, Stoops' Sooners have won a national championship and played for two others. Mack's Longhorns have won one. Neither is very accustomed to losing, but there's even a difference there.

After losses, Stoops comes off as angry. Mack comes off as, well, confused.

Because he's ticked off, there is even a bit of fear of Stoops among his players.

"Sort of," OU linebacker Lewis Baker said. "But not a bad fear. He just has you on your toes."

Which is better than on your heels.

[email protected]; 445-3772

Hey Tom, to be completely and totally honest...if I were putting money on todays game I would be putting my money on OU and I dont think it will be close either! This years Texas team just isnt the team that it has been in all of the Mack Brown era of football. I personally doubt Mack will coach more than 1 more year after this year.
Although I will still be pulling for my Horns today for an upset!!:D It's not easy here in "LongHorn Nation" to say upset!! Good luck to your Sooners later Tom... I will be missing the game as I coach my son's Pop Warner team at the same time the game is being played...funny thing is that we are playing the LongHorns today and I told the kids this is the ONLY Longhorn team that will lose today:p!!

Hey Tom, to be completely and totally honest...if I were putting money on todays game I would be putting my money on OU and I dont think it will be close either! This years Texas team just isnt the team that it has been in all of the Mack Brown era of football. I personally doubt Mack will coach more than 1 more year after this year.
Although I will still be pulling for my Horns today for an upset!!:D It's not easy here in "LongHorn Nation" to say upset!! Good luck to your Sooners later Tom... I will be missing the game as I coach my son's Pop Warner team at the same time the game is being played...funny thing is that we are playing the LongHorns today and I told the kids this is the ONLY Longhorn team that will lose today:p!!

Cool, man. Good luck to you today as well. We both know that there's rarely a true favorite in this game but it does make for some fun smack-talk once a year, doesn't it?

Boomer Sooner!

Last edited:
Holy $hit did Notre Dame just win a game?!?!?!?!?! :D:D :D:D

the celebration is on my friends.....never thought i would be this happy to be 1-5

Whew...... I knew Florida was gonna be a tuff game....but my Tigers battled it out and finally had a little gator for supper!!!! Did ya see when they announced USC had lost in Tiger Stadium.......Priceless!!!:D

:D
Holy $hit did Notre Dame just win a game?!?!?!?!?!

the celebration is on my friends.....never thought i would be this happy to be 1-5

They just reported on CNN that Hell froze over last night!! ;):D

Congrats Mike on the 1st win!!! :) I know how good it feels to finally get that monkey (Gorilla for N.D. and Michigan this year) off your back!

What a wild year in college football. I had a horrible week making my predictions in the pick-em game. I "over thought" each pick this week. I changed quite a few and they're the ones that were wrong. Dumb a$$! These inflated point spreads are the worst part. They screw me everytime!

I can't remeber a year in which the top 10 has changed as often as this year's top 10. It's been entertaining.

Congrats to Gary and Kelly for the big Tiger's win!

USC lost to Stanford??? USC was favored by 40. HAHAHA I love it!! The only thing worse than that would be losing to a 1AA school... Oh wait!:eek:

Sorry about the Huskers Terry. I know that one is gonna hurt. Hang in there Buddy.

Congrats Tom for the big Sooners rivalry win.

Teri ... Congrats to ....:eek: NO WAY I'm sending praises to that team!! :p:D

Whew...... I knew Florida was gonna be a tuff game....but my Tigers battled it out and finally had a little gator for supper!!!! Did ya see when they announced USC had lost in Tiger Stadium.......Priceless!!!:D

That was some ending, no doubt. I still can't believe that Florida coughed up the ball twice when up by 10 in the 2nd half... amazing. Then, at the end of the game before LSU's last score, Florida blew 29 seconds off the clock before calling a time out. I bet they wish they had those 29 seconds back now. I gotta hand it to Les, he's got some cajones and his team made all of the gambles pay off like a broken slot machine.... helluva game!

