Bruce Larson / FC match racing (1 Viewer)

mick

Nitro Member
http://competitionplus.com/drag-rac...nce-offers-affordable-peek-back-glory-days-of

great article here from comp plus about bruce larson and a few other FC's trying to find interest
in bookings for their 'style' of nostagia FC racing.

if there was a track near me (and there's not) who did bookings like this, i'd attend every one of them.
i would love to see these cars.....long burnouts, dry hops, flames licking in the nite.....that is FC racing.

if someone said, go to this big show event and you will be guaranteed to see the 8 fastest FC et's ever (seattle)
or
go see the FC's as described in this article.
i'd see the old style FC's in a second....entertainment value 10 fold.

maybe moderator could move this thread to nostalgia section; tried, couldn't figure out how.

Apples and oranges, IMO at least. I go to the big show races to see, The Big Show. And it's not just the fuel cars, it's the whole deal. But I also would absolutely go to my local track on a Saturday night to watch a Bruce type show. Just different shows, and different ticket prices as well.

I'm really surprised the tracks haven't caught on. Its probably a dollars and cents issue again. The promotors probably don't see fans enjoying that form of pure nitro racing and for what would pay for that type of nitro car, they can get 2-3 alky cars...sad,,,really sad

i prefer apples.....i grew up on apples, apples were the absolute BEST!, then the apple tree died, and have been settling
for various strains of oranges for many, many years.....oranges aren't bad, but man, do i ever miss apples.
i guess there's just a few really good apple trees on the east coast....damn those folks are lucky.

I'm really surprised the tracks haven't caught on. Its probably a dollars and cents issue again. The promotors probably don't see fans enjoying that form of pure nitro racing and for what would pay for that type of nitro car, they can get 2-3 alky cars...sad,,,really sad
Other than on this site, the interest really isn't there. The past is just that, the past. Its bracket races, street car racing, Jets, etc. that make tracks money these days. I too grew up around all that stuff, but I wouldn't step all over myself to go to a nostalgia show at any of my local tracks. Bruce Larson doing a smoky burnout, to me, is a) not worth a ticket and b) definitely not going to scratch any racing itch. Our sport (like all sports) has evolved. I don't see it as an investment with any kind of ROI for a race track.

If it was thought to be potentially successful, it would already be happening. Tracks have found many other ways to make profit these days. Big $$ bracket races, Mud Runs, Food Truck events, Color Runs, Bull Runs, Holiday lighting, etc. Since drag racing doesn't necessarily provide Track Operators the revenue it once did, they've moved on. IMO, Bringing in "old" cars isn't gonna improve that.

I love anything nitro. But i really think they are fighting an uphill battle when they hope to book in cars that are slower than some of the door cars that pay to race. The noise.smoke and flames need to go along with fast to draw attention IMHO.

I love anything nitro. But i really think they are fighting an uphill battle when they hope to book in cars that are slower than some of the door cars that pay to race. The noise.smoke and flames need to go along with fast to draw attention IMHO.

I beg to differ.The Meltdown Nationals drew over 15,000 recently in Byron, IL. Reunions and other Nostalgia events are popping up all over the country, so there still may be a market for Mr. Larson's venture. Whether it is sustainable over time is another question.

But nothing venture, nothing gained.

I beg to differ.The Meltdown Nationals drew over 15,000 recently in Byron, IL. Reunions and other Nostalgia events are popping up all over the country, so there still may be a market for Mr. Larson's venture. Whether it is sustainable over time is another question.

Gino I think you should listen to Mark White I believe he has ran those type of cars on more than one race -

I have the utmost respect for Mr. White. Anyone associated with Mr. Frank Ousley is alright in my book.

While out eating my lunch just now I remember the Hough Family with "Nanook" and Ron Hope with "Rat Trap" having what appears as a successful Match Racing program in place. I think they were just in the UK last month match racing against some local guys.

Why can't Mr. Larson have some success too?

Last edited:
I hate going to the Hot rod reunion and the March Meet because of the really big crowds. Having to park out on the road a mile from the track. Hope Bruce can give the tracks some affordable nitro. Need to remember though, the new blood is not very nitro happy. They are door car folks. Grudge, lights out, is what is packing the tracks now.

I hope Bruce and Rocky's guys can make it work. I talked to Bruce about it at Bowling Green this year and he is giving it his all. Just because it's not my cup of tea doesn't really mean much at all.

lot of good comments about what draws and what doesn't.....can't imagine what bruce and co. are trying to do can be very easy......lots of options for track owners and i agree, i don't think the youth will ever be hooked on nitro like most of us were/are.

Just goes to show how expensive things have gotten. Hard to get 64 of any type of cars to show up anymore. Even Comp's biggest event, Indy, used to have 100 cars try to qualify for the Indy-only 64 car show. They've come close but missed having 64 the past few years. And I'm not talking super class cars, obviously. Aside from modern day costs, it's also curious as to why there aren't more multi-guy (or girl) teams like back in the day.

15,000 spectators??...after a recent long conversation with someone very respected in the business, I would find that hard to believe.

Aside from modern day costs, it's also curious as to why there aren't more multi-guy (or girl) teams like back in the day.
Because back then, usually, one guy owned the car, another guy owned the engine, and a third guy drove it.

You would sometimes also see those names get shuffeled around from week to week.

15,000 spectators??...after a recent long conversation with someone very respected in the business, I would find that hard to believe.

I am going off of a published article out of the local rag. Note it says 12,000 spectators, but does not say anything about how many participates.

http://www.rrstar.com/sports/20160717/officials-say-meltdown-drags-was-best-ever-at-byron-dragway

The guys out here in California from the Famoso Speed Shop went and took two car with them. The second year in a row for them,

Not to sound too sarcastic but there is way more drag racing going on than what you see on TV.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back