A Very Good Read (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
Take a minute and read the Bob Wilber blog entry "On The Record" it's worth the time.

Blogs.NHRA.com - NHRA Driver Blogs

And for those of you who have decided that you are never coming to another NHRA race, sorry to see you go. We will miss you, but not near as much as we miss Scott.

Alan

Thanks for the link, Alan. I think NHRA made the right move and it was good to see Del's comments about the decision.

Jim

"So what do we do in the meantime? Do we close our eyes and simply hope nothing bad happens while smart people address the issues? I strongly think not. This was the right move to make immediately."

I couldn't agree with this statement more. Yes drag racing has always been 1/4 mile, and thats our tradition and standard, but this is the right move and I applaud the NHRA and the drivers who pushed for this change to help in the interim until permanent changes or upgrades are made. At the end of the day, we will still have seen good side by side racing.

Excellent, and very insightful and intelligent.

Great Blog.

Thanks Alan, and especially Bob.

REX

Take a minute and read the Bob Wilber blog entry "On The Record" it's worth the time.

Blogs.NHRA.com - NHRA Driver Blogs

And for those of you who have decided that you are never coming to another NHRA race, sorry to see you go. We will miss you, but not near as much as we miss Scott.

Alan

A very thoughtful article. And you're right that it was worth the time to read it. However he was definitely wrong about one thing:

None of us have ever attended a 1,000-foot drag race on nitro, so none of us know how it's going to look, sound, or feel. We'll all find out together...

Sorry, but that's not going to happen - at least not for me. I put my tickets for all three days of the Northwest Nationals in an envelope and mailed them to Glendora this afternoon. But I guess I can at least take some comfort in the fact that you say you're going to miss us. Let me assure you that I will miss watching and following drag racing as well.

And by the way, for the record, I highly resent the implication that those of us who oppose this particular decision somehow won't miss Scott.

Alan, thanks for the link. Very well put, and I think that most reasonable people will have to agree that this is what needs to be done until a more permanent solution, if possible, is worked out. Having worked at the top end for 15 years I saw a lot of different facilities' answers to the gravel traps and must say that some of them were scary. Nothing like a nice raised lip to the gravel that would launch a car into the air. Or a trap that hadn't been raked for months, or maybe since last year's event, that is almost as hard as the pavement. Even the long tracks with uphill shutoff areas are not immune to the problems. I was the first one to reach Darrell Hitchman at Sonoma when he went through the trap and both nets and wound up on the hill with the TV camera. He was lucky and walked away. John Force was there in a heartbeat because Ashley was also in that class at the time. I believe it was there that he decided that there would be no TF car in her future.

As long as I worked NHRA races, I spent a lot longer in road racing, both driving and as an official, and I think that NHRA may be where road racing was a few decades ago. We lost a lot of road circuits because the cars flat outgrew them. Housing developments helped the process in some cases, but some of the old, traditional tracks we loved just became too dangerous. Ponca City in Oklahoma was a great park to race through, but after a friend of mine was killed when he hit a tree that was the end. Lake Afton in Wichita disappeared too. Fortunately, we got newer facilities like Heartland Park to replace them that were much safer. It took a while for the new tracks, but they came.

Why am I saying this? Because I think that maybe the time has come where some of the NHRA tracks are just not going to be able to handle the cars anymore unless they can be dramatically upgraded. The problem in many cases is not just spending money to raise the walls another 6 inches, but getting land that is not available to add hundreds of feet of shutdown. Problem is, NHRA owns some of these facilities and has spent a lot of money on recent changes. But let's face it, Pomona will never be able to handle the full 1320' again unless there are some major "advances". We always had five or more cars in the trap each race. Some were minor and only dropped the front end into the sand, but other were pretty major like the alcohol FC whose body flew over the fence and landed across the street by the golf course fence. People were riding bikes on the street and could have been hurt or worse.

I will get off my soapbox box, but just wanted to say that there can't be any "sacred cows" if we are going try to make this a safer sport. Cars, race distance and even tracks need to be in the potential solutions. I have lost too many friends in road racing and drag racing. I haven't liked some of the changes over the years to the racing that I love, but I do love it, and especially the people I have met and befriended, too much to make a few changes make me walk away from it. Hell, one of these days the cars may all be electric and we will have to have the noise played over the PA. I won't like it, but I will be there, God willing. Hopefully, all of you, and all of the drivers, will be too.

And by the way, for the record, I highly resent the implication that those of us who oppose this particular decision somehow won't miss Scott.

That isn't what Alan said. He said "We will miss you, but not near as much as we miss Scott." He didn't say that you weren't gonna miss Scott.

Last edited:
That isn't what Alan said. He said "We will miss you, but not near as much as we miss Scott." He didn't say that you weren't gonna miss Scott.

Teri

I agree with everything Bob wrote with one caveat: as long as this really is temporary.
If it isn't, then they've just altered the sport by making a decision based on emotion more than logic.

If they leave that shutdown area at Etown the way it is , one day another driver will die in it, 1000' or not. And THAT is what is so annoyong to those of us who oppose this decision.

