What's your favorite Drag Racing "Slang" term? (1 Viewer)

Most of the easy ones mentioned, but here's a few:

Hung the wheels---wheelie
Whacked the throttle
The Big End---close to the finish line
The Traps-----finish line clocks
Nipped a few --burnt pistons
An old classic--"Fuelcar" -- obviously TF & FC
Awful-Awfuls -- AA/FAs
Backed 'er down---take power away
Lit it up-----caught fire
Grabbed a handful of brake
Tossed the belt
Huffer, Puffer, Blower
The Long Skinny Cars
Bad Job of Redlighting (perfect or near perfect light)

"pour it in, cap it quick and ask yourself WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HERE?"
from the Orange County days, ads for the funny car shows.
I think it was Steve Evans voice?

"pour it in, cap it quick and ask yourself WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING HERE?"
from the Orange County days, ads for the funny car shows.
I think it was Steve Evans voice?

when I read that my mind automatically heard it in Steve Evans' voice, so you may be right

"Put a hole out"
"Went on it's lid"
"Hat" for blower injector
"Slept" for someone who was late leaving the line

A few have mentioned it, but I've always loved "Loud Pedal", I used that as my screen name before 'Mater went to real names.

"Blew his doors off!"
"Marchin' "

am pretty sure it was Steve Evans as he was managing the county at the time.
I believe he also did a stint at Irwindale?
He was a good promoter and good for drag racing.

One I've heard recently from friends who don't run Stock eliminator "Alarm Stocks" since some think they have to be up at the crack of dawn warming up the truck/car.

love it . . . woke up plenty of times right at 8am thanks to those guys cruising the pits.

reminds me of "bracket racket" for some big tire car with a stock 350/302 and open headers.

My other tree phrase is "knocked the tree down on him".

"Slip 'n slide" for a greasy track . . .

"You could measure his (60ft or Reaction) with a sundial"

I heard Shirley Muldowney fesiciously comment that a rival teams crewchief

opon being hired for an outragous sum of money "the greatest thing since the

funnel"...............Priceless

another favorite of mine is a term coined by Don Prudhomme "rip their throats out'' meaning not only to win the race, but to absolutely crush the competition in the process, similar to what he did in the mid seventies !

The phrase we used on Tony P's car in 03 when we won the championship was "ROTHASDTT"
Rip Off Their Heads And $H!t Down Their Throats!

"Never looked back?"

If I hear one more announcer spew that over-used phrase, I'm gonna puke!

It makes NO sense! Why (except in handicap classes, where you NEVER hear it) would ANYONE driving a really fast drag car "look back" at his competition during the run???

This shows up in online reporting, also, and makes no more sense there than it does from live announcing.

Not only is it nonsensical, but it gets really tiresome.

I know that announcing a race (or, reporting one online) is a grueling, exacting, really tedious job, and I surely could never do it, but I just see no sense in saying things like "he never looked back" over and over, when it didn't make any sense the first time...

My favorite slang term is "Wheelie."

"Never looked back?"

If I hear one more announcer spew that over-used phrase, I'm gonna puke!

It makes NO sense! Why (except in handicap classes, where you NEVER hear it) would ANYONE driving a really fast drag car "look back" at his competition during the run???

This shows up in online reporting, also, and makes no more sense there than it does from live announcing.

Not only is it nonsensical, but it gets really tiresome.

I know that announcing a race (or, reporting one online) is a grueling, exacting, really tedious job, and I surely could never do it, but I just see no sense in saying things like "he never looked back" over and over, when it didn't make any sense the first time...

My favorite slang term is "Wheelie."

Check the eytomology of the phrase. It didn't originate in drag racing and it is not meant literally.
Cheers,
Ed
"Never look back, somethin' might be gainin' on ya.'" Satchel Paige

Mike Dunn used one on one of the telecasts:

Pour the coals to it!! :)

Not sure that it is "Drag Race" slang, but you immediately knew what he meant!

Mike Dunn used one on one of the telecasts:

Pour the coals to it!! :)

Not sure that it is "Drag Race" slang, but you immediately knew what he meant!

Yeah, funny how Mike Dunn and Paul Page made a point to talk about the 'phrases' they use in describing the runs... They even showed a replay of Mike's call of John Force "Sashay" run from the last race, (WHICH IS WHAT PROMPTED THIS THREAD)....

Experiment accomplished...

Thanks ESPN for reading the thread... :cool:

Yeah, funny how Mike Dunn and Paul Page made a point to talk about the 'phrases' they use in describing the runs... They even showed a replay of Mike's call of John Force "Sashay" run from the last race, (WHICH IS WHAT PROMPTED THIS THREAD)....

Experiment accomplished...

Thanks ESPN for reading the thread... :cool:

Interesting that you mention that, I noticed them showing and talking to fans getting their nitro "throttle wacks" and how it affected them. That was definitely mentioned on a thread here earlier...............:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back