A little "Did You Know" fact about the mater... (1 Viewer)

Heh, another Snake racing dot com forum refugee here. Circa 2003.

A kid named Max posted over there, he was into hockey and corresponded with Larry Dixon. One day Max mentioned "the 'mater". So I swung by here.
Snake's board eventually shut down, and this became the default place.

Great post Will, thanx for the history lesson.

I really enjoy hanging out here, met a bunch of fantastic people thru this site.
I hope to meet many more that I see everyday on here.
We've shared good times, and we've shared sad times, we dish out good-natured ribbing, we bicker and argue, we show support, we have laughs, sometimes things get kinda crazy here, but overall it's a great place.

Thanks Jerrod and all who made this place.

So y'all really do have 'Mater meetings? I'm always too nervous (or too late) for those things. I had a bad experience meeting up with fans from band message board while I was living in Vegas and I've been gun shy ever since. And no way do I want to shatter the fragile illusion that I'm a decent person and a decent journalist. :p

Great history lesson, Will!

I think I first heard of the mater back in 2004 when I was searching for something and it came up as a search result. Mostly did a bunch of lurking in the shadows until about a year ago and actually met a buncha maters at Vegas2 last fall.

Hey Will, I actually found the Mater by one of the banner ads being run on (I think it was NitroSim.com). I think it was some time around 2000.

I think that I ran in one or two offline races and then raced in the online with Team Low ET.

I have been here ever since and have referred many people here.

Hey Paul...I too raced for team low et. What was your handle? Mine was DixonfanLETR.

So y'all really do have 'Mater meetings? I'm always too nervous (or too late) for those things. I had a bad experience meeting up with fans from band message board while I was living in Vegas and I've been gun shy ever since. And no way do I want to shatter the fragile illusion that I'm a decent person and a decent journalist. :p

Kris! OMG....some of the best (and most interesting) people in the world I've met from this board and/or Mater Meetings! You gotta go girlie! :)

I came on board to the old "Mater" just to catch the next post of Rodge, I mean Pat McGill, I mean Takamychet, I mean Dan Lynch or whatever his name was? Those were the days! Moving on to the new Mater was like finally getting a handle on that unknown bad rash?

I came on board to the old "Mater" just to catch the next post of Rodge, I mean Pat McGill, I mean Takamychet, I mean Dan Lynch or whatever his name was? Those were the days! Moving on to the new Mater was like finally getting a handle on that unknown bad rash?
LMAO Bobby! You nailed the 'essence'. ;)

Thanks Will - good recap
I think it was early years - I was not (and still not ) a game player. But I was involved with CIFCA and the owner/driverof the F/C was Bill Merbach. Bill used to race Drag Boats and then worked on Hartmans F/C. (I think Richard was one of the signers on Bill's NHRA Lic) I heard about NitroMater at one of the monthly meetings. At the time I actually had a internet computer at my desk at work. I got hooked immediately. In the old days, sharing thoughts and opinions with Jim Jennard, Don S., Virgil Hartman, The Millers and many many others every day, was the absolute coolest thing. (A virus took my 'Corporate' internet priveledges away a few years back so now my time on here is very limited) Of course like almost everyone, right away I fell in deep 'like' with Kelly! ;) The Mater became my daily 'fix' for Drag Racing. It has gone through a few Seasons of change - but it is still a GREAT site. I appreciate each friendship/relationship that has been obtained here.

Thanks Ya'll

<quote> Will (Side note, ...I used to swear I'd never spend that much money on shades, then you borrow a friends Oakleys....and you're hooked for life).

Not to derail this Thread - Chad was driving the Semi for Jim Maher (CIFCA FC) to a Race at Vegas and I went along ....he loaned me a pair of "O's" and I can never go back now.

And the world get smaller Jerrod is now a neighbor if mine! (Damn J'Rod - you've got some amazing things in your garage!! :D )

Thanks all you Pioneers!!

The GoRacing.com drag racing section is where I got my start, and Jerrod and Will I think were over there too. Jerrod sent me an e-mail to come check out his new website. Man a lot has changed since then. I think Jeannie Allsage was the first person to ever post, and I was second.

Here is a screenshot from 2003 thanks to archive.org

Mater.jpg

Wow, talk about bringing back memories....

