Would NHRA benefit from NFL lockout? (1 Viewer)

I thoroughly enjoy a good NFL game but as for the players' salaries, sorry, but I can't go there. They are some of the most overpaid crybabies on the planet, worse than Wall Street CEO's. Maybe the team owners should just fire 'em all and tap the CFL for replacements. And I can think of a few owners who need the boot right along with the players.

That won't happen of course, but it wouldn't offend me at all if it did. And no, the NHRA doesn't need the same thing.

no to both

nfl did not lose fans to nascar when nascar was peaking
nascar will not gain fans if nfl stumbles.
nascar's health is reflection of it's own merits, same as any organization

the nhra is not mainstream - any disturbance to a mainstream sport will
not have a ripple effect to a minor niche' sport

Last edited:
I know we are not NASCAR but we seem to have a lot of similarities (read copy cat :) ) This article asks an interesting question..

On Pit Road: Why NASCAR Needs The NFL And NBA To Have A Lockout

What do you think?

Yes, because the NHRA has the drama, excitement, and the race cars that make people say WOW. I live in LA market area an I can tell you that we need to step up the PR for the Winternationals, Laker basketball is unaffortable, it is the most affortable event to come watch where unblieveable happens. Radio spots, Get 2, 4, and 7 to do a spot from out at Pomona. Put the NHRA on display at the LA Convention before the race. We have to toot our horn very loud in this town but it can be done. With 60th year of operation we should be having a party.

Last edited:
If you limit options those that remain benifit. If there are no NFL games on TV the choice to stay home and watch the game is gone, so going to the Drags gets another look.

Alan

If you limit options those that remain benifit. If there are no NFL games on TV the choice to stay home and watch the game is gone, so going to the Drags gets another look.

Alan

or boating, fishing, snowmobiling, mowing grass, plowing snow........
or watching the network replacement sport because you're a couch potatoe
who happens to prefer nfl football :rolleyes:
maybe the nbc sunday nite football viewers mite catch some nhra; have
to verse john well in football lingo when he gets the mic. ;)

Last edited:
Football overlaps the NHRA season by only three of it's nine months. Not clear why this has any kind of ripple effect.

Football overlaps the NHRA season by only three of it's nine months. Not clear why this has any kind of ripple effect.

I know I am going to regret this but the article pointed out that the overlap would be during the chase .......or countdown :)
There would at least be a possibility of drawing in fans according to some.

Drawing in new fans from other sports self destruction is not enough ... got to do something to keep them. The NFL is probably the only league in America that can absorb a lost season and not skip a beat. (see 1981 and 1987)

NHRA and NASCAR racing are both a nich market.. NASCAR just happens to be alittle more bigger than the NHRA... NASCARs growth was due to the "band wagon effect".. "my buddies going so i will".. and it saw huge growth... but now its suffering from that growth.. its lost most of that "band wagon" fan base and in the process to capitolize on it at the time NASCAR alienated its long term fans and many of those have left it...

NHRA and drag racing as a whole needs a growth spurt to continue a certin amount stability.. it doesn't need a huge jump like NASCAR had... either way i dont see growth in spectator or viewers in drag racing or NASCAR from a NFL lock out... two totaly different crowds. if drag racing stopped for a while would you go to a chess tournament? i think not..

who will benifit are the advertisers within the NFL.... they will get a huge savings on not having to pay bills during the walk out... and no they wont spend them in other places they will just leave it in the bank and make some interest off the funds...

Don't you think that when we race in Dallas (as an example) if the Cowboy's are playing on TV that many will be staying home Sunday, watching the game and won't even think doing anything else. But if the Cowboy's aren't on TV then "What do you want to do today?" becomes a real question. Are all the NFL fans going to come running to us? Of course not, but we will almost certainly get some consideration from those that now have nothing to do.