Sorry, but that's not going to happen - at least not for me. I put my tickets for all three days of the Northwest Nationals in an envelope and mailed them to Glendora this afternoon.
I've gotta ask. Why didn't you try to sell the tickets if you weren't going to use them?

That's not what he said but that's exactly what he implied. It's to say that because someone we all hold dearly has lost his life there should be no debate or disagreement when the drivers, owners, and sanctioning body make a change that will radically change the tradition and history of the sport. In fact it's just a variation of the "shut up and drive" mentality we're used to hearing NASCAR tell its' drivers, only this time directed at drag racing fans. Sorry, but invoking the name of a beloved recent victim of a horrible tragedy is just another way of besmirching dissenters while at the same time attempting to cut off debate.

I've gotta ask. Why didn't you try to sell the tickets if you weren't going to use them?

It's not as easy as you might think. It's only two weeks before the event and I live 90 miles from the track. Where I live is sprint car country and most race fans here are looking forward to the ASCS Speedweeks which are scheduled for the same weekend.

Last edited:
It's not as easy as you might think. It's only two weeks before the event and I live 90 miles from the track. Where I live is sprint car country and most race fans here are looking forward to the ASAT Speedweeks which are scheduled for the same weekend.
Offering them on eBay, or pretty much any drag racing forum would have probably worked. Mailing them to someone who wanted to buy them would have been just as easy as mailing them to Glendora.

Alan, thanks for the link. Very well put, and I think that most reasonable people will have to agree that this is what needs to be done until a more permanent solution, if possible, is worked out. Having worked at the top end for 15 years I saw a lot of different facilities' answers to the gravel traps and must say that some of them were scary. Nothing like a nice raised lip to the gravel that would launch a car into the air. Or a trap that hadn't been raked for months, or maybe since last year's event, that is almost as hard as the pavement. Even the long tracks with uphill shutoff areas are not immune to the problems. I was the first one to reach Darrell Hitchman at Sonoma when he went through the trap and both nets and wound up on the hill with the TV camera. He was lucky and walked away. John Force was there in a heartbeat because Ashley was also in that class at the time. I believe it was there that he decided that there would be no TF car in her future.

As long as I worked NHRA races, I spent a lot longer in road racing, both driving and as an official, and I think that NHRA may be where road racing was a few decades ago. We lost a lot of road circuits because the cars flat outgrew them. Housing developments helped the process in some cases, but some of the old, traditional tracks we loved just became too dangerous. Ponca City in Oklahoma was a great park to race through, but after a friend of mine was killed when he hit a tree that was the end. Lake Afton in Wichita disappeared too. Fortunately, we got newer facilities like Heartland Park to replace them that were much safer. It took a while for the new tracks, but they came.

Why am I saying this? Because I think that maybe the time has come where some of the NHRA tracks are just not going to be able to handle the cars anymore unless they can be dramatically upgraded. The problem in many cases is not just spending money to raise the walls another 6 inches, but getting land that is not available to add hundreds of feet of shutdown. Problem is, NHRA owns some of these facilities and has spent a lot of money on recent changes. But let's face it, Pomona will never be able to handle the full 1320' again unless there are some major "advances". We always had five or more cars in the trap each race. Some were minor and only dropped the front end into the sand, but other were pretty major like the alcohol FC whose body flew over the fence and landed across the street by the golf course fence. People were riding bikes on the street and could have been hurt or worse.

I will get off my soapbox box, but just wanted to say that there can't be any "sacred cows" if we are going try to make this a safer sport. Cars, race distance and even tracks need to be in the potential solutions. I have lost too many friends in road racing and drag racing. I haven't liked some of the changes over the years to the racing that I love, but I do love it, and especially the people I have met and befriended, too much to make a few changes make me walk away from it. Hell, one of these days the cars may all be electric and we will have to have the noise played over the PA. I won't like it, but I will be there, God willing. Hopefully, all of you, and all of the drivers, will be too.

I agree. Especially with LE Mans- yes we race there, but the hill on the Mussiline (sp?) straight has been knocked down about 30 feet since we can cars launching off it into the trees like rockets.

Offering them on eBay, or pretty much any drag racing forum would have probably worked. Mailing them to someone who wanted to buy them would have been just as easy as mailing them to Glendora.

Perhaps so. But over the years I've also learned it's pretty easy to be against something when there's nothing on the line. It's a small thing, but I figured the least I could do would be to put my money where my mouth is. It cost me more than $300 to do it but at least I got the satisfaction of telling the powers-that-be in Glendora what I think of their plans to fundamentally alter what drag racing has always been.

Perhaps so. But over the years I've also learned it's pretty easy to be against something when there's nothing on the line. It's a small thing, but I figured the least I could do would be to put my money where my mouth is. It cost me more than $300 to do it but at least I got the satisfaction of telling the powers-that-be in Glendora what I think of their plans to fundamentally alter what drag racing has always been.

Good.

Bye.

REX

I guess if you want to feel good about feeling bad, that's one way to do it. Mailing them to an organization like a Boys and Girls Club of King County with a note attached telling them you couldn't use the tickets but you thought maybe some of their kids who couldn't afford them would use them would still have allowed you to feel good about feeling bad, and it also wouldn't have been a complete waste of the money spent on the tickets.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back