JR Todd to Kenny Bernstein Racing (1 Viewer)

Another one from the Anheuser-Busch stable maybe?

jrtoddlr.jpg

If its bogus, why did Geiger bring it up at all? Why create a domino effect for Bernstein - JR Todd - Dexter Tuttle - Alan Bradshaw - Bill Miller - Troy Buff?

Is this poor reporting or letting the cat out of the bag too early? I thought Geiger didn't want to "do the rumor thing"?

If its bogus, why did Geiger bring it up at all? Why create a domino effect for Bernstein - JR Todd - Dexter Tuttle - Alan Bradshaw - Bill Miller - Troy Buff?

Is this poor reporting or letting the cat out of the bag too early? I thought Geiger didn't want to "do the rumor thing"?
Don't forget Poynter- ;)

The rest of your post is spot on Stan- :)

BTW- I think G redlit- :eek:

I will have Geiger's back here. He would say it (TWICE) if he didnt have a good resource.

J.R. is talking to a lot of people, nothing is final, and rumors about his future already being settled hurt his chances to find a good ride.

It's bogus.

J.R. had a face-to-face with Geiger Saturday to find out why he ran the rumor, KB called Geiger to find out why he ran the rumor, both deny that its true.

Scoop may have scooped from the wrong end of the litter box on this one.

Last edited:
J.R. is talking to a lot of people, nothing is final, and rumors about his future already being settled hurt his chances to find a good ride.

It's bogus.

J.R. had a face-to-face with Geiger Saturday to find out why he ran the rumor, KB called Geiger to find out why he ran the rumor, both deny that its true.

Scoop may have scooped from the wrong end of the litter box on this one.
Didn't Scoop come on here just a short while back and claim that the reason they held off on reporting things that DRO and CompPlus might print is to make sure they're accurate before they run it on their site? It sure looks like he didn't follow his own claim. :rolleyes:

Didn't Scoop come on here just a short while back and claim that the reason they held off on reporting things that DRO and CompPlus might print is to make sure they're accurate before they run it on their site? It sure looks like he didn't follow his own claim. :rolleyes:
I was right. Since I'm bothered by how all this went down I did a little digging and look what I found: http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/9070-holy-crap-big-changes-chumacher-racing.html
Justin,
One of the first things we talked about when I joined NHRA was the fact I didn't want to do the rumor thing. Sure it's fun. Sure enough, if you throw enough @#$%^ at the wall, something will stick and you'll look like a genuis. But most of the time you're risking screwing something up big time for someone. It isn't worth dropping someone in the grease to be first or possibly nixing a sponsorship deal because information was leaked. I'd rather be right than first.

Have fun with the other sites. If you want the truth, go to NHRA.com. That's the way I look at it.
Regards,
Rob

Bobby's site and the others do great work on a number of fronts. I'm talking specifically about rumors. As the website of the sanctioning body, we're just very careful with all that we report. It's much more important for us to have it right than to have it first.

Take the Neff-to-Force deal. We had that quite awhile back but JF asked us to wait because he needed to clear the decision with Ford and his other sponsors as well as Don Schumacher. Had we run the story the moment we heard it, perhaps Zippy would never have recieved an official offer because someone decided to pull the plug due to incorrect leaked information. I don't feel comfortable potentially changing someone's life like that. Besides, it wasn't a done deal.

Even after Force, Neff, and Shoe all talked about it on ESPN2 live, we still respected Force's request that we wait until his PR guy sent us the official word. It's just the way we do business.

Like I said, rumors are fun. Heck, that's just about all we talk about all day long at the racetrack. But as a reporter, I'll wait until it's fact before I write the story. That's just the way we operate.
RG

So if you take all these precautions and supposedly wait to make sure everything is right before it's reported what went so wrong here?

Originally Posted by Rob Geiger
Justin,
One of the first things we talked about when I joined NHRA was the fact I didn't want to do the rumor thing. Sure it's fun. Sure enough, if you throw enough @#$%^ at the wall, something will stick and you'll look like a genuis. But most of the time you're risking screwing something up big time for someone. It isn't worth dropping someone in the grease to be first or possibly nixing a sponsorship deal because information was leaked. I'd rather be right than first.

Have fun with the other sites. If you want the truth, go to NHRA.com. That's the way I look at it.
Regards,
Rob

I am the guy he is replying to in the quote above, but IF he did screw up, so be it... I think we have all done it...

So if you take all these precautions and supposedly wait to make sure everything is right before it's reported what went so wrong here?
Brent, let's not be too hard on the guy. Hopefully he'll come around after it's all said and done and tell us what happened. I suspect someone that was a previously unimpeachable source for him just became impeachable.

Everything I wrote was accurate, it remains accurate, and that's the end of it. Larry Sullivan never, ever leaves the pressroom so throw out whatever he says. I doubt he knows what Kenny Bernstein looks like.

I'm not going to burn the people involved in this deal because I promised them I wouldn't and I live in this world full-time. I spoke with J.R. about a lot of things, on several occasions, this weekend. I spoke with Kenny and added the second report just as he asked it to be written. He was down with everything I wrote. I spoke with Mario Todd, J.R.'s dad. It's all good.

