A-fuel TAFC (1 Viewer)

I remember that car. No love lost between him & the alky cars, but he was .2 quicker than the alky cars. If NHRA would "take the gloves off" with current T/AD, the nitro cars would be quicker. I could see a C screw blower alky car going 5.10, or 5.05, but the nitro cars could run 4.90's w/ no sweat. I think I read somewhere that injected nitro would be about .7 slower than blown nitro. Would be interesting to see what alky & injected nitro could so w/o restrictions, but $$$ wise, forget it.

I was one to lobby for A/Fuel FCs to be allowed again in TAFC, until a good point was brought up, that is would it really grow the class by adding new players, or just cause some alky cars to jump to the fuel combo? That's unfortunately the more likely scenario, and to me that would not be worth it. The blown alky FCs are absolutely some of the most badass cars in the sport, where the driver is very much involved, much like Pro Stock.

I don't have a rule book but what's the chance of a Injected car jumping into a AA/FC show with a short field.

Got to see that car run at the Epping national event, it was very cool.

One thing I heard was that the reason it was never allowed in NHRA TA/FC was because the divisionals didn't have the personnel/equipment to handle a nitro f/c fire. Of course this was before the internet and could have been complete hogwash, but that is what the "talk in the stands" was.

Tony, even if it met weight, safety and every other requirement? Because really it would be at a huge disadvantage, but could be a spoiler.
Nope. The class is specifically reserved for supercharged, nitro-burning cars (same as Top Fuel).

Once IHRA let injected nitro dragsters run T/F and they were allowed to run nitrous. Some of the A/FD did qualify but I don't think anyone ever ran nitrous. Would have been interesting, but even an 8 stage nitrous system & 99% in today's cars wouldn't equal the power of a blown nitro engine.

Way back in the 1970's, I would see blown alky F/C qualify in a 16 car nitro show, especially in the hot summer at OCIR. Saw Dale Armstrong in the Alcoholic do that once. Sometimes they would get past Rd 1, cuz the nitro cars would be backed off for the hot conditions. Talk about a bad to the bone alky car, the Alcoholic was just that. Yep, even badder than Bad Brad Anderson. heh

Once IHRA let injected nitro dragsters run T/F and they were allowed to run nitrous. Some of the A/FD did qualify but I don't think anyone ever ran nitrous. Would have been interesting, but even an 8 stage nitrous system & 99% in today's cars wouldn't equal the power of a blown nitro engine.

Way back in the 1970's, I would see blown alky F/C qualify in a 16 car nitro show, especially in the hot summer at OCIR. Saw Dale Armstrong in the Alcoholic do that once. Sometimes they would get past Rd 1, cuz the nitro cars would be backed off for the hot conditions. Talk about a bad to the bone alky car, the Alcoholic was just that. Yep, even badder than Bad Brad Anderson. heh
I remember reading ND about Armstrong doing that, and I believe he did it while adding nitrous to the mix.

I dunno about nitrous. Would not be surprised if he ran 10% nitro. I usta hear stories that the team would run outrageous alky numbers, then turned out they had a little "pop" in the tank. Our Mater nitrous gurus have said alky & nitrous don't do well. ? There was a blown alky F/C on nitrous, Ricky Ruiz, Nevada Rattler (??) ran AHRA. Saw him at Tucson once when the old Tucson track was AHRA. He actually out qualified Tom McEwen, and AHRA did some bogus rule change so The Goose could get in the show. That was the year when the track operator had used some type of sealant on the track surface & it killed the traction. Don Garlits won T/F over Gene Snow, ran 6.12. This was the early 1980's & I had moved form Calif to AZ. Was so excited to go to the Tucson track & see my heroes, like Garlits, The Greek, Snake, McEwen, Shirley, LaHaie, and whoever else was there.

Don't understand why everyone is concerned with NHRA. Put together a traveling circus of 8 or more injected nitro funnycars running Chicago style eliminations on Saturday nights at tracks around the country. Would cost less than blown nitro cars, and would have it all, noise, flame, etc.

The reason I asked about running Injected in Big Shows was because.
Back in the late 70s we ran BB/FC in Div. 3 points meets on occasion in AA/FC. We would make 1 or 2 rounds even loosing in 1st. round paid = to winning in ProComp.
Also we did it sometimes at Union Grove shows.

One year IHRA (I think at Norwalk) allowed a few alcohol funny cars to run against the AA/FCs in order to complete a full field. This was done to put on a good show rather than have a bunch of singles.

Can you imagine the uproar if an injected car somehow pulled off an upset of a big show FC?

Back in the late 1990's I was part of the group running TA/FC asking NHRA about allowing A/FC. I would have made the switch. Bucky was a proponent as well. We gave them all the good reasons why it would be popular and good for the class. I won't name names but the crying began and NHRA decided they didn't want to have two different car combinations in the same class with all the belly-aching that was going on at the time in TAD when many were switching over from blown alchohol to A/Fuel. Back then Jay Payne said the reason he switched from TAD to TA/FC was because of the parity issue between the two combinations. It'll never happen.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back