I think what the NHRA needs is... (1 Viewer)

Rich

Nitro Member
...a satellite radio contract with XM or Sirius. The NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL all have contracts with one of the two satellite networks, as does NASCAR and the IRL. So why not the NHRA?

I have XM and have really enjoyed their coverage of NASCAR and the NHL. Wouldn't it be great if we had full radio coverage of the Powerade and Lucas Oil Series race events? And if the channel had a few drag racing programs during the week that would be icing on the cake.

Better Make it Sirius.They are out selling XM like 3-1.XM has had to change their forecast of sales and subscribers 2 times this year to lower nimbers.And Sirius has NASCAR come 2007.I believe without NASCAR noe XM is on it;s way out....A bunch of truckers will be changing for sure....

I was just saying this a week ago. I am considering getting satellite radio. I am leaning toward XM radio at this point. If one or the other could bring on drag racing broadcasts, that would rock.

We need to start a petition. NHRA, partner up with one of the sat radio companies for the 2007 season.

Eathon, Sirus will do anything they can to be #1 but at what cost. They mid year statement was very good till you read the whole thing and realize that they wont survive in the current business mode. Neither XM or Sirus are making money. Down the road they will probably go the way of cable tv with different package.

Personally, I would never pay monthly for radio, but then again, I have MP3 in all my vehicles, so thats what I listen to. It would be a great thing for those that do subscribe though.....

Personally, I would never pay monthly for radio, but then again, I have MP3 in all my vehicles, so thats what I listen to. It would be a great thing for those that do subscribe though.....

As Mike English knows, I have been a SIRIUS subscriber for the past two years. Which ever service one prevails, and I'm sure SIRIUS will, it'll change the way you listen to radio. $12.95 a month is absolutely worth it for so many reasons!

SIRIUS Speedway (123) is a strong 3 hour motorsports show - it's on every weekday, but is now featuring primarily NASCAR since the series moves to SIRIUS in January 2007.

I think what NHRA needs is an enema from top management on down to a few levels lower. :D

i thought that also,then my son gifted me a sirius sportster...it changed the way i listen to radio....can't live without it...no amount of cd's or mp3's could replace those 120 or so channels . though i was dissappointed that they prostituted themselves with howard stern.

Like I said Darr, at what price. I also said that I wouldnt pay for radio but now that we XM, I love it. The only problem I have is that its in my wife's car so I dont get to listen that often.

Actually both Sirus and XM are in deep financial doo-doo. Both stocks have taken a really bad haircut this year. In order for them to survive they will probably have to merge. An article yesterday or the day before in the financial press thought neither one will make it unless they drastically change their business model.

In any event having the NHRA on either won't do squat for their current financial woes. With the NHRA on TV pretty much a ratings bust, considering their shows get bumped/delayed for most anything else, how could the NHRA following add much to either companies bottom line?

Aside from all that what the NHRA needs is leadership in management to figure out how to change the program/rules to enable live TV. Until this happens the NHRA on TV has no chance to expand the viewing audience. Everyone and his brother knows the results of the races before the taped delay starts. With the Internet, same day or same decade coverage doesn't make all that much difference. It's either live or in the same league as bass fishing or tape delayed darts.

Last edited:
Actually both Sirus and XM are in deep financial doo-doo. Both stocks have taken a really bad haircut this year. In order for them to survive they will probably have to merge. An article yesterday or the day before in the financial press thought neither one will make it unless they drastically change their business model.

I wouldnt understand why you would need to change your business model since your not making any money. NEWSFLASH TO MGMT:
WHY DID YOU GIVE HOWARD STERN $600 MILLION???
I could be off some, but wasnt it something like that?
Thats absurd. They deserve to go broke for that. Thats one of the worst business deals ever. I am sure that even floored Stern when they offered him that. I would have jumped all over it too.

NHRA & Sirius sounds good to me!

Mike, I am not sure about XM, but you can tune in Sirius anywhere you have access to a PC. I listen all day at work, and would love to hear Alan and Bob on Sirius.

Spped Freaks is on there, and Bubba the Love Sponge talks about drag racing all of the time. if there weren't drag racing fans listening, he wouldn't talk about it. Just don't bring up Castrol...

Pretty much the same for XM. You can't get all the channels but there are many that you can get on your PC which is included in the price of the subscription.

I am a long time XM listener and word on the street [ wall street ] is there will soon be one radio satellite company soon and a merger is coming .
To add to the mix the TV satellite companies are carrying the programing along with the TV programing and soon you will receive all that programing as easy as you now listen to XM , Sirius.
In other words the satellite radio days are numbered anyway.

Yeah, I've heard that Sirius and/or XM is being carried on some satellite/cable systems. I don't necessarily think that spells doom for satellite radio, though. In fact it might actually have the effect of increasing the availability and thus the popularity of satellite radio.

The nice thing about satellite radio is that because of the large number of channels available it allows for targeting of specific audiences, even if they are small. For instance, the satellite radio I subscribe to, XM, has specific channels that specialize in various music styles like blues, reggie, folk, or bluegrass - all of which have smaller audiences than other more popular music styles. Even though drag racing may not be as popular with the general public as NASCAR, it seems to me that it could still find an audience if it was available on one of the satellite networks.

Even if they merge they will have to change. Like I said before, you probably see them go to cable tv type of package with different channels in your packages.

I have XM mainly for the hockey channel. I pretty much listen to it exclusively. If there was a drag racing channel on top of that?
OMG!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back