Wow! I was stuck at a 'posh' restaurant for a friend's 40th bday party. Ah-hem....I disappeared for the last half hour! ;) That was fun! Oh, did I mention 'posh'? I made more noise in that bar in the last 1/2 of the 4th quarter than I think they'd ever heard! lol

USC lost to Stanford??? USC was favored by 40. HAHAHA I love it!! The only thing worse than that would be losing to a 1AA school... Oh wait!:eek:

During the USC game, all the announcers were saying that the USC loss was by far a bigger upset than the Michigan loss due to the fact that App. St. was the 2005 and 2006 1-AA National Champs and that Stanford came in ranked 93 or something like that. Either way, that made my season!!

During the USC game, all the announcers were saying that the USC loss was by far a bigger upset than the Michigan loss due to the fact that App. St. was the 2005 and 2006 1-AA National Champs and that Stanford came in ranked 93 or something like that. Either way, that made my season!!

From purely a betting standpoint I guess they're technically correct, Stanford is the biggest dog to win outright. However I don't believe that there was a line posted for the App. State game. To me the App. State game still ranks as #1 all-time upset.

What a wild year in college football. I had a horrible week making my predictions in the pick-em game. I "over thought" each pick this week. I changed quite a few and they're the ones that were wrong. Dumb a$$! These inflated point spreads are the worst part. They screw me everytime!

I can't remeber a year in which the top 10 has changed as often as this year's top 10. It's been entertaining.

Congrats to Gary and Kelly for the big Tiger's win!

Sorry about the Huskers Terry. I know that one is gonna hurt. Hang in there Buddy.

Congrats Tom for the big Sooners rivalry win.

Teri ... Congrats to ....:eek: NO WAY I'm sending praises to that team!! :p:D

Thanks for the good thoughts, Dave--we simply looked pitiful. Our defense was back to its non-existent self, but we sorta forgot to bring our offense as well. Missouri looked awesome, but the way we played, I'm not sure how good Mizzou is at this point. Gonna give a shout out to Johnny Mopar if he's out there--you are a man of great wisdom--you predicted this early in the season. Congrats to the Tigers. They were certainly the best team sat.
Kudos also to LSU and Michigan and Ohio State and OU. The OU Texas game was a better contest than I anticipated..And let''s not forget the return of the healed leprechaun! Congrats Mike! It was time! You musta found something in that bottle of Captain Morgan. Well, at least things are gonna stay interesting for a while! Go Huskers???

Hellooooooooo from down here below the top 25. My poor ol Huskers just plain sucked against Mizzou. Either Mizzou is a LOT better than anyone realized (which may be a possibility I hope) or things look really bleak for the rest of the season for the Huskers. I'm guessin' our hopes for a BCS berth are kinda over now, huh? Guess it will be me and Mike watchin the rest of the season from down here. Mike, you still got the bottle of Morgan open? Hey, Teri! Buckeyes Rule!!!

Wow do people hate usc.

I was out of town at a wedding sat night. It was a thing of beauty. Wolverines, Buckeyes, Badgers and even Sparties. All cheering when Stanford socred the go ahead TD. There were probably 50 of us crammed around a tv in the bar in the next room.

I was shocked to see Texas, and Geogia stay ranked as well as tenn get ranked with a crap 3-2 record.

it was nice to see Michigan, despite having 10 players miss the game due to injury (and 1 suspension) still get a win. Hopefully they heal up quick.

I can't say congrats for a notre dame win, but becuase Mike is an alright guy I can say that I am happy for him that his team finally won :)

I think so many other teams losing helped.

What was it 5 of the bottom 6 ranked teams all lost week

I can't say congrats for a notre dame win, but becuase Mike is an alright guy I can say that I am happy for him that his team finally won :)

Oh PJ i know that comes from the heart :p

i feels nice to be able to rub it in my USC fan roomate's face.....Stanford? c'mon!!.....hopefully it's not an omen though, since ND has em in about 5 weeks or so

and Terry....it took me bout 3 1/2 bottles (i mean we were 0-5)....i'll send ya the rest :D

None of my USC friends left me any voice mails except for one who reminded that Booty played with a broken finger.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back