I think what the NHRA needs is... (1 Viewer)

Hockey was the main reason I started listening to XM as well. But I soon found that there was a lot of good stuff on the other channels too. For my tastes, if they would add the WHL and some drag racing I would be in radio heaven.

I have XM now and would love it if NHRA started to broadcast live events. Oh wait that means I would still have to listen to Paul........nevermind! :(

What would they talk about between sessions of pro racing? I guess they could mic Force for that time! I really don't think this would sell, ESPN is bad enough with pictures, much less just sound.

With radio, I would think the announcers would cover all classes and not just the pros. There would also be more time for interviews with racers, tuners, etc. And on weekends when there were no pro races they could cover a Lucas Oil Series race.

To be sure, the appeal would be to the die hard drag racing fan. But many of the other channels on satellite radio are geared to a particular set of die hard fans as well.

With radio, I would think the announcers would cover all classes and not just the pros. There would also be more time for interviews with racers, tuners, etc. And on weekends when there were no pro races they could cover a Lucas Oil Series race.

To be sure, the appeal would be to the die hard drag racing fan. But many of the other channels on satellite radio are geared to a particular set of die hard fans as well.

They could even just have the tower feed. Only die-hard fans are going to listen and that would be great to most.

I've been "beating this drum" for about two years now !!
We need satrllite radio coverage and preferably XM Radio. I contacted NHRAheadquarters and was told the ESPN contract didn't allow it.
Perhaps if enough people contacted ESPN they would allow the same feed you get online.
I'd sure like to have it on satellite radio.....:)

Same story, different concept...

The trouble with NHRA and live broadcasting is still the nature of drag racing itself. While it's safe to say that the majority of the people here would likely tune in, there simply aren't enough "hardcore" fans to warrant any type of live feed. NHRA has played second fiddle to NASCAR for years now, and the primary reason is that NASCAR has pretty much evolved into "sports entertainment", similar to "pro" wrestling. Unless and until NHRA embraces this concept (please, NO!), then drag racing will continue to suffer lower ratings than NASCAR (which I cannot watch).

Let's look at the Memphis coverage, for example... who actually stayed up until 1AM on a weeknight to catch the finals? I didn't (ESPN2 had it still listed as some poker nonsense on the program guide!), and a lot of other people didn't either. What's the answer? Good question, but that's for another thread.

There IS room on satellite radio for drag racing, but the hard facts are that the sport itself is in trouble, and a radio deal isn't going to fix it either. The poster who suggested a top-down enema for management is on the right track...

As seen on another thread, there is a show on XM 143 starting next week that will cover all forms of motorsports. Joe and Tom are big drag race guys and Alan Reinhart will contribute weekly. Also heard but not confirmed that John Force will be the first guest on the show.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back