Bruton Smith no longer wants to buy NHRA (1 Viewer)

Since Bruton's 77 years old that's not suprising! But Bigger crowds? Has he NOT seen all those empty seats at Bristol every year?

Well I wouldn't put that statement in the bank just yet !

With things being the way they are right now [ he says NHRA is gaining attention ] with the economy it would not make good business sense to buy now but if an offer came his way ?

I can however report that Drag Racing is coming to the famous Smith owned Texas Motor Speedway this summer !

Eddie Gossage has purchased timing equitpment and is for five Friday's having 1/8 mile drag racing in the pit area of the Super Speedway.

For $ 20.00 bucks you can race in one of 4 classes and even get some laps on the oval .
For another $10.00 you can enter a car show with prizes and trophies.

My plains are right now are to do all three July the 3 rd.

I'll post pic's of me and the Hot Rod Vette doing the round thing when I get them done.

If they allow a passenger I plan on taking the grandkids around a lap so they can have memories w/pics !

That's why I like Smith and his group ! They seek out possibilities and you always get a bang for your buck in return.

As much as I like Billy it took years to get him interested in having special Big tire races .
Inovation and paying attention to what the fans want , thats what you do when bucks get hard to come by.

Must be euphoria thinking about having a good time with family and friends !

Oh yeah thats what Drag Racing has always been which is another reason it's so popular on a grass roots level anyway.

As much as I like Billy it took years to get him interested in having special Big tire races .
Inovation and paying attention to what the fans want , thats what you do when bucks get hard to come by.
Oh yeah thats what Drag Racing has always been which is another reason it's so popular on a grass roots level anyway.

I wonder what Billy thinks about that NEW track over at CRANDALL ?? :):):D

they'll have 2 at charlotte and from what ive heard they will only have one race at vegas next yr ,,,,

...i will believe that when i see it. Vegas draws HUGE. Sponsors flock to that place because of 'entertainment value'. Plus the Vegas Market draws more from surrounding states.
Then again...it is NHRA's decision to screw up.

...i will believe that when i see it. Vegas draws HUGE. Sponsors flock to that place because of 'entertainment value'. Plus the Vegas Market draws more from surrounding states.
Then again...it is NHRA's decision to screw up.

Tim, I'm with you there. Not taking anything away from Zmax, but the allure of "the Vegas experience" is much too compelling to take an event from there, IMHO.
Heck, I wouldn't mind if they ran 3 events there.

so nhra is going to give bruton 2 at charlotte and take one away from
him in vegas.............yeah rite. :rolleyes:
some other smaller venue will be on the chopping block.

i would agree with that one..... Vegas is good for the location and the extras in the area.... Z-Max is good for the crowds shown so far and the proximity to the offices of all the corperate sponsors that understand motorsports...

Billy

They shpuld take a race form one of the NHRA owned dumps they race at now.... better yet lets race at all off Brutons tracks twice a year!

If there's anything to the story, I would agree with you on who's going to lose a race.

I'd bet it's a midwestern race since there's a bunch of them in pretty much the same demographic area.

Then again, I don't think anyone is too proud of Phoenix either.

My hunch would be Memphis, Phoenix, and Topeka in that order. The Memphis date would need a schedule change but that never has seemed to be a problem in the past.

Just a thought...

Drop a the world finals in Pomona, drop Vegas II, make the finals in Vegas. That opens a date and gives a big race to Vegas over a lesser track and Pomona gets to keep the Winter Nationals.

This would also let NHRA have the awards in a Vegas venue.

Not saying I like the idea but Pomona can't hold a candle to Vegas as a venue for the finals.

The word I got in Joliet from a Pro Stock driver I know pretty well was the Memphis is history after this year. He told me about the second Charlotte date at the same time so he's pretty well connected.

Just a thought...

Drop a the world finals in Pomona, drop Vegas II, make the finals in Vegas. That opens a date and gives a big race to Vegas over a lesser track and Pomona gets to keep the Winter Nationals.

This would also let NHRA have the awards in a Vegas venue.

Not saying I like the idea but Pomona can't hold a candle to Vegas as a venue for the finals.

I am going to support this idea. I agree with Mr Goodwin as in regards to total fan attendance, Pomona draws FAR MORE than Vegas does...HOWEVER, what if we swapped dates. Go Pomoná, then Vegas Divisional then Finals at 'the strip'. Awards dinner at a place like 'the Hollywood theater' at the MGM Grand on the other strip...yeah...I COULD DIG THAT. I would tell you this, there would be one HELL OF A PARTY MONDAY AFTER THE AWARDS SHOW.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back