Interview with 240 Gordie Bonin (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
Gordie is coming to our Winter Rod and Speed Show on January 23 in Albany OR. We decided to do an interview to promote the event. You can read it at Cap Racing Home Page This is the first interview I've ever done so cut me a little slack. :eek:

You don't need any slack. Great interview of a great racer.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

Don't forget to ask him about his and Jerry Verheul's foray into turbocharged nitro motos in the early eightiies, in their Flo-Rite Trans Ams.

That could be an interesting story. Maybe you could ask him whether it would have changed things for the turbo car if they'd had access to the "tuneable" clutch technology we have today.

That car made so much power that it seemed that no matter what they did, it just blew the tires off... a real HOSS!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I don't know if that was a chapter of the Pacemaker history that Gordie was all that involved in, but I could be wrong. What I really wish I could have expanded on more was if the competition is tougher today than yesterday and i think in some ways it was and in some ways it wasn't. Overall he was very candid but that's Gordie for you.

Great piece, Rich! Gordie will always be my favorite funny car driver. Everything that I`ve ever read or heard about the turbo motor was that it was Jerrys baby, not so much Gordies. Jerry Verheul was definitely taken from this earth much too soon! Wished you could`ve gotten into more about the short term deals that came his way after Bubble-Up....Flo-Rite, Hawaiian Vacation ("the checks stopped coming" is what he told me one time) and even why he was replaced by Bazemore in the Smokin` Joes car.

Gordie wasn't replaced by Bazemore, the whole team was replaced by Bazemore. Bazemore owned his own team at the time and got the contract over Candies and Hughes. But good point i would have liked to have gotten into the Hawaiian cars but time was a factor.

Yep, you`re right. I forgot that Candies & Hughes were owners the two years Gordie drove the Smokin` Joes car.

Yep, you`re right. I forgot that Candies & Hughes were owners the two years Gordie drove the Smokin` Joes car.
Candies and Hughes lost the Motorcraft sponsorship in the early 90's, Mark Oswald went race with the Bill Schultz and the Over the Hill Gang (In and Out Burger car), Paul Candies took time off, and Leonard Hughes became the crew chief for Roland Leong and Gordie Bonin in the "Hawaiin Vacation" car. As stated, eventually the checks stopped coming, and Roland parked the car. Paul Candies secured the Smokin' Joe's deal for the '94 and '95 seasons, and they kept Bonin as their driver. Bazemore took over the Smokin' Joes deal in '96 and C&H retired from competiton.

Thanks Lance. I had just forgotten about C&H going away after Gordies second year. I loved that Hawaiian Vacation Dodge! That car ran really well the short time it was out there.

Don't forget to ask him about his and Jerry Verheul's foray into turbocharged nitro motos in the early eightiies, in their Flo-Rite Trans Ams.

That could be an interesting story. Maybe you could ask him whether it would have changed things for the turbo car if they'd had access to the "tuneable" clutch technology we have today.

That car made so much power that it seemed that no matter what they did, it just blew the tires off... a real HOSS!!!!!!!!

Bottem of this page

Phill Elliott Horsepower Heaven

Thanks for the post William. I thought that I remembered most everything from that era of racing, but have zero recollection of that car with that setup. Very, very cool, wish it would have worked out for them.

Willam,

Thanks a bunch for that really interesting story about the experimental Jerry Verheul fuel motors.

I was fortunate enough to get to see one of the Flo-Rite turbo cars run at Fremont, and it made awesome power....

Too bad NHRA has tunnel vision when it comes to innovation, now.

Just one of the things that will ultimately kill them, IMHO.

Thanks for that link. Seeing the name Ron Henderson jogged my memory - who was the guy from Canada that ran a turbo Hemi TF car in the 80's ?
Same deal, would always blow the tires off.

Mark.

I saw them run the funny car in Portland in 1981 and later the dragster in Spokane with Rick White driving it. It was cool but not as spectacular as the blown cars but it was really quiet as I remember. It could be an alternative to noise issues if it ever comes to that. But I prefer the loud pop.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back