NHRA Not on the Map (1 Viewer)

clwill

Nitro Member
I participate in surveys from YouGov, one of the national polling firms. Just got a survey that asked:

Which of these sports leagues are you aware of? Check all that apply.

• NFL Football
  • NBA Basketball
  • MLB Baseball
  • NHL Hockey
  • NCAA Men's Basketball
  • NCAA College Football
  • PGA Golf
  • NASCAR
  • IRL Indy Racing
  • Major League Soccer
  • English Premier League Soccer
  • PBA Bowling
  • Professional Boxing
  • UFC – Mixed Martial Arts
  • PBR Bull Riding
  • ATP Men's Tennis
  • WTA Women's Tennis
  • Action Sports (Dew Tour, X Games)
  • WNBA Women's Basketball
  • Rugby (any professional league)
  • MLL or NLL Professional Lacrosse
  • Olympics (Summer/Winter)
  • Horse Racing
  • Marathons (New York, Chicago, London, Boston, Berlin)

Notice anything missing? Lacrosse, Bowling, Bull Riding, Rugby... but not...

And they call themselves a polling company......:rolleyes:

My first job out of college was at a market research company. We did lots of polls like this. What typically happened was that the client would list off all the firms they considered as competitors, and that was the basis for lists like this. Given the rest of this questionnaire, (which was all about perceptions of the various leagues, how often you watched their events, how you watched them and so on), my assumption is that the client was one of those listed above.

And there's the rub. Whoever it is among those listed there, they don't consider NHRA a competitor for "your entertainment dollar" (to quote AR). They didn't even have an "Other: <fill in the blank>" choice.

:(

Wonder how F-1 fans feel.

Sprints aren't on there, Monster truck and motorcross. X-games quite a few other relavent sports as well

AMA Monster SuperCross wasn't on there either, but they seem to be doing pretty good. I just went to a race Sat night at Anaheim Stadium and the place was sold out. Plus they had 4 hours of air time on speed. There was even 5 Nhra drivers there hanging out.

While that may not have been a very complete list we should all realize drag racing appeals to a very small niche of fans. Therre is so much competion for the entainment dollar and only so many dollars to go around. We've seen the decline of attendance at national events and certainly that can be attributed in no small part to the economy but the competion for the fans gets stronger every year.

Go to any divisional race or weekend event and you'll see very few in the stands, most of which are somehow related to someone participating. Look at the limited number of viewers on the telecast. There is a reason NHRA pays for the telecast and that's limited and declining fan interest.

Not today or tomorrow but slowly big show drag racing is evolving itself out of existence. Drag racing will always exist at the local level but we continue to eat through the list of potential sponsors and someday there won't be enough to go around for the big show events.

Nitro racers will always exist but I suspect there will be just a limited number who can afford to fund it out of their back pocket. We'll see the return to match racing with just a very few national events.

Well, that's what my crystal ball says but then it's a bit cracked and doesn't have a 100% accuracy rate.

I posted this to demonstrate quite vividly how the sport we love is marginalized, a "niche" if you will. People here and elsewhere bemoan the treatment we get on ESPN or the other media outlets, but this is the reason why. NHRA is simply not on the map.

I also posted this to show how out of our league the "chasing NASCAR" mentality is. So often we look to NASCAR or other pro sports for inspiration (the Countdown, for example), but we're simply not in the same ballpark. We're not even in the same ballpark, from a perception angle, as Major League Lacrosse (which I was unaware existed). In short, the hill NHRA has to climb is not "second only to NASCAR", but far bigger.

Finally, I challenge the "go to any divisional race and see how pathetic it is" perception. If anything, divisional races show how much potential there is, with the right efforts. In D6, there are divisional races that meet that description: few if any in the stands, and those are only there because they know a racer.

But at a Woodburn, Spokane, or Boise divisional, that is definitely NOT the case. The stands are filled with people, the spectator campers line the track, the concessionaires are doing good business. Why? Because the owners of those tracks put a bunch of effort into promoting the races, into making them fun for the spectator, and those tracks have a decades-long history of doing so. They do radio ads, they promote deals with local stores, they add features just for the fans (jets, nostalgia, and so on), and work hard to bring in the crowds. And they have the race on the same weekend every year, people plan for it. Each one of those tracks is at least 4 hours from an NHRA National Event track (Boise is 10), so if you want to see good drag racing, this is it.

What this shows is that you have to work to make it happen. The era of "if you build it they will come" is long gone. This is the era of 500 channels and nothing is on, the era of internet streaming beating out the movie theater, the era of skateboarding being a pro sport. You have to work to get people's attention. And at least here in D6, some track operators have shown it can be done. I would offer up the Baders at Norwalk as other examples of people who have shown it can be done as well.

Drag racing has a LOT of things going for it, and it's long past time we played to those strengths. Live drag racing is an experience you can't vaguely replicate at home, the sights, the smells, the sound are beyond nearly everyone's experience. There are hundreds of different types of cars, everything from grocery-getters to top fuel dragsters, something to appeal to everyone. There are hundreds of participants, from your buddy down the street to John Force, somewhere there's someone everyone can relate to. It's the only sport I know of where amateurs and pros compete on the same field on the same day. It's family friendly, something everyone can relate to -- who hasn't tried to beat that guy in the other lane to the on ramp...

I'm so sick of the "woe is me, drag racing is going to die" mentality, and especially the "all the environmentalists are killing the sport". That's all just excuses for failure to properly position and promote the sport.

</soapbox>

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back