The RIS site was THE best place for race coverage other than calling the Castrol Hot Line and listening to Mac give his reports. I remember many a chat session with Mike, Ed and a host of characters that populated the sight with frequency.
You're right Dan, Larry Sullivan doesn't get near the credit he deserves for the work he did with Ed Dykes and today with Rick Green and the rest of the FNN crew.
Speaking of Ed Dykes, he was quite a character and I still remember the emptiness felt when we heard about him crashing his small plane in the fog on the way home from the IHRA banquet. Tremendous loss. Most folks don't know that the media center @ Heartland Park is named in Ed's honor.
The Mater, heck, I've been on here so long I don't remeber when I signed up!
Just know that I appreciate the site that Jerrod has nurtured along, along with Will's site's as well.
The Mater and insidecompracing.com are checked frequently every day.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Will, it's amazing how far we've come, and tantalizing to think of where we might be going......

Unk

I know Nitromater has for sure had my viewership for all of it's years. On the topic of your video game website, what would it take to have the same kind of website again. I agree with your other thread about needing a good video game, but until that happens my brother and I play the heck out of PS2 and PSP NHRA Drag Racing.
I guess the only problem with a website drag racing video game would be the lack of real world things accomplished.
Adios,
---------------

I also found this site through Nitrosim and know the names mentioned in other posts. Racing online then was a blast to say the least. I'm not a big gamer but Main Event grabbed me and I was hooked. The online events were the most fun I ever had playing ANY game on any format....danno.

It doesn't seem like all that long ago. I remember when the Ed Dykes NHRA race results started... did anybody else here call the Castrol 900 number for results before that?

Last edited:
I am a HUGE Scotty Cannon fan ... I did a web search for his website and found the 'mater. I lurked for a long time before taking the plunge in 2003 and attended my first 'mater meeting in '04. Been enjoying the wackiness ever since ....

It doesn't seem like all that long ago. I remember when the Ed Dykes NHRA race results started... did anybody else here call the Castrol 900 number for results before that?

Me too ! That kind of reminds me of a story that I was in Columbus with the Lenco car in "86, and I had to check in with a bunch of Aussies from the payphone at the track to give my report and get theirs...........we've come a long way since then!!!
(by the time I was done, I was applauded by all the people in line behind me, but they all wanted to know the OZ report!):)

Thanx for the background Will, Justin Lamb hipped me to the 'mater back in the early'00s it's been a fun time. Its a great place for those of us surrounded by non drag racing/car people.

S/F
D

Since I'm convinced that this site is now the de facto "message board of drag racing", I think it's necessary to clarify some of the points Will made.

Being online didn't always involve the Internet. Before we had web browsers and HTML, there were things called bulletin boards. They had forums just like we have today but everything was text only.

Mike Hollander was the founder of RIS over at CompuServe. At that time, the Racing forum was by far the most active anywhere online. Some of the staffers went so far as to post reports from races they attended. The report showed up on Monday usually, but if we were really lucky the reporter would post each evening if they could find some sort of connection.

And it was always a labor of love - though Hollander received money from CIS for the traffic his forum generated, none of it went to the reporters other than a shirt or two.

Larry Sullivan was the guy who helped me come up to speed, and come to think of it was the first person to gently tell me that typing in all caps wasn't nearly as cool as I thought it was.

I was already racing in PS at the time, and remember volunteering to help Jerry Reynolds at Memphis sometime in the late 1980s. Jerry was another one of the pioneers. It was at that race I met the new guy, a local who was interested in helping cover races. The new guy was Ed Dykes, and no one who ever met Fast Eddie will ever forget him.

Though at one time I was a staffer on CompuServe, I finally gave it up after being frustrated one too many times by Mike Hollander. We had lengthy arguments about this new thing on the horizon - something called the internet. He didn't seem to think it would amount to much and that people would always pay a monthly fee to places like CompuServe.

While RIS was "keeping the faith", others like Jerrod DID have the foresight. NitroMater filled the void and no one had to pay a monthly fee.

I think RIS may even still exist, but when Ed and Larry Sullivan decided to break away to do this newfangled internet thing, the company they set up was FastNews Network.

It was pretty much a perfect organization, those two. Larry was the computer geek and blazed many trails in software design in drag racing. I wish more people recognized what he's done for all of us.

Ed was a salesman by trade, and he and I would have hours-long conversations as he was trying to stay awake driving home from his latest sales call. I can verify he was about as far from a tech-head as you can get, but with his personality and brains he got the job done.

When we first started covering races, the Media Relations manager of NHRA called us "just fans with laptops" to our collective faces. But Larry and Ed hung in there and slowly gained the respect they so richly deserved by being professional, complete, and interesting.

