Doug Kalitta Interview (1 Viewer)

J. S.

Nitro Member
This post is a bit late, but this past Wednesday the 13th I was listening to Sirius/XM NASCAR channel 90 and during the afternoon Dave Moody show, of all things, he had a good interview with Doug Kalitta about his recent NHRA Top Fuel Championship. I did not hear the build-up to this, so I don't know why Dave ended up interviewing one of "our guys" on his NASCAR show. But at any rate it was a good interview and it dawned on me that other than the usual brief top-end interviews after a pass, I don't ever think I have heard a long-form interview with Doug before. The guy is so soft spoken and modest and he doesn't seek the spotlight. So this was a pleasant surprise. Anyone else happen to catch this?

I listen to Dave Moody on and off everyday. He's also a Nhra fan, he usually goes to the Charlotte race. He's good friends with Ron Capps and he's been on the show multiple times. Heard him interview John Force once. He was on the starting line a guest of Clay Millican and Rick Ware, maybe one of the Charlotte races this year? He was acknowleged by Alan Reinhart I think before the run. Wednesday the 13th Doug brought his dragster to Ohio to one of the Nascar teams shops and Dave interviewed him by phone.

Last edited:
I’m sorry I missed this. But to me, it’s absolutely appropriate for him to be featured on a NASCAR program. He’s a crossover guy, just as much as Tony Stewart. Some people are still relatively unfamiliar with Doug’s driving days before 1998. Besides his USAC Sprint Car championship, he also raced in a few ARCA stock car races as well….stepping stones into the NASCAR and Busch worlds. He was right there back with Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Sammy Swindel and a lot of the NASCAR names…. back where they all got their start in racing… on the dirt roundys.
I truly believe that Doug could have easily progressed up into the Cup series; it’s just that drag racing presented a lot more readily available opportunities for him. He’s a good man and I’m proud to be a long-time supporter and follower!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back