What's your favorite Drag Racing "Slang" term? (1 Viewer)

This is not a slang term by any means, but it's the most beautiful, meaningful words ever uttered at any drag strip. Do you remember chief NHRA announcer Bernie Partridge?

As the last tones of the national anthem faded on Labor Day morning you could hear the vicious cackle of the first two top fuelers, and Bernie would say....

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the fastest accelerating vehicles in the world, TOP FUEL ELIMINATOR!"

And that first pair, came charging and bouncing to the line, angrily, as the crowd rose to its feet...

Sitting in the stands we were far enough away to not get watery eyes from the nitro. But I'll bet there were hundreds of us in those stands whose eyes got misty!

We seem to always remember Steve Evans, and Mac, and we should. But if you haven't heard Bernie you really missed something good. And if you do remember Bernie Partridge, well, you know what I mean.

Last edited:
back in the days before five gallon puke tanks

"the green fog caught up with em"

when a fuel car would put out a fog of oil and then explode in a fireball

"run over the tire"

tire shake

"set er down" as in "i was heading out of the groove and had to set her down"
when a car would carry the front wheels to half track or beyond and smoke em when they touched down

"burn it to the rods"
when you melt a piston and torch the top of the rods,

Last edited:
I'd rather be blown ! Up on the bumper ! Asleep at the hit ! Who's Yo Daddy ! Caught napping at the hit ! Everything but the can !
Zoomes ! Front Runners , Skinnies ! Flying Commode Carbs ! The Big Nasty [The Sang Term for Navasota Tx Drag Strip ]. The Big Go [ Indy ] , Fiery Burnouts ! All over the track ! On a Wire ! A Pro Car that is said to be consistent as a bracket racer !

One I wish I could hear is 32 car fields !

just thought of this: buzzard catcher

"Buzzard Catcher" is an actual product name..... not a slang term.

Scroll down
(just one of many links found from a quick google search)

I always thougt it was slang I was wrong. But I still like it, slang or not.

"Buzzard Catcher" was just evolutionary progression from "Bug catcher" then "Bird Catcher". Since we are now out of the animal or insect kingdom in relation to size, I guess the next size injector product line will be the "Plane Catcher".

"Jack Be Nibble, Jack be quick,
Beat that Hydro with your Stick.
On Your Car, Our Bets Do Ride...
But Lose This Race, And It's Your Hide"

that was from Car-toons back around '67 or so.

d'kid

"Buzzard Catcher" was just evolutionary progression from "Bug catcher" then "Bird Catcher". Since we are now out of the animal or insect kingdom in relation to size, I guess the next size injector product line will be the "Plane Catcher".

AL,
you forget this one in the animal or insect kingdom in relation to size
..."Pterodactyl catcher"
...and the complement "niagara falls fuel pump"

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back