So, here's my congratulations to all the visionairies who took the knocks, wise cracks, and financial hit back in those dark days when most people didn't understand what the net was, and proudly bragged they didn't even know how to push the power button on a computer.

If it wasn't for them, where would all of us drag racing junkies be?
The changes have come at such a swift pace that what was really happening back in the earlier days of interreactional telecommunications now sometimes feels like ancient history, even when the time frame is only one or two decades ago.

Prodigy had a similar, albeit smaller audience forum as CompuServe, with their own volunteer internet racing reporters. ;) It too was firewalled, as was just about anything that was general public online access. Join a service, pay by the hour for access, and you could peruse the content of that service provider. For a while, I was paying for access to Prodigy, CompuServe and AOL, all at the same time. Prior to the firewalled ISP message boards, the internet still existed, but much of it was text only. If you knew how to find it, such things as the UPI (remember them?) raw international news feed was available. It made for interesting reading back in 1984...

Internet usegroups began the initial expansion of the internet beyond firewalled ISP's, at least for the average home computer owner/user. That's where the expansion really started to take off in a global way. Then, the World Wide Web came into being, and web-based information removed the need for local ISP's that had to include long-distance phone charges in their subscription rates. KaBoom! A huge explosion in the availability for every sort of information to be easily accessible to anyone with a computer and a phone line.

The WWW not only changed this medium of communication, it changed the way the world communicates and does business.

I was one of the Prodigy racing reporters way back in the day. I started posting my work on the usegroup Rec Auto Sport Info (after I posted it on Prodigy of course), and that resulted in a surprise or two. After covering a FF2000 event (I was covering all kinds of racing back then), I received an email from the Motorsports Editor at the Indianapolis Star asking me if I was the FF2000 PR guy. I replied I wasn't and that my R.A.S.I. post was just my coverage of the event - the FF2000 PR guy was new and a bit overwhelmed that weekend. She offered me a job at the Star covering open wheel support series events. I was extremely flattered, but I turned down the offer, telling her my true racing passion was drag racing. She then offered me another job as a stringer for the Star covering the NHRA National Event circuit. Again, I was very flattered, but had to turn it down too. I was still going to the drag races out of my own pocket, and at the time really needed the flexibility to continue to choose my travel schedule based on both financial concerns and interference with running with a brick and mortar store.

There had been a bit of competitive relationship between CompuServe and Prodigy in the early days of online drag racing coverage. That was actually sometimes pretty funny. There was sometimes more rivalry being verbally expressed in the press room than there was on the track! While the NHRA came to accept online reporting to be something that was worthy of seat space in the press rooms, they were grumbling about having to give up four of those precious media chairs at each event, and announced that only one service would be given credentials in the near future (if I remember right, it was a one-season advance notice).

Fast Eddie Dykes secured a financial commitment from the best (in my opinion) drag racing sponsor on the planet to provide enough funds to cover the travel expenses of the reporters. That was Manna from Heaven! I was still with Prodigy when Ed finalized the deal. I ran into him at (of all places) the inaugural Las Vegas NASCAR Cup event in the media center. I asked him about the deal, he confirmed it, then he asked me if I wanted to join FastNews. I asked him if I could think about it for a week. No problem was his response. I needed a little time to figure out how to break it to my Prodigy friends that I was going to "jump ship" and go to the races with Ed and Larry and Rick. That was the best decision I've ever made in my entire life. :)

...and I wasn't "just a fan with a laptop". At least, not in my first year. I hauled my desktop computer around in the back of my station wagon to work the races. :eek: My desire to work in this sport was definitely there, my equipment was just a lot bigger than everyone else's! :p

Sorry for rambling on so long. And thanks Jerrod for THE drag racing forum that is a combination of information and interaction on a real name basis.

I have had members ask me about the history of the mater, so thanks for posting that Will. It would be cool to have some background posted somewhere on the site for the newbies.

I was bumping around the speedvision boards and a bunch of us got invited here. I think I was member #8...wow that seems like a lifetime ago!

Kris! OMG....some of the best (and most interesting) people in the world I've met from this board and/or Mater Meetings! You gotta go girlie! :)

If I find my way to another race this year I will try ... I just never seem to have my act together when the race is in town here. I am still hoping to get to Vegas 2 this year or perhaps the finals in Pomona. Depends on how well the puppy dog eyes work on the hubby. :p

Hmm. I wonder how much vacation time I'll have accrued by then. Heh.

This site, though, has been very helpful for me since I'm still learning the sport. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back