Sorry, I still don't do the rumor thing. I know what I heard from the correct people -- from their mouths to my ears with no one else around. I slept great all weekend.

Everything I wrote was accurate, it remains accurate, and that's the end of it. Larry Sullivan never, ever leaves the pressroom so throw out whatever he says. I doubt he knows what Kenny Bernstein looks like.

I'm not going to burn the people involved in this deal because I promised them I wouldn't and I live in this world full-time. I spoke with J.R. about a lot of things, on several occasions, this weekend. I spoke with Kenny and added the second report just as he asked it to be written. He was down with everything I wrote. I spoke with Mario Todd, J.R.'s dad. It's all good.

Sorry, I still don't do the rumor thing. I know what I heard from the correct people -- from their mouths to my ears with no one else around. I slept great all weekend.

So J.R. made a special trip to the Media Center just to ask you about the wife and kids?

If scoop wrote what he was told and the information changed, where is the problem. Have you read the second report from him.

Seems like it has become more of an issue here than anyplace else...:confused:

It simply looks like if there is something that can be done between KB and JR it will. Just have to wait and see.

jim

Nice swipe at Larry. :rolleyes: So you're telling me not to believe with my own eyes and ears what I saw and heard on TV when J.R. and Kenny were interviewed right after and both said it wasn't correct?

(who the hell edited my post? :mad: )

Last edited:
It simply looks like if there is something that can be done between KB and JR it will.

Which is probably exactly the state of the situation as this time. But what the discussion is over is this quote from Geiger's piece:

J.R. Todd, wildly disappointed that he didn't get the job driving the fourth car at John Force Racing, is leaving Dexter Tuttle Racing at year's end and joining Kenny Bernstein Racing.

That's a huge difference, Jim. It's being reported as a done deal. From a followup report that should have been a retraction, KB, speaking of Evan Knoll and Torco says:

"...So far, we haven't met with them ..."

Last edited:
Nice swipe at Larry. :rolleyes: So you're telling me not to believe with my own eyes and ears what I saw and heard on TV when J.R. and Kenny were interviewed right after and both said it wasn't correct?
Brent, have you no respect whatsoever? Is there anyone on this board you haven't insulted in one way or another? Is there something about your past you need to get out in the open and get over so you can just co-exist with others peaceably?

Like it or not Scoop responded directly to the question of his reported words. He was straight forward and clear yet you feel the need to post such vile crap in response? Don't believe him if you wish but there is no need to insult. Rob is a valued resource to everything NHRA drag racing. I can't think of another reporter who is at every event/in every pit/friendly to all involved with our sport more than he is? Why must you insult us all by giving the appearance of your information being more carefully screened than his?

We all know Kenny has enough savvy to keep his mouth shut until his sponsorships are signed, sealed and delivered as a result of the likes of these boards leaking information and jeopardizing the success of such relationships. Time and again, such information leaks have canceled the contracts prior to execution. With this in mind, Bernstein won't even allude to the possibility of landing another major sponsor to bring JR on board. Hence the denial interview! That's smart business! Don't throw Mr. Geiger under your own personal bus for knowing more than others are currently willing to announce at this time.

Time will tell what will happen here but nobody needs to be trashed in the process -- especially a valued resource like Scoop!

Yeah I do agree he should have said things have changed since I first reported it or the information I got was correct at the time but has since changed.

This is what KB said, "J.R. has a great relationship with Evan Knoll and Torco and they both want to continue that relationship into the future so we're trying to set up a meeting to see if there is anything there. So far, we haven't met with them but it could happen this weekend. It's up to them.

"From what I've seen of him, I like J.R. quite a bit. I go more off of what Brandon says about him and Brandon really likes the kid so that goes a long, long way with me. We'll have to see if anything materializes."

The full quote. So who knows in the long run he just might be right.

So for now I am over it. If it comes to pass great, if doesn't it will just a be a great idea. Hope this is the worst thing I have to think about today that somebody got tripped up by the changing world of NHRA........

jim

We all know Kenny has enough savvy to keep his mouth shut until his sponsorships are signed, sealed and delivered as a result of the likes of these boards leaking information and jeopardizing the success of such relationships. Time and again, such information leaks have canceled the contracts prior to execution. With this in mind, Bernstein won't even allude to the possibility of landing another major sponsor to bring JR on board. Hence the denial interview! That's smart business! Don't throw Mr. Geiger under your own personal bus for knowing more than others are currently willing to announce at this time.

Bobby, you kind of contradict yourself in your defense of Mr. Geiger. Basically what you're saying is true; Bernstein knows to keep quiet until a deal is finalized. Apparently Geiger doesn't respect or understand this fact, and he of all people needs to if he's going to be the mouthpiece of the sanctioning body.

Just because he hears some inside info while in someone's trailer or in a hotel lobby, doesn't mean he has the right to report it, EVEN IF IT IS TRUE! That is of course unless he has the approval from all parties directly involved. In this case, he didn't.

What if JR hadn't talked with Dexter about this yet? He might have been out just testing the waters with Bernstein and others. This is not "Entertainment Tonight"!

Alot of us have first hand info of '08 plans from various teams we're directly involved with but it's not our place to announce it to the world. It's theirs!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back