A Very Good Read (1 Viewer)

He wanted to say shove these, and it cost him $300. Sometimes its worth that to make a point. If the stands are empty after the next few races, and Im assuming that the seats at next few races are filled with fans who bought them before they cut the races by 25%, then we will know if it will affect the bottom line.
That's all well and good if you believe that the definition of the sport is only the nitro classes, and cutting the length of the racing surface for just those two classes is reason enough to abandon the sport altogether.

The only class missing from the Seattle race roster is Pro Stock Motorcycle. I think this is the only event on the national event circuit that has every sportsman class available. Pro Stock (yes, I know this isn't a sportsman class), both Alky classes, Comp, Super Stock and Stock, and all three .90 classes (they don't race Super Street at Indy). The nitro classes are part of the show, but they aren't the entire show. Mailing the tickets to Glendora makes a statement that really doesn't affect anyone. Really. Donating them to a youth group, even if you don't agree with new rules applied to two classes would expose underprivileged kids to something that is pretty darn exciting, and it could lead to some of those kids finding a life focus on a career of working on (or even racing) cars.

Here is a question I haven't heard anyone ask.
Out of all the deaths in drag Racing since its inception excluding Scott (rest in peace) how many have died because of the length of the shutdown area?

I support Dale Armstrong's solution it's inexpensive and the super smart Crew Chiefs won't be able to circumvent it which would level the playing field for the under funded teams.
If it’s close racing people always wanted this could help that too!

Last edited:
While a decent question I think the bigger issue hasn;t just been shut down area but wha happens to the cars int he last 320ft.

tire issues, wing collapse, chassis failure, engines blowing up and such. More of this happens at the big end.

While a decent question I think the bigger issue hasn;t just been shut down area but wha happens to the cars int he last 320ft.

tire issues, wing collapse, chassis failure, engines blowing up and such. More of this happens at the big end.

Read Bobby's and Jon's interview article at Competition Plus with Dale Armstrong and you might change your mind about the 1000' implementation.

Mission Raceway Park is only an hour away from where I live and is actually 30 miles closer to me than Pacific Raceways. Even Woodburn Dragstrip in Oregon isn't too long a drive. Each of these tracks hold Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Divisional events. I happen to not only to enjoy top alcohol dragster and funny car racing, I like like comp racing as well. Perhaps from now on I should focus my attention on attending the LODRS events.

This sounds like just the ticket for you. The Nostalgia Nitro Funny Cars are a blast!:)
From Mission Raceway's website:
JULY 26/27 Sat/Sun LUCAS OIL NHRA CANADIAN NATIONAL OPEN featuring Nostalgia Nitro Funny Cars, Top Alcohol Dragsters & Funny Cars, Top Fuel Harleys, NHRA Summit ET Racing Series, CPSA, (PNSCA Sat.)

The reason that Seattle runs every single sportsman class is because Division 6 is the only division that gets ONE national event, so this is the only opportunity for many of the sportsman drivers to play on "the big stage".
Breaking the season down by division, it looks like this:

Division 1 - Englishtown, Maple Grove, Richmond
Division 2 - Gainesville, Atlanta, Bristol, Charlotte
Division 3 - St. Louis, Chicago, Norwalk, Indy
Division 4 - Houston, Dallas, Memphis
Division 5 - Topeka, Denver, Brainerd
Division 6 - Seattle
Division 7 - Pomona 1, Phoenix, Las Vegas 1, Sonoma, Las Vegas 2, Pomona 2

Just a little food for thought:)

That's all well and good if you believe that the definition of the sport is only the nitro classes, and cutting the length of the racing surface for just those two classes is reason enough to abandon the sport altogether.

The only class missing from the Seattle race roster is Pro Stock Motorcycle. I think this is the only event on the national event circuit that has every sportsman class available. Pro Stock (yes, I know this isn't a sportsman class), both Alky classes, Comp, Super Stock and Stock, and all three .90 classes (they don't race Super Street at Indy). .

Route 66 also has all of the sportsman classes run because of the Jeg's race.

This sounds like just the ticket for you. The Nostalgia Nitro Funny Cars are a blast!:)
From Mission Raceway's website:
JULY 26/27 Sat/Sun LUCAS OIL NHRA CANADIAN NATIONAL OPEN featuring Nostalgia Nitro Funny Cars, Top Alcohol Dragsters & Funny Cars, Top Fuel Harleys, NHRA Summit ET Racing Series, CPSA, (PNSCA Sat.)

Thanks for that. We went up to the National Open at Mission last year and had lots of fun. Those Nostalgia Nitro Funny Cars were great. We definitely plan to do it again this year.

Rich,

I wasn't implying anything, but I stand by what I said. Scott was a friend, and not only was I there, I was as close as anyone. And I will never forget the images or the sounds.

I actually respect your avenue of protest. If you feel that strongly I believe that this is a good way to get your point across. I would be interested to hear if you get a response from NHRA. You can PM me if you’d like.

Remember that I’m the guy who stands on the wall before the finals and thanks the fans for coming out to see us. I never like to lose a fan, especially a long time fan. But I hate going to funerals even more.

Alan

Alan,

It's all good. Having lost good friends myself I can certainly sympathize with you on that one. When it comes to these type of discussions things tend to get a little heated at times and I know that I'm as guilty as the next guy. If my opposition to the new 1000 foot measure came across as callous or indifferent to the safety of those who drive those machines, then I sincerely apologize even as I assure you that was not my intent.

Thanks again for all you do for this sport.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back