Where are the Torrences? (1 Viewer)

For those who actually detest the existence of the Capco Team at the drag strip I say this: Never underestimate the value of having someone to root against in a drag race. It is equally as valuable as having someone to root for. If I wanted to watch a racing series where I have no opinion on the drivers then I would tune in to current day NASCAR Cup Series, and I would be asleep on lap 40. Welcome back Steve!

I don't detest CAPCO at all. I have a lot of respect for anyone who beats back cancer; several in my family didn't. I have tons of respect for those two badass cars of theirs. Got respect for all the smaller teams they lend assistance and parts to. I'm pleased to see them returning to action in Phoenix; the sport needs their participation. There's a lot of positive things about the Torrences.

That being said, there's not a lot in that NBC Sports piece that I believe. I'll leave out all the details of my opinions, which wouldn't mean zilch to the Torrences or anyone else in the first place, except to say I have a feeling that a substantial part of their decision had to do with the fact that right or wrong, they would have been as welcome in Pomona as the Coronavirus; they knew it and had no interest in spending $300,000 or so returning to the 'scene of the crime' just to spend the weekend dealing with booing, people coming by their pit areas and mouthing off, vandalism like what happened after the incident in November - and since missing that one race will have minimal effect on their Championship chances, they made the decision to just start in Phoenix.

That might be off base; we'll never know; they ain't gonna admit something like that and I guess you can't blame 'em. But I'll bet it's a more accurate assessment than the Torrences' blame-everyone-else-but-us press release.

Between the Daytona 500 this week and the return of team Torrence next week I know I will be glued to the tv. As of now it looks like the weather is going to be around 70 degrees for the evening Q session on Fri. Hopefully they can put some stellar numbers on the board and go low on Fri and then seal a three peat on Sun before leaving the desert. The only thing that might trump that would be if Palmer or Clay secured a win. Damn! having the time to be a fan again and rooting for certain teams is kind of fun. :)

Between the Daytona 500 this week and the return of team Torrence next week I know I will be glued to the tv. As of now it looks like the weather is going to be around 70 degrees for the evening Q session on Fri. Hopefully they can put some stellar numbers on the board and go low on Fri and then seal a three peat on Sun before leaving the desert. The only thing that might trump that would be if Palmer or Clay secured a win. Damn! having the time to be a fan again and rooting for certain teams is kind of fun. :)

Palmer, for sure. And Millican hoisting a trophy is always nice. The Torrences? If they win, then good on them and good on you; it's always nice to see your chosen team bring home the bacon. But come November, the one I want to see holding the Championship hardware is Doug Kalitta.

Palmer, for sure. And Millican hoisting a trophy is always nice. The Torrences? If they win, then good on them and good on you; it's always nice to see your chosen team bring home the bacon. But come November, the one I want to see holding the Championship hardware is Doug Kalitta.
He definitely has a good shot again this year. He has come so close in the past it is hard not to feel bad for that team if they don't get one soon because who knows how long he will keep racing.

and when steve wins this year, whether rite away in phoenix, or another race down the road, i'm sure nbc sports will be the first to report it. :rolleyes:
nhra should be thanking steve for shoving cameron. it has given nhra more publicity in a week, than it has got in 12 years and 72 races of the countdown era :rolleyes:

Amen on that Doug Kalitta comment.

I am doubtful that had the Torrence's returned to the scene of the crime (Pomona) that the fans would have gone crazy and vandalized, etc. Maybe some booing when he came up the return road, but I'm doubtful it would have been much more than that. But what do I know? People in this current day and age loose their poop over the tiniest of things. Oh to be WOKE!

And in case anyone cares, without a stupid countdown this would have never happened.

How's that? So the countdown caused them to miss the first race? The countdown caused Steve to push a competitor in the face? Oh, OK, got it!

I'm just looking forward to other drivers deep staging on him ;) It not that I dislike him, I just think how he acted at the end of the season was quite childish.

the countdown causes everything. it can even be linked to kevin bacon.

Mmmmm.....bacon....drool

drool.jpg

It could very well be that, though the Torrences may have agreed that there should be a punishment, they thought the level of punishment was unjust. I mean, come on, $25K? This is not the NBA where players are making multi millions. As far as the anger management, well, ok maybe but that could be a bit of a stretch as well. At any rate, I could see that if negotiations in the appeal process went south they may just say we are done...for now at least. If it took NHRA as long as Mamma is saying then it could easily come down to the wire. It is not a question of whether the could enter the race, it is a matter of if they would.
So a family worth a fortune and pocketing a check for $500000.00 at the same race that incurred the fine somehow thought it was excessive and unjust? 👎

So a family worth a fortune and pocketing a check for $500000.00 at the same race that incurred the fine somehow thought it was excessive and unjust? 👎
Their personal wealth or prize money doesn't have anything to do with it. How would you like it somebody in your tax bracket got a $500 fine for something then you do the same thing and get fined $5000 and told to attend anger management classes. NHRA is hypocritical and not consistent with their judgement, punishments and fines.

I have to admit to being just a little pissed whenever I see reference to the Torrences having a fortune.....Not too long ago, Billy was wielding a torch (as, no doubt, the Salinas patriarch was too). Sure, relatively speaking, Stevo has had some advantages but, they (like the Salinas) earned their fortune by working really hard (and smart). IPS: I'll bet Steve can handle a torch too.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back