Bruce Larson....did you know??? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
While at Indy I ran into Bruce at his Nostalgia car, I asked him what his budget was when he won the FC title in 1989. He told me $280,000! I was like...are you serious? Kenny Bernstein was getting at least a Mil. Per year from Bud, no idea what Force was getting from Castrol then. But I was stunned that he could run 19 races for $15,000 per, considering he had the fastest FC pass in history that year at a 5.13! With only 5 crew members to boot!

Gosh that Camaro is gorgeous, and the half track burnout followed with a back up girl..... Awesome. I think there was dry hop in there too.

While at Indy I ran into Bruce at his Nostalgia car, I asked him what his budget was when he won the FC title in 1989. He told me $280,000! I was like...are you serious? Kenny Bernstein was getting at least a Mil. Per year from Bud, no idea what Force was getting from Castrol then. But I was stunned that he could run 19 races for $15,000 per, considering he had the fastest FC pass in history that year at a 5.13! With only 5 crew members to boot!

Tim must have been working cheap.....

I remember coming back to Arkansas from Pomona in about 85 or maybe 86 and passing Bruce out in the desert. Old Chevy dually and a Chaparral trailer, probably about a 36 footer or so. The times have sure changed.

I remember Bruce just seemed to be on a roll that didn't stop for the entire year.
Tim Richards was the best in the biz back then IMO. The Amato team was always in the semis or the finals without much problem. Tim was the best on consistent, engine healthy clean runs.
So, given that tune up, Maynard did a hell of a job keeping that car silly consistent.
Add to the fact that Bruce won a LOT of prize money that year to sustain his budget.

According to Robert C Post's excellent book "The Culture and Technology of Drag Racing 1950-1990", In 1989 when Larson won the championship, the money he received from Sentry Tachs and Gauges was the largest line item in the firm's budget.

Gosh that Camaro is gorgeous, and the half track burnout followed with a back up girl..... Awesome. I think there was dry hop in there too.

During this year's summers The timing of the backup girl out there while Joe Castello & Derrick Beach talk about the Mello Yello Winners festivities after the races and Joe says "Derrick will be down there" and Derrick says "Ooh baby that's enough to come right there yourself" and I immediately thought "Double Entendre..." with the timing that being said. Derrick then said "well not really" and Joe says "you did a good job this weekend..." It was bad lol

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back