WJ Will Not Be In Vegas (1 Viewer)

chop

Nitro Member
From WJ's facebook page

'To all of "our" diehard fans: We have decided to withdraw WJ's car from the Las Vegas race. We are down a couple of crew people to be able to physically and safely do what needs to be done. This decision was not easy'

I had heard about this yesterday and it really caught me by surprise. Do I blame WJ,no I don't,it comes a time when the benefit outweighs the cost. As far as I know WJ has been running on his own dime for a while now. He has nothing to prove to me or anybody else. I'm sure the drive and desire is as great as it ever has been but without sponsor $$$$$$,it's hard to keep up. I read an article about the NASCAR teams are really struggling to find sponsor $$$$. WJ isn't quitting but I don't really know what the future holds but he is and always will be the Professor Of P/S.

I'm sure the drive and desire is as great as it ever has been but without sponsor $$$$$$,it's hard to keep up. I read an article about the NASCAR teams are really struggling to find sponsor $$$$. WJ isn't quitting but I don't really know what the future holds but he is and always will be the Professor Of P/S.

And without performance, WJ will not get sizable sponsorship $$$$$. IMO, the best thing that WJ could do is focus on finding the horsepower/setup and put a young gun in the seat.

I know, he'll never do that....then again, it's just my opinion. ;)

From WJ's facebook page

'To all of "our" diehard fans: We have decided to withdraw WJ's car from the Las Vegas race. We are down a couple of crew people to be able to physically and safely do what needs to be done. This decision was not easy'

I had heard about this yesterday and it really caught me by surprise. Do I blame WJ,no I don't,it comes a time when the benefit outweighs the cost. As far as I know WJ has been running on his own dime for a while now. He has nothing to prove to me or anybody else. I'm sure the drive and desire is as great as it ever has been but without sponsor $$$$$$,it's hard to keep up. I read an article about the NASCAR teams are really struggling to find sponsor $$$$. WJ isn't quitting but I don't really know what the future holds but he is and always will be the Professor Of P/S.

That is sad for a true legend of the sport. However not surprising since he retired at the end of 2005. :p

That is sad for a true legend of the sport. However not surprising since he retired at the end of 2005. :p

WJ did not retire,a misguided GM Racing rep retired him. That misguided rep lost their job that year but it's not known if the WJ Schools Out Tour was the cause. When the new rep came on board,he got a 3 year extension,imagine that.:D

WJ's lack of sponsorship isn't due to lack of performance. He's actually not that far off, and Kurt is usually in the thick of it. There's just not enough corporate money to go around. And what there is, at least for drag racing, is likely to go to a fuel car. IMO

WJ's lack of sponsorship isn't due to lack of performance. He's actually not that far off, and Kurt is usually in the thick of it. There's just not enough corporate money to go around. And what there is, at least for drag racing, is likely to go to a fuel car. IMO

I have to disagree, if WJ was winning 7-8 races a year like he used to somebody would find him!:rolleyes:

WJ's lack of sponsorship isn't due to lack of performance. He's actually not that far off....

I will not dig into the details of last year's results (finished 15th in points), but let's take this year so far:

Pomona - DNQ
Phoenix - Qualified 16th, out 1st round
Gainesville - DNQ

That "performance" is not going to get sponsor $$$!

WJ's perfomance is typically more than a tenth slower than the top cars, and to be honest, Kurt needs to find some perfomance too! Kurt's performance has mainly been due to his left foot, not what's under the hood.

Joe any potential sponsor that did 3 minutes of due diligence would realize how WJ would be back in the game with some funding. Again, IMO.

if the money is in place, i'd like nothing more than to see the johnson's
continue in PS, even if dad tunes and son drives......otherwise, how
long till we see one or both wearing someone else's colors?

I hope WJ races at E-town, especially the 30th Anniversary of his first win.

Do you think the professor would be able to be an employee instead of an employer?? I don't know. Somehow, I can't see it. Bob Glidden tried, and it didn't work out so well. I see Warren cut from the same independent-streak-a-mile-wide cloth.

Kurt, on the other hand, I could see it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back