A little "Did You Know" fact about the mater... (1 Viewer)

I still remember I was looking for some pics of Scotty Cannon's "wombat" paint job back in late 2001, and somehow stumbled across a place called nitromater.com and I've been here ever since.
312463933bZXOry_ph.jpg

I was trying to find some photography tips I'd printed out a long time ago, and ran across some a couple threads I'd printed out from that same time frame. Here is a nice account of "Parker" and his buds trying to start a lawn mower on fuel.
me and some other guys tried to run a lawnmower on fuel a while back...start it on gas, introduce the nitro, then RUN...it ran almost a minute before it blew up and set the grass on fire. Don't do it, it's more trouble than it's worth, though it is entertaining

I wish I know about you guys playing the tantrum version of the NHRA PC game back then. I spent many many hours playing that game. It got re-issued by moto 1 a year or two later, then came NHRA 2. I didn't think either version was as good as the first, but when Main Event came out, I was totally impressed.

Will, great piece of history that made me misty eyed. There are many lurkers here that were part of that history and had hours of fun and made friends from around the world. The common thread was our love of the sport of drag racing. "Man those were the days"
Just a few I can remember: Jeff Brady, Kevin Smith, George Reilly, Bill Servino, teams LETR, TT, WB, AR, MAM and the king of sim racing WBHawaiiBird Bernie Partridge Jr.

Thanks to NitroMater for this space.

Keep'm Lit!
RO

Rick O,
Those were definitely some good times. Some of the Rivalries we had turned into the best friendships you could ask for. From Day one with Tantrum Waiting for qualifying results in the chartroom and the heated arguments we had. To Main Event with 200 people trying to qualify for 16 car fields. We had some really good time with “JUST ONE MORE RUN” LOL. That damn game cost a marriage which turned onto a good thing. I really would like to know where the 2000 members from NitroSim went to. I think your right we are all lurking around. Shane, Erick, Will”Tricky Tipster”Jerrod and Hot Rod all got something out of the online racing. And I got a lifetime of memories and a lot of good friends. Dom, Joe, Mikey G, Gary P, Oznog , Bigdawg, Bill Sev, JB,And the Beaver Just to name a few .Being on the beta team for Main Event was pretty cool with Ron Capps and Tommy Delargo but that was a lifetime ago. I have been at the mater for a few years now but don’t post very often but I do check in everyday. I really hope nobody puts out another game. “I am very happily married and want to keep it that way” But we had so much damn fun it wouldn’t take much to drag me back in.
Best Regards,
Geo.

Last edited:
And sometimes we got all 3 !

I am having a flash back (NO not that kind!!)

Do you all rememeber:
Jerrod and Duct tape!:D
Kelly and the Swirly Thingy ;)

The "My 1st Drag Race" thread or was it "How I got hooked on Drag Racing"

The Joker and "more cheese - please"

More important there have been some very articulate and insightful words from people who really know!

I again say thanks to all that got it started and got us here! :)

........the 'swirly thingy' uh ha :eek:

Great thread. I can't remember how I made my way to Nitromater.com, but I came from Nitronic Research. Man, that was a rough place sometimes. Too bad they couldn't have stayed sane, there was a ton of history represented on that board.

As for the Mater, I've made a lot of friends here. It's like home now.

How many versions of the 'mater have there been ?
From my memory we are using Mater 4.0
It's been a fun ride so far .....

Mark/ozfuel

OMG girl! I think I remember posting a pic or two for you...AND an avatar? LOL But I've slept since then....may be a little foggy. ;)

Yes!! I don't have that computer anymore, but I kept that avatar for the longest time. That was the bright spot in my life at the time (wow, that's sounds SO melodramatic...LOL). ;)

I never met Ed Dykes (or Larry Sullivan for that matter) but, they were certain two of the pioneers.

Thanks for the memories.

I was another of the reporters that left RIS to go with Ed and Larry and Rick Green. There are others still here that got their start on Compuserve such as Bob Orme and Dan Bennett.

