Where are the Torrences? (1 Viewer)

They appealled because they could, it's a remedy that's provided and probably would have allowed Steve to race last weekend while the rest was hashed out.

They appealled because they could, it's a remedy that's provided and probably would have allowed Steve to race last weekend while the rest was hashed out.

I get that, but I would think that the entire off-season, no matter how short it is, is more than enough time for the appeal to have been addressed.....

Sean D

So I'm still a little confused on this one. If he was still eligible to compete while the appeals process was in progress, why the argument that NHRA took too long for the decision? He could have raced either way. This isn't passing the smell test.

Last edited:
Quoting the NBC Sports article....

"But the social media onslaught – which picked up again when he was MIA this past weekend – and the speculation and rumors has admittedly taken a toll on the 36-year-old Kilgore, Texas, native.

“Honestly, it’s difficult,” Torrence said. “There’s been a lot of negative context that has been expressed on social media. And that’s the bad thing about social media. It gives everyone a voice, even the ones that don’t need one."

After I read that, I thought to myself, he definitely needs a PR person! Keep digging that hole Steve-O!

The problem in your playing in the N.H.R.A. sandbox!
They make the rules and since there are no other sandboxes to play in they run the shows they way they think they should be run.

If they N.H.R.A. had competition and the racers had another association and sectioning body where they could run things might be different.
We all know the stories about the other sectioning bodies that tried and failed over the last 50 years.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Maybe the Torrences will start their own sandbox. I am sure they would get support.

Don't you have to be registered by end of the day the Monday before the race. If so not getting it settle until Tuesday made it to late.

Don't you have to be registered by end of the day the Monday before the race. If so not getting it settle until Tuesday made it to late.

He could have raced even if it was unsettled. They could have registered two months ago. See my post above

As much as I want to buy Steve's story, I'm having a tough time doing so. Lets break this down:

1. The appeal does not mean that the racer cannot race.
2. Torrence tested in Phoenix one week before the Winternationals in Pomona, a short 5 hours away.
3. Torrence Racing left all of their rigs parked at Wild Horse, again, just 5 hours away from Pomona.
4. Generally upon concluding the pre-season Phoenix test, team members don't return home, as they pack-up and make way towards Pomona.
5. Steve, Billy and Kay fly in and out of the races via private jet the day before most races.

So to say that as of Tuesday evening they logistically couldn't make it to Pomona is most likely B.S. Worst case scenario is that all of the team personal flew home after the Phoenix test, they could have grabbed flights, or jumped in Billy's plane for that matter back to Phoenix, grabbed the rigs and been to Pomona late Wednesday, early Thursday. I don't believe that they ever had the intention of racing Pomona. Heck, were they ever even entered at Pomona?

This statement from Momma Kay explains a lot: "It was about trying to settle the appeal we filed with the NHRA on November the 29th. We didn’t want any unresolved issues going into the new season, but we had trouble getting (NHRA) to respond to our letter of appeal."
That is understandable. It would be one less thing to worry about while trying to race.
But, why did it take NHRA so long for this to be resolved? And why was it resolved only after the entry deadline had passed?
However, as Kevin Cook mentioned in his post above, we are only hearing one side of the story. As with anything, there are at least two sides to any story. And somewhere in between is the truth.

This just in.

Attachments

• hurt feelings.JPG
    hurt feelings.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 46
I had read the NBC story on Yahoo. I always find the comments posted by readers to be pretty entertaining. The comments after this article were pretty brutal. Yes, the whole incident in now overblown but I think it’s not the one incident that drives the continued PR problem. He wasn’t a class act when Brittany won, he wasn’t a class act when he said his father was ‘lucky’ to make the countdown and he of course showed no class with the Pomona incident. I’m afraid it’s just who he is and while some think every sport needs a bad boy, I watch for the Kalittas and Capps and Beckmans and Browns etc.

It could very well be that, though the Torrences may have agreed that there should be a punishment, they thought the level of punishment was unjust. I mean, come on, $25K? This is not the NBA where players are making multi millions. As far as the anger management, well, ok maybe but that could be a bit of a stretch as well. At any rate, I could see that if negotiations in the appeal process went south they may just say we are done...for now at least. If it took NHRA as long as Mamma is saying then it could easily come down to the wire. It is not a question of whether the could enter the race, it is a matter of if they would.

The Torrence’s not racing at Pomona had nothing to do with the new Countdown rules!! And the only people calling it the Billy Torrence rule are idiots that failed reading comprehension at school.
Go back to last year when Steve Torrence said he wonders how NHRA will explain the Countdown to fans if his dad can only attend a partial amount of regular season races and possibly come in and win the Championship. That is where the term came from.......

Go back to last year when Steve Torrence said he wonders how NHRA will explain the Countdown to fans if his dad can only attend a partial amount of regular season races and possibly come in and win the Championship. That is where the term came from.......

I get where the term came from, but obviously people that are using it now have no idea what the new rules are and that it has nothing to do with Billy's qualifying for the countdown last year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back