two years ago today we lost Eric Medlen (1 Viewer)

I will never forget sitting in the hospital with Brandon, J.R., Morgan and a number of others waiting for someone to tell us he was O.K. And then when John Medlen came out and gave us the news. Nor will I ever forget when I got the call saying that he was gone.

Two years ago I sat down and wrote a little story about Eric. I showed it to his dad, who told me I should publish it, but I never did. Today I'm going to share, here it is,

Eric Medlen must have known that he didn’t have a lot of time, because Eric was in a hurry, always. Did you ever watch him pack the chutes? Did you ever watch him put decals on a new body? Did you ever watch him mixing fuel? Eric was in a hurry. Did you ever watch him working the ropes? He bounced from fan to fan, he could barely be still long enough to take a picture. And he wasn’t hurrying to get it over with, he was hurrying because he had to bounce over to the next thing. When it was time to warm up the car, he would hop into the seat. After a run he would pop out of the hatch, and if we were going to do an interview, he couldn’t stand still. That was Eric, he didn’t walk, he bounced through life. He was full of energy, positive energy, energy that must have kept regenerating, because he shared it with everyone but never seemed to run out.

Eric wasn’t much of a dreamer, he didn’t have time. Eric was a doer. When he was a kid, he admired his dad. John Medlen was involved in many different forms of racing. He was and is a master machinist, engine builder and tuner. But Eric didn’t dream about being like his dad, he did it. From the time he could pick up a broom, he went to work with his dad. He learned how to run the machines, how to make things, how to fix things and what made things tick. There wasn’t much that Eric couldn’t handle.

Then his mom and dad split up, and John moved away. Eric had some cousins that were into horses and Rodeo’s. Eric didn’t look at them and dream about being a cowboy. He did it. He put on a hat, got on a horse and grabbed a rope. And with the same enthusiasm that he always had, he jumped in with both feet. By the time he finished high school, Eric was a Champion. And was preparing to make his mark as a Professional Cowboy.

After graduation his dad called with an offer. Come to work as a crewman for John Force Racing. How many people dream about doing that? The chance to be with his dad was enough (just barely) to get him to give up the saddle. And off he went. Eric loved being a crew guy, working first on the team led by his dad, and then on the bosses team. If it needed to be done Eric could do it. Eric knew the car from front to back and everywhere in between. Welding, plumbing, wiring, or bolting it together, just tell Eric what need to be done, and get out of the way.

Somewhere along the way, between winning races and championships, as a member of John Force’s crew, Eric decided he wanted to drive. He didn’t dream about someday doing it, he went to work to make it happen. He scrimped, saved and even sold a few of his prized possessions, to attend Frank Hawley’s school to get a little experience and a license. He might not have known when or where, but if an opportunity came along he was ready. When the call came, even Eric had to be surprised, it wasn’t a low budget part time ride. It was the Championship Winning car from the previous year, tuned by his dad, that needed a driver. And Eric was the perfect fit. In his first year, he won a race and finished top 5 in the PowerAde points.

Over the next couple of years, Eric won five more races, became a fan favorite, and an ESPN favorite as well. His enthusiasm was infectious, his smile, ever present, his attitude constantly positive. If they were winning it was all about the team. I can’t count the number of times Eric would say “My dad, and Jason and all my guys are doing a great job, all I do is stand on the gas” He LOVED his team, and they felt the same about him. If they weren’t doing so well, Eric would take much more of the blame than he deserved. In all the times I talked to him at the track, at the shop at dinner, or on the phone I never heard him say anything bad about anyone. And believe me, you can’t say that about me.

This guy even dated a cheerleader, and not just any cheerleader, but a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader. How many people watch Monday Night Football and dream about that? Not Eric, he didn’t dream about it, he went out and did it.

Those are just a few examples, there are many more. But Eric was a doer not a dreamer, and if I’ve learned one thing from this, I’m going to start doing some of the things that I’ve been dreaming about. And I mean now. I don’t know how much more time that I have, but I do know that I’ve wasted way to much. So in honor of Eric, I’m going to try to bounce more, and gripe less.

After all, how many dreams do you have that you are going to try to accomplish “someday”?

Me too, so I’m starting today.

Alan Reinhart

Alan, all I can say is WOW!! You hit it right on the head. As with many others, tonight will be an ice cream night at my house ;)

rest in piece eric, you will NEVER be forgotten, i will enjoy a big bowl of mint chocolate chip just for you eric.

Flag me down at the races and ask about my favorite Eric story. I can't print it here (PG-13) but I will be happy to tell you about it.

Alan

with all the talk of Natasha Richardson and head injurys, it brought back some sad memories of what happened to Eric. I'll never forget exactly were i was when I read about it, in my high school typing class, actually got in trouble for checking the website everyday afterwards hoping that it'd say he was doing well. Sadly as we all know we didn't get to read those headlines but the all the great memories of Eric remain. I met him at maple grove in 2005 and could not have been a more cordial person. Pint of gadzooks from wawa after clas is my small way of paying tribute to him. RIP Eric, we all miss you and your smile

Alan that was a great tribute.

I will never forget where I was when I found out he had passed away. That day does not seem like it was two years ago already.

Here is my tribute I made after he passed.

YouTube - Eric Medlen

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back