Rick O,
Those were definitely some good times. Some of the Rivalries we had turned into the best friendships you could ask for. From Day one with Tantrum Waiting for qualifying results in the chartroom and the heated arguments we had. To Main Event with 200 people trying to qualify for 16 car fields. We had some really good time with “JUST ONE MORE RUN” LOL. That damn game cost a marriage which turned onto a good thing. I really would like to know where the 2000 members from NitroSim went to. I think your right we are all lurking around. Shane, Erick, Will”Tricky Tipster”Jerrod and Hot Rod all got something out of the online racing. And I got a lifetime of memories and a lot of good friends. Dom, Joe, Mikey G, Gary P, Oznog , Bigdawg, Bill Sev, JB,And the Beaver Just to name a few .Being on the beta team for Main Event was pretty cool with Ron Capps and Tommy Delargo but that was a lifetime ago. I have been at the mater for a few years now but don’t post very often but I do check in everyday. I really hope nobody puts out another game. “I am very happily married and want to keep it that way” But we had so much damn fun it wouldn’t take much to drag me back in.
Best Regards,
Geo.

Hey Geo whats up bud..... I know Bill Sev posts over my place every once in awhile.. Big Dawg hangs out on Justin Grants board( classicfunnycarboard.com) There's a quite a few nitrosim guys that still hang out at dragsim.com ..... I know I ran up a 2000 dollar phone bill arguing with Mike G over that damn game.. Yeah it was worth every penny too lol.....

I found the mater through nitrosim as well quite a few years ago. It's nice to see a few of the old online racing guys, but the "real names" is different. Man I miss that game, the events, the people, the fun. Besides, how many people can say they beat Ron Capps in a Funny Car. So heres a shout to Dixonfan,Assasin,Misfit,Danno, and my teammate AR1Ricko.

MamSnoopdawg or AR1Snoop.

P.S. If your going to BIR this year Danno, I'll look you up.:)

Sorry scott I'm not going to make it this year:mad: Nobody will want to be around me those four day's. But have a good time and maybe I'll see you in 09...Danno

a little off subject but since i've seen some names i haven't seen since the offline days....whatever happened to mike geczy and gary potyok (did i get that name right?) aka toyzshop racing.

good to see some of the old names pop up.

jerrod, sorry if i got the story messed up. didn't want to piss anyone off telling the 'wrong' version. i know how hard it is to get a site popular.

Will, I still talk to Gary occasionally on msn.. Mike I havnt talked to since the last 2k phone bill..lol Last I heard he was rebuilding his house or something to that affect...

This thread brings back memories - thanks to Will, Dan, Bob, Darryl and others. Part way through I was racking my brain trying to even remember what services I had used in the 90's and someone finally mentioned Prodigy and Les Welch. I spent a lot of time reading that and Compuserve/RIS, though (like now) I rarely posted. Back then we were thrilled to get whatever info came out. As has been mentioned the Compuserve deal was great - lots of really great input from seriously plugged in people. Dan Bennett's insights into Pro Stock racing were fascinating! Randy Goodwin was on there and was a behind the scenes catalyst for my taking the plunge into TA/FC in 1997. It also convinced me to be a fairly early adopter and build a web site for my TA/FC as early as 1998. I made sure to have Nitronic and Drag Racing List decals on it for several years - not to mention a "major" sponsorship from JW Last and the 70's Funny Cars web site!

Lyle Greenberg
Rachel Greenberg Motorsports
Lyle Greenberg Motorsports
Jennifer Greenberg Motorsports

Hey Snoop thx for the shout out bro!! :cool: Man do i miss that game...Its good to hear some of those old names again brings back a fun time in my life

BislickLETR

Thats to bad Danno, but I will look for you next year then. Shane and Eric, if the IHRA ever returns to Cordova, you may as well count me in right now.. I had a blast at that race. BTW, say hi to Max and Dudley:D:D. And Slicky, the amount of fun we had with that game should almost be illegal. Also, if I can swing a few things I might try Vegas again in the fall. I'll give you a ring later this week.

Slicky long time bud... How you been.. I see youon msn everyonce in awhile but didnt IM you cause didnt know if you would remember me..lol

I also remember Scotty coming to match race in D/FW right after he got his new F/C and in an interview on radio from South Carolina he said of the predictions of rain at race time " no worry I'll bring my boat , the Hydro Mater , you do have boats around there don't you "!
Scotty is a nut and a web site promoting a nut is nuts .
I'll leave it at that.
Thanks Jerrod and the gang for many happy times and more info than the law allows.
It doesn't have to all be serious at least on this level.
Thank God for good fellowship.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back