Alan

I thoroughly enjoy a good NFL game but as for the players' salaries, sorry, but I can't go there. They are some of the most overpaid crybabies on the planet, worse than Wall Street CEO's. Maybe the team owners should just fire 'em all and tap the CFL for replacements. And I can think of a few owners who need the boot right along with the players.

That won't happen of course, but it wouldn't offend me at all if it did. And no, the NHRA doesn't need the same thing.

They tried this once. Remember the "replacement players?" We were "treated" to some of the most gawd-awful football I'd ever seen. I watched one quarter of one game, and turned it off. Plus, I'm not certain the players would hold out for an entire season. After a month or so of no paychecks, I've a feeling many would fold and cross the line. Especially since the average length of a pro career is 3 1/2 years. Their "Day In The Sun" isn't all that long, and they gotta make the money whilst they can. I predict a short lockout for that reason.

Last edited:
who will benifit are the advertisers within the NFL.... they will get a huge savings on not having to pay bills during the walk out... and no they wont spend them in other places they will just leave it in the bank and make some interest off the funds...

Here is why there will be no NFL lockout in my humble opinion. The NFL's TV contract guarantees them full payment for next season, EVEN IF THERE IS NO FOOTBALL. The TV networks quickly realized what they had done, and started demanding guarantees from advertisers such as Visa and Coors Light. There is no way in hell that these publicly traded, multi-national corporations are going to funnel BILLIONS of dollars to the NFL owners with no product and no return on investment. You can expect that right now, ABC/ESPN/Disney and NBC Universal are ratcheting up the pressure and will continue to do so to ensure a deal gets worked out.

The NBA, however, has no such guarantees, the league has over expanded and the owners have long wanted to crush the players union. There will be an NBA lockout, there will likely be 2 less NBA teams after the lockout and the owners will stay away from the negotiating table as long as they possibly can. 70% of the leagues players went BROKE during the last NBA lockout in '99, and that only lasted 4 months. Expect this one to last much longer with much more devastating affects for the players.

Don't you think that when we race in Dallas (as an example) if the Cowboy's are playing on TV that many will be staying home Sunday, watching the game and won't even think doing anything else.

Not necessarily. :(
That's what a 1-7 start and an almost universally disliked owner will do for you.

David, you make a good point about the lousy football we were treated to back then. Maybe it'd be better just to let 'em sit it out, come to think of it.

.......Are all the NFL fans going to come running to us? Of course not, but we will almost certainly get some consideration from those that now have nothing to do...........

have to agree that if this scenario did play out, you can guarantee that
nhra, nascar, the chess champions league or whoever was in town would
promote the hell out of their event knowing the potential availability of
multi-thousands of (cowboys) fans

During the Fall Races I'm sure NHRA would get a bump on attendance should the NFL be in Lockout! I'll tell you what would really be helped is College Football! I bet viewership there would go through the roof!

Here is why there will be no NFL lockout in my humble opinion. The NFL's TV contract guarantees them full payment for next season, EVEN IF THERE IS NO FOOTBALL. The TV networks quickly realized what they had done, and started demanding guarantees from advertisers such as Visa and Coors Light. There is no way in hell that these publicly traded, multi-national corporations are going to funnel BILLIONS of dollars to the NFL owners with no product and no return on investment. You can expect that right now, ABC/ESPN/Disney and NBC Universal are ratcheting up the pressure and will continue to do so to ensure a deal gets worked out.

The NBA, however, has no such guarantees, the league has over expanded and the owners have long wanted to crush the players union. There will be an NBA lockout, there will likely be 2 less NBA teams after the lockout and the owners will stay away from the negotiating table as long as they possibly can. 70% of the leagues players went BROKE during the last NBA lockout in '99, and that only lasted 4 months. Expect this one to last much longer with much more devastating affects for the players.

yeah i agree majior networks have done that.. but also check and you will find many companys are doing their advertising on the local level through cable and dish providers for the areas allowing them to get in on those broadcasts at a lower rate.. majior companys not just small time local busines.. thats the money i ment that can be held back and saved.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back