Grumpy's car sells for $577,500 (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brammer

Nitro Member
I don't know if anyone saw this on Speed -- I was there watching when Grumpy's car went for $577,500 at the Barrett Jackson Auction last weekend in Scottsdale it was pretty cool... and they gave some good cudos to NHRA too... it's a big Muscle Car crowd -- and, watching all of those things roll across the stage at numbers like that -- amazing.

Barrett-Jackson Website

Rob Geiger's comments on the Geiger Counter

now, if we can get all of those guys with their $$ to come to a race....

I was at the auction yesterday and saw Grump's Vega on display, it already had the "sold" sign on it. It was a kick trying to explain to my 16 year old son how this mild-mannered looking Vega (what's a Vega, he says?) ruled pro stock in it's early years! And, to find out how much it sold for the day before is mind boggling, as most vehicles didn't seem to be bringing stupid high prices this year as in previous years. There were a few sold for truly stupid money, to guys with truly gigantic egos that want to hear the crowd cheer for them and to be on TV. Anyway, it is really cool that a relic from NHRA past could bring such a high sale price at the auction!

My dad was at the auction, and saw the Grump hanging out, as well as (he's pretty sure) Dale Armstrong. Does anyone know if Grumpy was selling the car himself? I hope so, it would be nice to see a lifelong drag racer ring the bell and be able to add to his retirement fund!

he was on stage when it sold, and I believe it was his car -- so, yeah -- he got it... less the 10% buyers premium and the 8% seller's premium.

for that 500k, a smaller team could run some laps ... but, like the guy I was standingnewar when that car sold said, at the end of the day, they wouldn't have anything, and the guy who bought the car would still have... a car!

if anyone hasn't been to the auction -- it's something to witness firsthand. it's just too bad we got an arctic air blast and it was cold an rainy! (and then it snowed! who knows -- maybe the Bears will win this year -- you know a cold day in h---? -- lol)

M

Speaking of the Barrett Jackson auction, did anyone check out the jet on display there? Yes, a real airplane jet. Only $1.5 million and can be flown by one pilot. Seats six. Sure seems like an "affordable" jet?

I gotta go collect some more aluminum cans and start saving for one. Wonder what it costs to get it off the ground and per mile to fly ? Wonder if NHRA would let me land it on the dragstrip at national events like Connie used to do ?

I haven't had the pleasure to talk to Bill in a while, but I'm pretty sure that he did not own the car at the time of the auction.

From what I understand, it was restored with his help and blessing a couple of years ago. That restorer sold the car recently and the new owner was the one who consigned the car. I would assume that the new owner arranged for Grump to be there as it was a major selling point as far as I'm concerned.

I was watching the auction and noticed that before Bill went up to join the auctioneer, he was hanging out with Joe Amato as the car rolled into position. They interviewed Amato after the car sold. Quite a hoot to see two of Pennsylvania's most famous racers getting some well-earned prime time limelight.

I'm glad that I'm not longer involved in the musclecar scene. While the cars I owned back then would bring huge money today, when the Vega sold I was reminded of how fickle and heartbreaking the whole process can be.

While Ray Allen's car (along with Bernie Agaman's Corvette) would have been high on my list of dream collectibles, I am astounded that a car as important as the Jenkins Vega only went for roughly half the price.

Doesn't add up to me, but a car is only worth what a single buyer is willing to pay on the day it was sold.

In my mind, it's a shame that the pioneers and heroes of our sport are not the ones finding financial security from all their hard work over the years. I suppose it's the same for the football and baseball stars of the 60's and 70's who were paid pennies on the dollar for what an average player makes (and stands to make) today.

he was on stage when it sold, and I believe it was his car -- so, yeah -- he got it... less the 10% buyers premium and the 8% seller's premium.

for that 500k, a smaller team could run some laps ... but, like the guy I was standingnewar when that car sold said, at the end of the day, they wouldn't have anything, and the guy who bought the car would still have... a car!

if anyone hasn't been to the auction -- it's something to witness firsthand. it's just too bad we got an arctic air blast and it was cold an rainy! (and then it snowed! who knows -- maybe the Bears will win this year -- you know a cold day in h---? -- lol)

M

......did anyone check out the jet on display there? Yes, a real airplane jet.......
sorry to hijack thread - talked to marketing guy with Cirrus Design up here
in Duluth, MN about 3 months ago; he said they had just completed a display at the monterey car auctions in pebble beach, ca - this was (can't remember) either their 2nd or 3rd display at non-aeronautical events. I asked him if they
were following a leader or were they the leader?, he thought they were first
private plane mfg. to explore high-end non-aeronautical events, but could
see a trend developing; he also added they achieved sales at these first few
events that would only increase future participation. They were in the process
of building their 2nd 40' gooseneck truck/trailer/full size mock-up plane/display
to accomodate more events.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back